The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Most under-rated horse of recent times?

Home Forums Horse Racing Most under-rated horse of recent times?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8782

Following publication of the world rankings the other day I got to thinking….on ratings (Racing Post, Timeform, Official ratings whatever) who do you think is the most under-rated horse of recent times (say, the last twenty years? Flat or jumps

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1493

Tough one to answer. I do miss horses like Harbinger who looked like a monster when winning the KG. Florida Pearl won a G1 in 7 different seasons I think without winning the GC. Kauto Star could have won a few CC in the years he ran. But would you call them underrated?

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1975

I think Zarkava was better than her rating

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17046

Without a shadow of a doubt, Seabass.

By a country mile, the best chaser of 2012, and was way ahead of his rating. It beggars belief that he wasn’t entered in The 2012 Gold Cup, he would have won it without breaking sweat.

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

In my opinion it was Katchit who only received a mark of 166 for winning a crack renewal of the Champion Hurdle in 2008. When you consider that Bincoluar was awarded 172 and Rock On Ruby 170 it’s beggars belief that Katchit (who in my opinion on his day was as good as any Champion Hurdle winner) didn’t receive at least 172.

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1493

I think there is almost no better runner-up at the highest level than Youmzain. Three Arc seconds, a 2nd and 3rd in the KG and twice a runner-up in the Coronation Cup plus numerous other G1 placings.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1193

Both Katchit and Youmzain are very good choices.

Can scour the ratings allday and argue about a few llbs either way but theres more to a horse than a RPR or timeform rating bounced off one freak performance

A horse i thought was fabulous and raced consistently at a high level up until a grand age was Monkerhostin. What a horse to own

thejudge1thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Frankel.

Often overlooked, especially on here B-)

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

Probably a contentious choice , but my “under-rated ” horse has to be Best Mate .

Often berated by those self proclaimed students ( and professors ) of the form book , I think Henrietta Knight’s 3 times Cheltenham Gold Cup winner was not only a smashing looking horse but he had exceptional ability and would have held his own against most other Gold Cup winners , Arkle aside .

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1193

Thats a fair point.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2902

One that’s fresh in the mind is the official handicappers treatment of Blaklion.

The handicapping of the Charlie Hall chase altogether is absolutely baffling. Bristol De Mai and Blaklion fight out a close finish and there is 23 lengths back to the third yet Bristol only goes up 1 pound while amazingly Blaklion goes down 2 pounds while the 3rd 23 lengths back Definitly Red goes down only 1 pound.

No wonder Blaklion started 7/4 and hacked up in the Becher. How often have you seen a horse start at that price in a similar race over the National fences? Gone up to the only 161 after the Becher, that’s something near the rating he should have been after the Charlie Hall.

Reckon whoever was responsible for handicapping the Charlie Hall and Blaklion in particular must have been either blind drunk at the time or have a long range bet on Blaklion for the National and doing all they can too help.
    Bet Blaklion’s connections couldn’t believe their luck and think all their birthday’s have come at once.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5770

Fair points, yeats. Handicappers seem baffled by soft or heavy ground when large distances feature in the placings – to be fair, P Smith admitted that with the Betfair.

There’s a huge amount of guessing goes on in racing under the guise of ‘professional’ judges and ‘experts’.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

PigsInBlankets
    Participant
    • Total Posts 53

In recent times the one that springs to mind is Un de Sceaux, more specifically ahead of his Ryanair win at Cheltenham last year. Up to that point it seemed as though everything he had achieved and the style which he won races at the top grade were being widely overlooked – solely because of the Champion Chase defeat to Sprinter Sacre

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1485

I think underrated horse is a bit like which one of those 2 do you fancy the brunette or the blonde? In other words it’s who you ask.

I think Un De Sceaux has been brilliant myself so if me and Pigsinblankets and 5 other Un De Sceaux fans are in a room singing his praises then he’s not underrated.

I hope you understand what I’m getting at.lol

Chivers1987Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 890

Farhh, for Saeed Bin Suroor. I loved this horse. 2nd to the brilliant Nathaniel in the Eclipse, twice 2nd to the almighty one Frankel in the Sussex and Juddmonte, 2nd to the awesome Moonlight Cloud in the Moulin before going on to a group 1 double in the Lockinge and Champion stakes. Had his injury problems but never put in a bad run and hopefully he will continue his decent start as a sire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.