The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

mccoy or walsh

Home Forums Horse Racing mccoy or walsh

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    FLINT ISLAND
    • Total Posts 16

MCCOY

the ride he gave Mylo was the best I ever saw

The Ledge
    • Total Posts 34

Ruby,Ruby ,Ruby RUBY
    Can put a horse to sleep ,rarely in a bad position his record in top meetings,races is incredible mcCoy is solid but IMO not as good asRuby

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Impossible question to answer. Both Brilliant both different can’t compare them.

Ruby gets more girls does that count? :lol:

the swog
    • Total Posts 2

McCOY BY far!!! never gives up on a horse if its got anythink left! he’s given so many good ride! as walsh has!! but look watch stable walsh is at to McCoy. i no where id like to be in terms of decent horses in depth coz o’neils got sum right blodders! and better in a finish for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

History will favour McCoy for his thousands of winners and multiple championship jockey titles. Whereas most people will remember Kauto Star for winning the Gold Cups rather than who was on board.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Right now, Walsh, but in the overall scheme of things, it has to be McCoy for me.

McCoy has the knack of getting the best out of average and mediocre animals, and as the old cliche goes, his record speaks for itself.

Put the pair on similar class animals, of equal ability, and were they to jump the last neck and neck, I know who my money would be on passing the post in front.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 7520

Ruby Walsh is very talented, but in my opinion Tony McCoy is the best all round jumps rider I have seen in 40-odd years of watching National Hunt racing, and there have been some damned good jockeys in that time. He seems at times to get into a horse’s mind and coax something out of them that others simply can’t manage.

One McCoy ride that stood out in particular was at Carlisle in the winter on a cussed sort in moderate handicapper Cooldine Lad. The gelding looked unwilling to go to the front but as McCoy worked at him you could see the penny drop a hundred yards out and he took off. No jockey before or since has got to near to fathoming Cooldine Lad.

Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m not willng to put my finger on anyone and say he s the best. As yer man says History willl favour McCoy and no one can argue with that.

I’m not surprised to read about Tony’s driving skill and how he can win on bad horses. That is probably his biggest strength. I doubt if many would have won on Wichita Lineman at Cheltenham, in fact most would have given up.

It’s that strength and ability and never say die attitude that makes him the champion he is. Plus he never seems to have a day off.

Ruby s a different ball game all together. He depends on the best pair of hands in the buisness. There are not many, if any, can relax a horse better than Ruby.

He has a wonderful knack of letting a horse think that he’s the boss. Anyone who has ridden will tell you if you fight a horse you will lose. Ruby knows how to kid a horse and get to him to do exactly what he wants him to do. He doesn’t have Tony’s strength but in his own way he still wins on horses others wouldn’t have.

We see him time after time knocking off a treble in Ireland and many of them are copy cat rides of the previous one.

They have two differnt styles and we are lucky to have them both

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Fist, when did you join the diplomatic corps? :shock: Not like you to sit on the fence. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I know everyone raves about the ride that McCoy gave Wichita Lineman at Cheltenham [hands up; I did back the second], but thought at the time, and since, that perhaps another jockey eg Timmy Murphy or Graham Lee would have got more out of the horse by getting him to jump better. However, over the past couple of seasons the thing that amazes me is the way that McCoy got back riding so soon after his back injury,[and his determination to get better], and the way that Ruby was back so soon after having his spleen removed. I think both men saw their enforced retirement looking them in the face and are riding like men possessed these days. I guess that Ruby is the better horseman and Mccoy the better jockey, if it’s all down to hands and legs.

Trendsman
    • Total Posts 206

Impossible question to answer. Both Brilliant both different can’t compare them.

Ruby gets more girls does that count? :lol:

Not sure on the girl front, but a hard one to compare, never die attitude by McCoy is second to none, pure passion from a great jockey that wants to win on every ride, Ruby can put them to sleep and brings them through, but if i had to choose it would be McCoy

adivadiv
    • Total Posts 4

Money wise, (prob the most important factor to us) (on the price of placing outsiders)

Ruby by a factor of thousands.

Both make you cream your pants when 2nd or 3rd at the 2nd to last jump.

Both Irish of course, but my fav joc is the classic alltime star, Barry Geraghty. What an amazing record. If you had a few bob on a classic race and he was riding, before the race had ended, you were buying your mates mates drinks in the pub.

The last great and prob best English jump joc was Terry Biddlecombe.

Have a great night

Ivor

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

I know something,the best English jock for me has to be Richard Johnson. Both he and AP have ridden about the same number of mounts for me . Out of them Richard has won nineteen and AP none. I`ve never been lucky enough to get Ruby,but he looks a polished performer,a real horseman.

FLINT ISLAND
    • Total Posts 16

McCoy on Mylo on just a normal weekday racing meeting a couple of years back

Mylo had no business winning that race he was off the bridle trying to pull himself up 2 miles from home at the back of the pack looking like he was going to be tailed off

McCoy just would not give up and dragged him to victory in a amazing ride

he also won on Jupton Vert and no-one else could cos the horse was totally out of form

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.