The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1537

"Before the race, this was being touted as Kauto’s biggest test to date"

By who ? I couldn’t see any of that mob getting near him, unless he made errors.

• Total Posts 2184

Nobody is crabbing the manner of the win. He can only beat whats put in front of him and he did that effortlessly.

I can’t recall anyone claiming it was his greatest test yet. If Kauto Star was a non-runner today – would anyone have really been anyway excited by that field? Bar Imperial Commander (who was beat after two furlongs), there was no real classy animals that were on the upgrade in the line up.

Its not Kauto Star’s fault that there’s not a lot of strength in depth in the staying ranks at the moment though – (apart from Denman of course but he’ll only ever meet him at Cheltenham).

• Total Posts 1415

This horse is something else. They went so fast that half the field were beaten by half way and Kauto barely broke sweat. The likes of Madison du Berlais couldn’t get near the front and run his usual race.

Arkle? Tell you what he wouldn’t beat Kauto Star I don’t care what anyone says. Complete and utter freak and he still keeps getting better and better.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

I still can’t seem to get emotional about Kauto Star winning but I was totally dumb struck by what I saw today. I’ve realised over the years that truly great horses tend to make the opposition look mediocre, but today’s performance did take me back to the Arkle years. Kauto Star is simply remarkable. He is indeed ‘extraterrestrial’.

• Total Posts 1415

Just watching RUK and Phil Smith the official handicapper is going to rate Arkle using todays rating methods.

Fair play to him. Whatever figure he comes up with and whoever he declares as the highest rated it’ll be far more accurate than Timeforms 212 nonsense.

• Total Posts 2184

Arkle? Tell you what he wouldn’t beat Kauto Star I don’t care what anyone says. Complete and utter freak and he still keeps getting better and better.

Of course Kauto Star would beat Arkle now. Arkle looks like this these days:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lcWPCZC8y39sSAZoilvrZQ

:wink:

• Total Posts 1982

My pre-race analysis wasn’t too shabby and I’ll post my full analysis of the race little later. :wink:

Two new records in one race. Already the first horse to regain a Gold Cup and the only horse to complete the King George / Gold Cup double on more than one occasion. What an incredible talent!

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Bosranic, you’re bang on the money – where was the "Kauto won’t have to be much to beat this lot" post ?

And this forum is usually so tough on the aftertimers….

• Total Posts 1982

Monksfield,

Page 5, mate.

Shame about Deep Purple. Hope he can comeback from his broken blood vessel.

Official winning margin…36L.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Monksfield,

Page 5, mate.

:oops: I still can’t see it ?

• Total Posts 1982

It’s there, trust me. :wink:

My page 1 summary wasn’t too bad, either. I even told you how Barbers Shop would be played. I’m glad my faith in him was rewarded. Looks an ideal Ryanair horse, in my opinion. There’s a decent prize in him.

I still can’t get over 36L. Hard to see that ever being beaten.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Jumps is not my main passion when it comes to racing but how people can even have the temerity to douse water on this fantastic achievement is beyond me. What more do people want. 4 King Georges on the trot with the fourth one a majestic almost contemptuous display of superiority. The horse was hacking up the entire straight after what looked like a very strong pace from which he was never that far off. Two Gold Cups with a third one to follow. The Arkle comparisons are tedious in the least. I have little doubt he would win a Hennessy carrying a ton. When he beats Denman again what will there be left to quibble about then. No worries on that front though, somebody on hear will come up with something. This horse just goes out and does it time and time again. Contrast that with so many talking horses in this sport, the latest being Binocular and it is easy to see how rare this athlete’s achievements are.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I do think Kauto is not getting the respect from some that he deserves.

IMHO, that was the best King George he has run in – that pace was remorseless from the outset.

He has beaten some very good horses…correction, he has pulverised them. If he wins the Gold Cup I’m gonna run out of epithets.

I really hope he wins a 5th King George as I do think he is better than Dessie and such a statement would surely be put beyond doubt for all?

How dare I oppose King Kauto in this race. I have learned my lesson.

Yet…..I still think Denman can beat him in March as I do think the Tank’s injection of pace did for him in 2008. You have to take the wonder horse out of his comfort zone – and Denman can do it again.

Zip

Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

That’s made my Christmas, another demolition job at Kempton. He’s made the track his own and he should have a statue next to Dessie when he retires. Five consecutive wins is very realistic now.

He simply cannot be touched at Kempton and it makes Clive Smith and Paul Nicholl’s lives very easy, as all they have to do is keep running him lightly, as they have done last year and this year, and the day he gets beat at Kempton on Boxing Day is the day to retire him – on the spot.

I’m so happy to be around in the days of Kauto Star and Sea The Stars, I’ve seen Kauto win his 2nd King George at Kempton in 2007, and I was at Longchamp to see Sea The Stars win the Arc, great memories that will stay with me forever.

I got the book about Arkle by Sean Magee for Christmas, so I can’t wait to familiarise myself with that legend too.

Merry Christmas everyone. :D

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

You have to take the wonder horse out of his comfort zone – and Denman can do it again.

• Total Posts 81

I am not disrespecting Kauto. There is no doubt he is one of the all times greats and to win 4 KG’s on the trot is a supreme achievement.

I think though that we have to be realistic and acknowledge that the quality of the remainder of the field wasnt great. That takes nothing away from Kauto as it was still a brilliant performance and he can only beat what is put in front of him.

I am still not sure if he would beat Dessie around Kempton although it would be one hell of a race. No doubt he would at Cheltenham though.

Roll on the GC. I just hope that Denman and Kauto get there in peak form and despite the previous post The Tank is the one horse who can get Kauto out of his comfort zone!

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

and despite the previous post The Tank is the one horse who can get Kauto out of his comfort zone!

What, an ‘absolutely top of his game’ Kauto ?

Seems I have to resort to this again…..

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.