The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

McGrath call, 320 Longchamp

Home Forums Horse Racing McGrath call, 320 Longchamp

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

How many people here thought Poltava had the race sown up from the commentry only?  Dire commentry.<br>It just shows how important it is to have the colors at hand when backing in-running.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

A very poor effort from McGrath, it wasn’t as though it was a 20 runner sprint handicap.

Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Old news, McGrath has been useless for several years now. Everyone knows this apart from his employers at the BBC.

(Edited by Happy Jack at 3:35 pm on Oct. 1, 2006)

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I’ve got to say the commentry was awful. If you’re a supposed top commentator I’m sorry but you’ve got to do way better than that.

I’ve never been a big fan of Jim McGrath anyway.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Poor by McGrath .<br>On a slightly different theme what were all those breaks in transmission on BBC? Very irritating though I realise the pictures probably came from French TV. I was waiting for the test card to go up like in the 60s.<br>Why even Rishi Persad’s interview with Bolger was disrupted! Terrible<br>

(Edited by Lingfield at 5:04 pm on Oct. 1, 2006)

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Quote: from Racing Daily on 3:29 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]How many people here thought Poltava had the race sown up from the commentry only?  Dire commentry.<br>It just shows how important it is to have the colors at hand when backing in-running.<br>

Surely no one bets in running on the commentator’s call?

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Dire stuff and its been like that for some time now.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Poor call, the horse was three lengths clear before he seemed to latch on. Disappointing stuff but a very, very tough job. However, he’s supposedly the top of the tree and, accordingly, needs to deliver – every time.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Dire stuff and its been like that for some time now.

Agreed.

So often he calls a horse as being in front when it’s already been passed.

He’s just not up to the job and the BBC should hold themselves to higher standards.

Steve

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

They should also ditch the over promoted Persad.<br>Q to Fabre "What did it feel like winning a seventh Arc?"<br>Q to Pasquier "What did it feel like winning a first Arc?"<br>How he got kept on while Lydia got chopped God knows.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

In response to the above:

a) I think JA wants to be added to the Racetech roster next year to hone what he acknowledges are skills not put to the same amount of use as they have been and should be (whether he is on the roster again next year is something I don’t know the answer to),

b) Lydia was not pushed but rather walked in order to devote more time to her more fulfilling RUK and newspaper gigs, as far as I remember.

gc<br>

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 6:42 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]In response to the above:

a) I think JA wants to be added to the Racetech roster next year to hone what he acknowledges are skills not put to the same amount of use as they have been and should be (whether he is on the roster again next year is something I don’t know the answer to),

b) Lydia was not pushed but rather walked in order to devote more time to her more fulfilling RUK and newspaper gigs, as far as I remember.

gc<br>

regarding Lydia it’s a bit like football managers leaving by "mutual consent" then?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

They should also ditch the over promoted Persad. <br>Q to Fabre "What did it feel like winning a seventh Arc?" <br>Q to Pasquier "What did it feel like winning a first Arc?"

At the start of the program, when he said he was about to ask people who were queing to place a bet who they were backing, I was thinking "What the ****
    ? Does he think he’s at Ascot? It’s a foreign country and they speak a different language."

And when the japanese guy clearly couldn’t understand the questions, he just kept talking the same way, he didn’t slow down and make the questions simple.

What a ****
    ing arse!

And when he was promoted to giving pre-race analysis, I was wondering WFT I was listening to the racing opinions of someone who has no insight whatsoever into the sport.

At least Willie and Claire are real racing people hwo have an understanding of the sport and of horses.

He’s just a game show host who’s too crap to get a game show.

Steve    

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

The commentary for the marcel boussac was absolutely woeful, i backed Finisceal Beo and thought she was well beat (didnt have a paper so didnt know what colours i was in) until she was 3 lengths clear and then they actually gave her a mention, bbc racing team are complete tubes anyway and i generally find that the level of knowledge they convey is below that of the average punter,  They were very good at talking up finisceal beo after she won but never evengave her a mention beforehand, despite the fact that jim bolger (quite a shrewd trainer in internationals) had removed teofilo from the criterium and was clearly only there to run finisceal beo, but like lord budden on william hill radio once said- theyve probably never had a bet in their lives.

Look at ascot, they spend more time trying to promote the concept of ascot as a grotesque celebration of social class than actually focusing on the great week’s racing that takes place there.

When they ask their celebrity tipster Jodie kidd who is going to win today, and she starts her reply with "i dont really know a lot about horses…." that pretty much sums it up.

And dont even get me started on that James Sherwood…

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Steve – I wonder about Willie’s depth of knowledge to be honest. he either knows less than he should or he finds it difficult to express the knowledge he does have….or both.

Clare Balding stands head and shoulders above any other TV racing  journalist at the minute. She is extremely knowledgeable, does her homework and her management of difficult interviewees (Fallon and Fabre today for example) is exemplary. They seem willing to talk to her and she doesn’t duck the difficult questions. She did really well today with Fallon, getting him to talk a little about his current situation without blundering in like a bus entering the depot at five to five on a Friday night.

Persad has always struck me as someone who would be more suited to Blue Peter, assuming of course that he knows his way around a roll of sellotape and a bog roll.

Participant
    • Total Posts 201

I’ve never bought the "not match fit" argument. It never hurt Peter O’Sullevan, and I would have thought not having to do six races every day would keep him fresh.

So there must be another reason for his lack of form. He was so much better years ago.

Anyway, must dash, I’m off to get drunk.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I dont know if anyone here ever listens to william hill radio but the commentary and pre-race build up that Lord Budden and co. give is far more insightful than anything the bbc could ever possibly muster, unless they are extremely displeasing to the eye i think they should be doing the commentary.

As for Clare Balding, she only appears intelligent in the company of complete muppets, but i cant remember a single time when she has ever pointed out something that i didnt already see as being basic knowledge. Also, she only ever seems to focus on the top few in the betting (which seems a bbc policy) and writes everything else off.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 145 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.