The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Music Hall of Fame

Home Forums Lounge Music Hall of Fame

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Best Single: Soaky In The Pooper, by Lambchop

Best Album: The Queen Is Dead, by The Smiths

Best Band: Boards of Canada

Best Solo Performer: Beth Gibbons (Portishead)

Best Gig: Super Furry Animals (Leeds University, October 2001)

Lifetime Achievement Award: David Bowie

Tip For The Top in 2005: Antony and The Johnsons

Most Hated: Celine Dion

……….

Feel free to add your own suggestions/additional categories.

zome
    • Total Posts 232

Best Single: Elastica – Connection.

Best Album:  Elastica – Elastica.

Best Band: Elastica.

Best Solo Performer:  PJ Harvey.

Best Gig: Le Tigre – Carling Academy Islington 14th October 2004.

Lifetime Achievement Award:  Kathleen Hanna.

Tip For The Top in 2005:  Erase Errata.

Most Hated: U2 and Mariah Carey.

(Edited by zome at 5:54 pm on April 3, 2005)

kingmonkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 843

Best Single: Made Of Stone, by The Stone Roses

Best Album: Let It Come Down, by Spiritualized

Best Band: The Waterboys

Best Solo Performer: Nick Cave

Best Gig: Polyphonic Spree- anywhere on their last tour

Lifetime Achievement Award: Nick Cave

Tip For The Top in 2005: Arcade Fire

Most Hated: Manic Street Preachers (If you tolerate them, Simple Minds will be next)

And a suggestion for another category…

Criminally Ignored: Tindersticks

KM

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Best Single: "Of the Perfect Kind", by the Field Mice<br>(except it was never released as a single, so I’d probably have to go for "Sparrows and the Nightingales" by Wolfsheim).

Best Album: "Skywriting" by the Field Mice, or "Sing to God" by Cardiacs

Best Band: Field Mice again, or else Stereolab

Best Solo Performer: Laura Cantrell or Barbara Morgenstern

Best Gig: Magnetic Fields doing the entire "69 Love Songs" over two nights at the Hammersmith Lyric Theatre a few years back

Lifetime Achievement Award: John Peel

Tip For The Top in 2005: The Real Tuesday Weld, KT Tunstall

Most Hated: Oh God, too many to choose, but Dido has to rank highly.

Criminally Ignored: at the moment, that’d have to be Trembling Blue Stars

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Are you a fan of Future Bible Heroes (offshoot of Magnetic Fields), jeremy? I have one album by them, which is very good. With the exception of The Montgolfier Brothers, Stereolab must qualify as my most-seen band. There was scarcely a month that went by circa 1992-1996 when I didn’t see them plying their trade at some venue or other.

Most criminally ignored: Divine Comedy and Tindersticks.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Best Single: Screamager – Therapy? (wonderfully screwed up)

Best Album: Lipslide – Sarah Cracknell (perfect pop pap)

Best Band: Depeche Mode (of course)

Best Solo Performer: Tori Amos (again ‘of course’)

Best Gig: Lush – somewhere in Brixton, 1992 (before they went crap; supported by some useless unknowns fronted by a Jim Morrison wannabe – Pulp!)

Lifetime Achievement Award: Leonard Cohen (although John Peel is an excellent call)

Tip For The Top in 2005: Fightstar (could be well wide of the mark here, but i think they actually might be good – and they already have the prerequisite ugly drummer)

Most Hated: Roxette (call that a band? atrocious!)

Criminally Ignored: NOW = Garbage (why are they so low-profile?), THEN = The Heart Throbs (‘jubilee twist’ is an essential indie album…)

And my suggestion for another category…

Most overhyped/over-rated: Badly-Drawn Boy (i just don’t get it)

(Edited by non vintage at 12:17 am on April 7, 2005)

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Best Single – REM ‘Losing my Religion’

Best Album – Difficult one this….probably System of a Down ‘self titled’ or Muse – ‘Absolution’

Best Band – System again!

Best solo performer – I don’t generally like solo performers, but I’m going back to my childhood and saying John Denver

Best gig – System at Nottingham Arena, where I got backstage passes. Sheer bliss! But an honerable mention goes to Muse at the same venue. Stunning!

Lifetime Achievement – Freddie Mercury

Most hated – Incubus

<br>I can’t think of anything for the other categories

Seven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 607

Favourite Song: Travelling Light by Tindersticks or Islands in the Stream by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton

Favourite Album: Cats and Dogs by Royal Trux

Favourite Band: The Smiths

Favourite Singer – Sam Cooke  (Male) Grace Slick or Marlena Shaw (Female)

Best gigs – Ramones 1992 Birmingham Hummingbird a 16th Birthday present from my Mum & Dad. Royal Trux at Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall 1995 where I got to meet the band. Spiritualized London Astoria 1997 & Red House Painters Shepherds Bush Empire 1999?

Lifetime Achievement – A tie between Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Leadbelly & Woody Guthrie

Most underrated album – Eleven:Eleven by Come

I’m suprised so many people on here like the same music as I do. Mix that with a love of horse racing we must all have incredibly poor taste!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Prufrock on 12:46 pm on April 4, 2005[br]Are you a fan of Future Bible Heroes (offshoot of Magnetic Fields), jeremy? I have one album by them, which is very good. With the exception of The Montgolfier Brothers, Stereolab must qualify as my most-seen band. There was scarcely a month that went by circa 1992-1996 when I didn’t see them plying their trade at some venue or other.

Most criminally ignored: Divine Comedy and Tindersticks.<br>

<br>FBH are also damned fine, although the preponderance of doodles and 30-second songs makes "Eternal Youth" a lot less satisfying than "Memories of Love". Can’t think of too much Stephin (sic) Merritt has touched which I haven’t enjoyed – have you heard either of his albums as The 6ths, Simon? Essentially Magnetic Fields-type fare but with guest singers on every track.

Glad to see Heart Throbs getting a mention here also – had "I Wonder Why" on the other day as part of an old compilation I’d dug up. Whither Rose Carlotti nowadays?

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I’m not that familiar with Mr Merritt’s other work but plan to check out The 6ths asap.

Antony and The Johnsons are playing Manchester at the end of June and some of the usual crowd will be making it across the Pennines for the show. Tickets are selling fast I believe.

(Edited by Prufrock at 7:21 pm on April 15, 2005)

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Rough resume of guests on tracks by The 6ths; Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy), Gary Numan, Amelia Fletcher (Heavenly / Talulah Gosh), Momus, Barbara Manning, Sally Timms (Mekons), Bob Mould (Husker Du / Sugar), Clare Grogan, Marc Almond, Mary Timony (Helium), Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo), Lou Barlow (Sebadoh).

A curious ongoing project, all told.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Best Single: "Of the Perfect Kind", by the Field Mice<br>(except it was never released as a single, so I’d probably have to go for "Sparrows and the Nightingales" by Wolfsheim).

Best Album: "Skywriting" by the Field Mice, or "Sing to God" by Cardiacs

Best Band: Field Mice again, or else Stereolab

Best Solo Performer: Laura Cantrell or Barbara Morgenstern

Best Gig: Magnetic Fields doing the entire "69 Love Songs" over two nights at the Hammersmith Lyric Theatre a few years back

Lifetime Achievement Award: John Peel

Tip For The Top in 2005: The Real Tuesday Weld, KT Tunstall

Most Hated: Oh God, too many to choose, but Dido has to rank highly.

Criminally Ignored: at the moment, that’d have to be Trembling Blue Stars

I was idly re-reading this thread a few minutes ago. I’m surprised how little has changed – all my "best"s are pretty much the same (I think I’d be minded to add Felix Kubin or Silver Apples to my best solo act entry), I’d still like to drop Dido down a deep well, and TBS remains the best band not currently appearing in a hit parade near you.

Doesn’t look like I was too far our with KT Tunstall, either, even though her second album proved to be a bit smelly.

Probably a bit late in the year to start nominating a Tip for the Top in 2008, though I quite like the cut of Operator Please’s jib – which ought to please them, as I know they cut it themselves. Looking further ahead, I’ll be keeping an eye on the progress of Belle and Sebastian / Camera Obscura-influenced newcomers Rosie Taylor Project next year.

gc

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7853

really disappointed with Operator Pleases album which I bought after seeing them on Jules Holland..will give it another go…..

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Best Single: Their is a light, The Smiths/ Motorcycle Emptiness , Manic Street Preachers

Best Album: Octopus, Human League

Best Band: Pet Shop Boys/Erasure,Human League

Best Solo Performer: Amy MacDonald/Beth Rowley/Helen Boulding

Best Gig: Erasue, Manchester Apollo 2004

Lifetime Achievement Award: Vince Clark

Tip For The Top in 2008: Beth Rowley

Most Hated: Mika,Chris Moyles,Radio 1

Most Overated: Coldplay,Madonna

……….

Feel free to add your own suggestions/additional categories.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Sorry, those above are my selections and not the other guy quoted.

Made a balls up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.