The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Morning line poll

Home Forums Archive Topics Morning line poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

The morning line did a poll with the same questions this morning. The result was 38% approve and 62% disapprove.<br>I wondered if their result was a result of their viewer make up or if this is the prevelant view in horse racing.<br>

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Maybe it was something to do with viewers with dial-up modems being unable to call in because they were on betfair.

Steve

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

There were 3009 votes.

I wouldn’t mind betting that a lot of them could be traced back to bookmakers and those who work for bookmakers.

johnt4124
    • Total Posts 36

Since 1994 I have kept detailed records of my bets, the price I took and the starting price for comparison.

At the start of 2003 I started betting on the exchanges, while still keeping a record of the starting price of each horse I backed.

I quickly found that I was far better off taking exchange prices. I was better off taking a price compared to sp prior to going onto the exchanges, but nothing like to the same degree.

There may well be more cheating than in pre-exchange days, and probably it will be hard to eradicate but the alternative, a Hills/Ladbrokes dominated market would surely see a lot less money going back into the punters pocket. The big bookmakers (and BHB) have consistently complained that the margins on horse racing are too small, no doubt preferring BAGs type over-rounds but I do not think many punters would. It seems to me that this is the alternative we are being offered to the exchanges and I for one do not like the idea at all.

So I am firmly in favour of the exchanges. I deplore the on going shenanigans, but closing the exchanges and putting myself into the hands of the big bookmakers  has no appeal at all.

nore
    • Total Posts 151

Very sharp of Lesley Graham when she turned to Barry Dennis for the Bismarck:[br]<br>’So, time to pick a loser…’

Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

I have decided I will take the result of this poll and email it to channel 4 racing at 9 am on monday.

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

TDK is spot on in my view. In our tiny little world we are inclined to forget that most punters don’t give a monkeys about half the things we spend so much time and effort agonising over. Also, the Morning Line audience is a very broad church. I’m amazed how often I find non racing people who will often sit and watch the show and some who wouldn’t miss it!<br>The clincher though is the ridiculously simplistic question, asked as it was after several minutes of discussion on how racing’s good name has been dragged through the mire.;)

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

That is obviously a possibility, tdk, I wasn’t wishing to suggest otherwise.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Thought Barry got well and truly chinned in the debate with Mr Davies

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

IMHO, The Morning Line lost some credibilty! e.g. Tanya!– "IF" I had an account" who is she trying to fool? and as for Barry Dennis! I’m lost for words! (not really! most of them are expletives) that may well be the last time I watch– or tune in to "Lay" their tips! utter crap!  68% don’t have computers?     :angry:

ricky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

I agree , it was appaling!,if ever you needed  a reason to give this show a miss todays offering was ample !!!

Pathetic ,

Wonder what Barry would do if Betfair just told him to take his hedging business elsewhere , ????

<br>Paul Haig was brilliant today , he tells the truth , those mean bookies will be redundant soon , and they know it , all  they will have is fobt and cartoon punters , Horse players will have migrated to exchanges

<br>R 😮

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

barys statements about bookies not knowing about ..ahem…horses that were not going to win  (and i will bring up BRAVEFOOT AGAIN AND AGAIN) had me choking on my cornflakes

I saw him at kempton today and should have given him a betfair umberella (no suggestions where please…:biggrin: )

But fair play to him…he comes on here (could have pharsed that better maybe) and doesnt hide behind dodgy shades and a camel ahir coat like so many of his colleagues

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

Somewhat harsh judgement there Mr Davies, if I may say so.

I’m surprised anyone was watching it today, what with the events in Russia.  However, some of us do quite enjoy the programme.

It’s a pity they didn’t stick to what the Morning Line was meant to be about,  i.e. discussing the day’s racing, which was due off at 11.30 from Folkestone.  Further, if they insist on spending time on in depth discussions of betting exchanges, perhaps one of them could actually show me, a novice,  just how I place a bet on these darn things.

Ian, having sacked them, I would like to know who you would replace them with for a new programme, just to see whether I would watch it or not.   Thanks. xx

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Yeah, why don’t we scrap ALL horseracing programmes, that way there will be no complaints 😉

some people are just never happy!

If there’s something on TV you don’t like then the simple thing is NOT to watch it, that’s what I do and it works for me.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I didn’t say you said you wanted to scrap it.

I read the word association threads now and again to see people make a fool of themselves by posting words that have nothing to do with the previous word :laugh: but having read what you’ve written Ian it looks like you want a racing programme with people who you’d like to see on it, it’s not what you want that counts I’m afraid 🙁  try mellowing out once in a while, vallium may be a good idea.

ps. if I were a lounge moderator I’d have already deleted the word association thread but I’m not I only moderate the betting tips section 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.