The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

More errors to go in the form book

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks More errors to go in the form book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

That’s why I like to use Timeform, as their going description is based both on race times and one of their bods actually checking what the ground is like on the track themselves.

Good to see the RP website now including going based on times, as well as the official going.

Those using the "official" form book don’t stand a chance imo.<br>

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Hope you cleaned up today, EC. Your time analysis from yesterday was invaluable to my punting today.

Though I agree with you about the non-runners. I can see a major argument brewing on 48 hour decs.:o

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

i dont live a million miles away and it tipped down on Friday… Heaviest rain seen for a while

Sunny and nice breeze on sat, but just cant see how ground remained good/firm

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Is it me or were no soft ground horses winning at Ascot?

The jockeys said it was soft but it just wasn’t the times and the fact that good ground horses were not only winning but also filling most of the places proves that.

Dunno what’s going on but Ascot’s ground descriptions clearly aren’t right and its not good enough really to be honest.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

The overall point that the reporting of ground has to be sorted out is very important though…

Its a mess at the moment

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

The ground  may have been on the soft side on friday but by saturday, I thought the ground had dried out to at least good. The Clerk of Ascot course boasted back in June that Ascot now had one of the best racecourse drainage systems in the world and maybe he is right?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

the straight track is still the same track..

I thought they had moved the winning post …. or am I confusing myself and it waas York that moved the post?

Steve

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

It would appear that unless the race is run shortly after the deluge, the water will have drained away within an hour. There was some strange timings at one of their other rain affected meetings if i remeber correctly?

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 656

I thought they had moved the straight course over by about 100 yds. This could make a lot of difference to any form reckoning. I think we have all got to start again at Ascot

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

Agreed totally different now. Amazing looking track IMO. drainage should take away extremes of ground. I’m still using the old times adjusted (to the magic FORMULA:biggrin: )untill i have enough data.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Quote: from EC on 11:01 pm on Sep. 24, 2006[br]Purwell

on top of that..fast ground horses were winning..i just don’t see where they are getting Good/soft from.

(Edited by EC at 11:01 pm on Sep. 24, 2006)

They had a lot of rain so assumed it had to be soft I think. All the jockeys I heard said they thought it was riding soft to them to so I suppose officials have taken note of this.

The course must have a very strange feel to it thats all I can say because there shouldn’t have been any mention of soft in the going description at all.

(Edited by The Market Man at 11:10 pm on Sep. 24, 2006)

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

So, i must assume it was wet or had just rained before race 1, water was still  in the ground, hence soft. After that the water drained away and nobody noticed? :biggrin:

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

Oooops! that theories dead, 1st race was one of the quick ones, what about York last year when then the top was flying off yet still excellent times. It’s all a bit wierd.:o

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

that wouldn’t change the terrain..

If they moved the winning post forward (or back), surely it would change the times as Ascot has an uphill finish?

Steve

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

does anybody know EXACTLY how far left or right the straight has been moved at Ascot and if the new straight has its starts exactly perpendicular to the starts on the old course.  If somebody does I can put it into some fancy mapping software I have and put up graphs of old and new course profiles to compare the ups and downs on both

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.