The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Matron Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Matron Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Thought someone might aswell give this race a mention. It is by no means a classic renewal of this Group 1 but there are a few interesting contenders.

Many of the runners have dissapointed on a few occasions and are looking for some consolation. Rainbow View should win on form, she has the ground she is supposed to need, but she has come up short so far this year.

The same applies to Mad About You, who has been bitterly dissapointing in my opinion. Heaven Sent is usually there-abouts in these races, but rarely wins them.

My idea of the best filly in the race is Again. However, I thought after her Irish 1000 guineas win that she was crying out for further, and she just wasn’t fast enough at Ascot, where she was behind some of tomorrows runners, Rainbow View and Heart Shaped. I don’t think that was her true running though.

If Heart Shape could rediscover that form she would have each-way claims.

All the runners have something to prove, but I’d say the winner will come from the three market principles. It’s hard to say which one though :?

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Serious interest in this all-age group 1 for fillies :lol:

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Rainbow View has got the indignity of wearing cheekpieces.

Have there been many G1 winners in that attire?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

No clue, but for me she’s the winner. Again needed one of the rides of the season in the Irish 1000 and that was on bottomless. She definitely needs a trip and on drying ground I just can’t see her being a proper threat. Rainbow View’s now a properly developed filly and I’d be surprised if she doesn’t win.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7229

Again is my tip.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

I’ve given up on Rainbow View I think she’ll get beat again she’s not a group one filly. Group three class.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Heaven Sent is tough, and full-brother I believe to a Group I winner in the US. I think he has a fair shot.

Stacelita
    • Total Posts 202

This could well be the race for Heaven sent to finally gain a deserved group1 success. She did beat RV at HQ when RV got first run on her on good ground but disappointed next time with soft ground and trip probable excuses in the Nassau.
    With the ground drying out which wouldn’t help RV as she prefers cut Heaven Sent can strike.

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

my points system

141 rainbow view
    139 again
    137 heaven sent
    136 heart shaped
    131 san sicharia
    128 totally devoted
    121 monivea

will back rainbow view
    with small saver heaven sent

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I had a small stake on Heaven Sent aswell for a bit of interest. Like the sprint today, if it’s in with a shout within the last furlong that’s alright. Let’s hope the ground stays alright.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Possibly the last feasible chance for Rainbow View to salvage something of her one time glowing reputation. She will not have a better chance of winning her first three year old race. Whether she will or not is a very different matter.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Oh I think she’ll manage to win ok "H"…. it’s an awful looking race full of disappointing horses. Bit of a steering job IMO :wink:

shabby
    • Total Posts 638

For me, the positive outook for Rainbow View is that her late foaling date counted againt her in the early season classics and that she would now come into her own.
    However if this were the case John Gosden would have to be happy with her wellbeing and attitude, the application of cheek pieces would seem evidence that this is not the case.
    I have laid her a couple of times this year and will do so again today at a practical price.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Outseide of her being a late foal I couldn’t disagree more. Rainbow View

is what she is

and came into herself, as you put it months ago.

I for one never bought into the 2yo to 3yo superstar hype and said so on here but she has still run some good races against the best in offer….This lot fall short of that by some way IMO

shabby
    • Total Posts 638

You are right Fist, she is what she is …a filly who finds it hard to win G1’s at three…she has ran some good races

in defeat

, ..I personally question her wellbeing and attitude…and I feel the cheek pieces support this view. She is often supported sufficiently to make a lay practical and that is what I have done today. Good luck.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Looks a two-horse race between the leading market principals – Rainbow View and Again.

This is a very average renewal of the race and it would not take a superstar to win it.

Both fillies have their ideal conditions and that is sure to make a difference when the two other contenders – Heaven Sent and Heart Shaped – both need fast ground to be seen at thier best.

Heaven Sent is not getting any younger and she probably needs her preferred conditions more than ever at this level.

Rainbow View will not find a better opportunity to land her first Group One as a 3YO, but gives the impression that she may find one too good at this level and Again, winner of the Irish 1000 Guineas, is good enough to win this.

Her form is nothing to shout about and she is no superstar, but with Rainbow View looking vulnerable and conditions sure to suit, Again is my selection.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

So I suppose now that means Rainbow View has trained on? Stunning turn of foot and she goes to Santa Anita with a huge shout in the Filly & Mare.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.