The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Monsieur Chevalier

Home Forums Horse Racing Monsieur Chevalier

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited watching a flat race as today watching this horse. Couldn’t believe the manner in which he won. A sort of Arazi meets Dayjur moment….

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

If he was mine I’d be sorely tempted to supplement him for the Nunthorpe.

shmeeko69
    • Total Posts 237

It was absolutely brilliant how Hughes managed to get through that pack from 2F out. I honestly thought he was a gonner & always come home with a late charge.. Fantastic,backers must have been sweating !

Mark :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve been a fan since day one (backed against him yesterday :oops: )

One day Richard Hannon will run him over 6f and stop giving people heart attacks :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As admirable as he is, is it not a worry – at least as far as Nunthorpe aspirations etc are concerned – that Richard Hannon is running him so often whereas Canford Cliffs is left twiddling his thumbs (or the equine equivalent) at home?

His subsequent efforts certainly speak highly of Radiohead though, who had him well and truly cooked even before the interference.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The way he won yesterday was certainly fantastic but it was just a Group 3.

Also don’t see how Radiohead can be boosted so highly on the back of MC. The winner of Radiohead’s debut has been rubbish, the runner-up at Bath has been rubbish, Reignier was smashed by Arcano and beaten further by MC yesterday than Radiohead beat him by and Tawwaab, Nosedive & Diamond Johnny G were also smashed by Arcano.

MC’s poor run at Ascot was purely down to Hughes’ ride that day.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

One thing we all tend to agree on is that the majority of the current sprinting crop (especially over 5F) are an average bunch.

Monsieur Chevalier is such a laid back horse, you only have to look at the way he motors through a small gap without a moments hesitation as proof.

Connections admit they got the tactics wrong at Royal Ascot, so you can put a line through that piece of form. He needs to be ridden a certain way, so supporters of his will always have their heart tested!

No harm in going for the Nunthorpe. He would certainly go close, but there’s no guarantee he will train-on. The race should be run to suit and he’ll receive all the allowances.

Remember Kingsgate Native?

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Radiohead didn’t have a clue what was happening on his debut, first day at school and he didn’t really get the idea! Every horse has won at some level from that race. He could have won with 3 legs at Bath, improved every time he has stepped on the racecourse topped with his impressive win in the Norfolk. Would have beat MC whatever the circumstances on that occasion.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I know about his debut, a friend and I earmarked him for the Coventry immediately afterwards, but the purpose of my post was to destroy his form, not laud it :lol:

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

As admirable as he is, is it not a worry – at least as far as Nunthorpe aspirations etc are concerned – that Richard Hannon is running him so often whereas Canford Cliffs is left twiddling his thumbs (or the equine equivalent) at home?

His subsequent efforts certainly speak highly of Radiohead though, who had him well and truly cooked even before the interference.

According to Hannon’s website,the intention is to make hay while the sun shines with MC and sell him at the end of his 2 yr old season

Presumably CC is seen as a longer term prospect

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Monsieur Chevalier is a cracking little horse – speedy, tough and possessed of a great attitude.

But, he’s also very much a "made" 2-y-o, almost certain to make less than normal improvement over the next year.

It makes sense to kick on with him this season, anything he achieves as a 3-y-o or older will be a bonus.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Hughes has said the owners should supplement for York…and thats despite the fact he’d not be able to ride at the weights! Which poses a problem? Which jockey should be given the ride and would have the confidence to sit still on the horse like Hughesie does?

Would have to supplement him and give it a shot. If it doesn’t work there is still races like the Flying Childers at Donny and Middle Park to go for late in year.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

From the RP site:

"Monsieur Chevalier will not run in Nunthorpe

BY ANDREW SCUTTS10.19AM 3 AUG 2009

WEATHERBYS Super Sprint and Betfair Molecomb Stakes winner Monsieur Chevalier will not be supplemented for the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes, trainer Richard Hannon has confirmed.

Jockey Richard Hughes suggested that, as an out and out two-year-old, theNunthorpe should be considered by connections, following his come-from-behind victory at Goodwood last week.

However, Hannon considers the £20,000 fee to supplement the speedy youngster not worth the gamble.
    He told his website: "I know that Hughesie feels that the five-furlong division is weak and that we should make good use of the generous weight allowance, but I have never been a fan of supplementing horses and £20,000 is a lot of money."

Instead of trying to emulate Kingsgate Native and the Hannon-trained Lyric Fantasy by winning the Nunthorpe as a two-year-old, the trainer is looking to step Monsieur Chevalier up to 6f for the first time in the Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Gimcrack Stakes on August 19.

"He is already entered in the Gimcrack up there, and that is where we will probably go," he said."

Colin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.