The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Matt Chapman – forget Clare Balding – is HE the real jewel

Home Forums Horse Racing Matt Chapman – forget Clare Balding – is HE the real jewel

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

Matt Chapman thinks he’s a steward and has far too much to say. I would like to see all C4 go except Mike Cattermole.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

I would like to see all C4 go except Mike Cattermole.

Sadly, I don’t think you are going to get your wish. Sounds like most of the present sorry Channel 4 shower will be back under the new regime next year.

If it’s right that Alice Plunkett, Emma Spencer and even Tanya are already sure of a return, there’s not going to be much of a clear-out, apart from Francome who has already ruled himself out.

I would be surprised if Channel 4 would touch Matt Chapman with a barge pole.

If most of the present lightweights, including Andrew Franklin’s underlings and proteges, are being welcomed by the new production company, and they’ve also got to make room for Clare Balding, they won’t want Chapman throwing the whole thing into chaos.

It’s a shame Chapman has only now learned to tone down his buffoonery. If he had just done his racecourse commentaries straight, without hamming them up and playing to the gallery, he could easily have been taken on as a racecourse commentator on a more regular footing.

He is very good at what he does. He just shoots himself in the foot by not knowing how far to go with the showmanship and clowning about.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

Good interviews from Chapman at Longchamp yesterday but as with his racecourse commentaries his reaction and attempts to summarise what had just happened immediately after the race sounded amateurish and forced in an OTT and silly way that trivialised the event.

That said he would still be an interesting addition to C4 because he would bring more to it than a good few of some of their current regulars he would just need someone behind the scenes to get the best out of him and keep him in check.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Agreed, Chappers did a cracking job yesterday, he knows his stuff and when he drops the tomfoolery comes across as good humoured and knowledgeable.

he can be an excellent interviewer, especially when he plays it "straighter".

I must say, he did an excellent job with his interviews on Arc day for At The Races. I was really impressed with them.

He managed to get interviews with a host of top people on the day, including Aidan O’Brien, John Oxx, John Gosden, Michael Tabor, John Magnier, the Aga Khan, Sir Michael Stoute and Richard Hughes.

He played it straight, got the best out of them and showed he was well-informed and had done his homework.

He would, on this showing, make an excellent paddock interviewer for Channel 4, rather in the way that Jonathan Powell used to do for the BBC until he was shunted off for being too old.

No chance of it happening, I wouldn’t have thought, but full marks to Matt. Praise where praise is due.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Got to hand it to Matt Chapman again because he stepped in very competently on At The Races when there was no racecourse commentary coming through during coverage of the 5.45 race at Wolverhampton today.

To be able to do that, just as he would have been preparing to sign off after a long afternoon at the helm of the At The Races coverage, is a brilliance in itself.

He provided a stand-in commentary that was commendably fluent and confident.

There had been silence from the course commentary in the early stages of the race but, ironically, Matt took over just after there were a couple of seconds of commentary coming through from Darren Owen.

Again, it’s good to give praise to Matt where it is due.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

hes good at his role in many respects but is one of these blokes who when he has "a funny" to tell says it just a bit too loudly and directly as if challenging you not to laugh. You know the type

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

hes good at his role in many respects but is one of these blokes who when he has "a funny" to tell says it just a bit too loudly and directly as if challenging you not to laugh. You know the type

I do indeed. :roll:

See you on Sunday me old mate

Participant
    • Total Posts 27

I know Chapman gets heavily slated – and I only know him from the occasional radio commentary I hear – but I actually think he does a decent job. He tries to inject a bit of life and colour into his commentary.

I can’t say I dislike any of the racecallers. But maybe it’s time for a woman or two to be given the opportunity. Only let’s not have one of the plummy-voiced brigade like Clare Balding. Someone with a bit of character who speaks without a silver spoon in their mouth would be nice.

And how about a regional accent or two?

MrUnoHugh
    • Total Posts 146

I think most of us would agree that Matt Chapman would be a good drinking partner on a night out, imagine what he’s like when drunk? would be a laugh I reckon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I think most of us would agree that Matt Chapman would be a good drinking partner on a night out, imagine what he’s like when drunk? would be a laugh I reckon.

No thanks

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Please folks no more about this guy , he is in my opinion the very worst broadcaster in any game (followed closely by John Hunt )

Leave him chained to the Bookie channel ATR , he is loved there !!

IMO of course

Ricky

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

After rashly praising him for his excellent Arc interviews, I wrongly thought Matt might have decided to tone down his antics and adopt a more low-key and measured approach for when he is anchoring the ATR coverage.

Certainly got that one wrong. :lol: He was being completely over-the-top and irritating last time I watched, with all the Bob Monkhouse-style fake sincerity and bizarre vocal contortions you could wish for…

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Now Chappers isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, I’d agree. But, unless I was completely mis-reading it and the whole thing was tongue-in-cheek, David Elsworth was extraordinarily rude to Chapman when being interviewed by him today on ATR.

I suppose Elsworth is at a time of life when he doesn’t need to court friends or feign interest in press questions to further his career or present a professional veneer but he certainly lost an admirer in me today. He came across as exceptionally rude, thoroughly obnoxious and extremely patronising.

Maybe he’d had too good a lunch, or maybe he’s just a big old a***hole.

Well done Matt, you handled it well, and came across as a 10x better individual than that old bore.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Boss , I realise you have to start new threads to keep this forum ticking over , and why not indeed :mrgreen: , however surely any topic involving MC is scraping the bottom of the barrel….in time he will get his true recognition ….. :roll:

imo

Ricky

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Boss , I realise you have to start new threads to keep this forum ticking over , and why not indeed :mrgreen: , however surely any topic involving MC is scraping the bottom of the barrel….in time he will get his true recognition ….. :roll:

imo

Ricky

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Cheers Ricky – those double posts help keep the post count up too….keep ’em coming. Your words of wisdom much appreciated as ever especially x2.

Participant
    • Total Posts 537

Chapman derides dubious results, marks him out as a friend of punters. He’s ok in my book.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.