The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

May I ask?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Interested Academic
    • Total Posts 37

A few lovely Peroni beers as I await the 2000g rolling into town, but I’ve led myself to ponder a point which I’d like to make a question:

How do you get your main enjoyment/satisfaction, is it working out the puzzle and being right – primarily :o  – or is it the prospect of monetary reward which drives you most to get involved to fairly extensive lengths???

No earth-shattering answers required, and do dismiss me if necessary – I just wondered because i’ve interviewed a couple of well-respected racing individuals and they have said that they get their most satisfaction by working out the puzzle and watching it unfold; the need to bet is rare, they say, despite the wealth of racing knoweldge/experience they obviously possess.

From the outset I enjoyed winning money (who doesn’t?) but more and more it’s working a race out which gives me satisfaction, though the monetary reward is still a factor as why else would I cast around for the best odds when I do bet?

Anyway: Is it the money ££, or being right – all this interesting chat about the winner of the 2000g was also a factor in asking this question… :sing:

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Personally I don’t bet. I just enjoy watching the sport, following horses I’ve got to know and love, and of course, managing to filter out the winner from time to time.

Interested Academic
    • Total Posts 37

Thank you towel-clad Hill, if you return to this topic could I venture: if you have filtered out a winner prior to the off, and you are feeling particularly pleased about that, and maybe it is a horse you know and love (I loved Mind Games, for example, visited him at Jack’s stable once) would you not be tempted to weigh in with a bunch of purple notes, or the small change lying around the kitchen?

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

A very interesting question.<br>The interest lies in the difficulty of beating the market and hence turning a profit, an extraordinarily difficult task. In some ways, you have to get away from the desire to "solve the puzzle" and back winners, as the best way to maximise your pleasure from that source is to bet on favourites. You must be prepared to overlook the easy and the obvious and ignore the masses, seeing things not many see. <br>My greatest pleasure is when year end comes and I’m in front, something my father told me wasn’t possible.<br>The money is only a way of keeping score- for me at least it is not an end in itself, though I’m sure I’d feel differently were I doing it for a living.  

Interested Academic
    • Total Posts 37

Thanks carvillshill<br>In particular, the ‘keeping score’ point interests me – I track my bets using an excel spreadsheet, or a ‘horrorsheet’ as it is sometimes known. This tells me the money record – your "beating the market which is hard to do" – is perhaps more important than I indicated in my opener. But again, like you in many ways, it’s beating the market, getting ahead, being successful in a competitive setting which drives my enjoyment (amongst the more obvious thrills of the sport)…

And I love ignoring the masses, I guess there’s a private display of I’m going to be right here and a lot of people will get this wrong, this can be satisfying and it’s one reason why I very rarely back favourites I suppose…

Interesting points, I suppose I’m suggesting for how raw the money aspect is for people as this is a very simple part of life which covers more than it reveals…(and this has nothing to do with my research, just Interested)…

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I think this is a great topic. Should be on the shortlist for post of the month. It’s great to get an insight into peoples minds and personalities.

Answering it isn’t easy. I suppose how skint you are determines how much winning the money means lol but people who take their betting seriously do it with the intention of making money so money does matter.

On the other hand there’s nothing better than "I told you so’s".

Personally, I have a particular way of betting and I only bet in certain races as I beileve its how I bet best and I obtain better results therefore a winning bet means to me that I’ve done something right and it convinces me that I know what I’m talking about to a degree anyway.

Dunno, I think its probably a mixture of money and solving the puzzle.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

I love watching racing even if I don’t have a bet on it. I love this sport so much, and whether it be my selection coming second in an absolutely brilliant race made even better by the financial investment, or my selection winning by 5L, I love it.

And I suppose it always helps if you’re sh!tt!ng winners like me right now :biggrin:

Interested Academic
    • Total Posts 37

Thanks The Market Man and jackane24, indeed, the personality side of things is often hidden away, despite the many finely tuned tangents sampled in this cozy yet often rumbustious setting ;)

I agree TMM it’s defo a mix of epic proportions and I suppose a different emphasis (money/puzzle) will light the candle of different people – I wonder why people "chase" a loss when they know fine well they shouldn’t – I think 99% of us have done that – are we chasing the money because we really can’t bear the loss of a £1.50 bet :o  or is it because we thought we were right and are more peeved than Imelda Marcos having to shop in a dowdy high-street shoe store that we were, in fact, wrong? :yikes:

Jackane s**t
    ting winners :knight: is a thought which must drive us all onwards but absolutely, enjoying the race-tension sometimes beats the bother of doing the jigsaw, perhaps a great reason why the sport offers so much to a fair number of people hey?

My ‘horrorsheet’ ain’t too bad either at the mo, nice n healthy, though it’s more a trickle than a full on pebble-dashing…so why don’t I just kick back and enjoy the sport without dragging up oddschecker every time I put a corner-piece in the jigsaw?

Keep it flowing, am intrigued to get behind the pc-mask, as it were…

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

for me it is as said before, a mixture of both.  i do not need to make a profit as it is a hobby/pastime so if i can break even, it is cheaper than playing golf.  however i have gained much enjoyment at the races (at lingfield mostly) without having any significant bet if i couldn’t see anything – a placepot and a day out and a bit of banter works for me.  then again i’ve felt much satisfaction lumping on and winning.  i guess it’s mostly the enjoyment and as also said before , the money is a scorecard of how you’re doing with the game you’re playing and is a good motivator to play it better.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

It’s a mixture of both for me also.

I enjoy the research side of things and gaining knowledge that may give me that important edge over other punters. It’s very time consuming, but enjoyable nonetheless and has turned around my indisciplined betting past. Also keep a spreadsheet of bets and this helps enormously, highlighting areas where I have been particularly Jade Goody. The money aspect is definitely the top priority though – if I was losing too heavily I would give it up!

I can’t say I get get a particular pleasure from watching some horses run around a track for a bit unless I have a financial interest, or the race is important for my research and really can’t see how anyone could derive pleasure from watching knackered horses at the end of a three mile chase in the mud getting the full treatment from a Jockey, just for viewing ‘pleasure’.

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Quote: from Interested Academic on 9:13 pm on May 2, 2006[br]Thank you towel-clad Hill, if you return to this topic could I venture: if you have filtered out a winner prior to the off, and you are feeling particularly pleased about that, and maybe it is a horse you know and love (I loved Mind Games, for example, visited him at Jack’s stable once) would you not be tempted to weigh in with a bunch of purple notes, or the small change lying around the kitchen?<br>

If I DO manage to pick the winner, which is often more by luck than judgement, then almost every time I think "Oh if only I’d had money on it!", but of course I have to remember all the other ‘picks’ that finished tailed off last or fell at the first. <br>The only bet I’ve ever had was on Burrough Hill Lad in the Gold Cup, and I won, so I like to quit while I’m ahead. :-)<br>Very interesting post by the way!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Money is the bye product of the satisfaction of using your brain to accurately assess a complex and fascinating sport

Those that think entirely in terms of the cash without enjoying or appreciating what they watch can be at a disadvantage i feel. It would be like trying to master Physics say without having a real interest in it. You can get so far, but the enthusiast will always be ahead of you

Having said that, betting discipline shouldnt be clouded by the desire to see sporting results (for want of a better phrase)

And whenyou have had a rather silly hunch punt come in ( rare with me these days) where you havent really worked at it, do you get that much satisfcation?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

A mixture of both for me (although lately I have been forced to enjoy the spectacle of the race as opposed to the result!). I get great satisfaction if I have done the work and got it right but it is frustrating if you have done the work, got it right, the horse wins and you didn’t back it because it was too short or you had a niggling doubt.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Libby, i’d have to take issue wih you there, the sight of finely tuned horses, probably the most attractive animal there is, being coaxed round a track by true artists of their profession is in my opinion a real spectacle.. Even when you go to somewhere like Towcester, where the racing is admittedly poor, the spectacle is undiminished.. Admittedly betting adds extra emotion and interest but it’s a great sport nonetheless..

For me it’s everything, workng out the puzzle, winning money, going to the races.. To be honest I don’t mind losing as long as the losses are small as I see it as a hobby outside of work (And inside as I should really be working now!!)

roland
    • Total Posts 302

If it’s honesty you’re after, for me it’s all about the money.<br>I’m no pro-punter and have no illusions of grandeur but consider it more of a hobby which has the joy of being financially rewarding. But if at the end of the day if it was costing me money i’d ditch it in an instant. Infact i’d ditch it if it broke even, because it’s still a waste of my time with the hours of study involved.

Don’t get me wrong, i enjoy the spectacle of the sport and can happily watch a steeplechase with no interest in the race (financial or otherwise)  and still gain enjoyment from it. <br>But as for the satisfaction / proof of being right / solving a puzzle aspect, which i admit is only human instinct to enjoy and the reason we are successful as a species, i can get from playing a game of chess or putting up some shelves and this costs nothing.

So as i see it, satisfaction becomes the bye-product of making money out of racing, just as it would in doing a Rubix cube.

<br>Does any of the above make sense? Probably not, but put simply as Jerry Maguires mate said "Show me the money!"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.