The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Monitor Closely and the The ‘trainers know best’ argument…

Home Forums Horse Racing Monitor Closely and the The ‘trainers know best’ argument…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Seen as a miler by PW Chapple-Hyam, owner Mr Lawrie Inman – a 25 year old extremely successful city trader – was adamant that the horse needed 12 furlongs….and duly trots up in a Great Voltigeur before being supplemented for the Leger and priced up at 6-1!!

Trainer half jokingly apologise’s for a largely wasted 3yo campaign and they move on….:D

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Seen as a miler by PW Chapple-Hyam, owner Mr Lawrie Inman – a 25 year old extremely successful city trader – was adamant that the horse needed 12 furlongs….and duly trots up in a Great Voltigeur before being supplemented for the Leger and priced up at 6-1!!

Trainer half jokingly apologise’s for a largely wasted 3yo campaign and they move on….:D

However I can see where the trainer was coming from on breeding, especially on the sire side, being a son of sprinter Oasis Dream.

Be careful over the Leger as other targets are being mentioned in the press today

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I can understand the breeding side of the argument, but I found it quite funny that the city boy owner had been advising PCH to step him up on what he had seen with his eyes during MC’s races and was proven right!

I wont be backing MC for th Leger.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The horse isn’t necessarily better over 12f than shorter. Just extremely fortunate to get the run of the race in a very weak Voltigeur where the first 2 in the betting bombed out completely and Father Time once again dogged it.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

A couple of horses have clearly run below form, but I wouldn’t be quite so dismissive of MC’s performance. Allowing him to lead meant he settled for the first time this season and I don’t really see how he was in any way fortunate here. He had everything at work a long way from home and was going away from the field at the end – that isn’t the sign of a horse who has nicked a race with a soft lead?

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I have backed Monitor Closely every race he has ran in this season bar the other day. He settled a lot better the other day than in any of the previous races (with the exception of the Guineas in which he couldn’t lay up). I think the change of Jockey (Fortune replacing Munro) and the change of tactics (making the running not chasing the pace) helped the horse settle better and frankly he wasn’t stopping in the last furlong. Run of the race or not Monitor Closely was a very good winner of a good race.

dannyanders
    • Total Posts 35

father times different gravy to this thing and will have a great chance in the st leger with a good gallop this thing gt a 2 easy lead n no pace

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.