The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mark Johnson, new Announcer at Churchill……

Home Forums Horse Racing Mark Johnson, new Announcer at Churchill……

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 373

So, Mark Johnson has been named the new announcer.

I think many here are surprised. I was at Turfway Park with Mike Battaglia yesterday (who called 20 Kentucky Derby’s) and he didnt think Johnson would get the position.

Certainly he has the experience as a racecaller and it will be nice to perhaps be compared to another Brit, as opposed to the Aussies.

I did get to call the fifth at Turfway yesterday and i have been asked to stand in for a few days for Mike Battaglia in March – so a good day for us Brits.

Craig

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Great news Craig – particularly for a Brit to get a top gig like Churchill.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Interesting quotes from Churchill Downs Vice President Tom Aronson:

Johnson started out a long shot for the job, for which well-known announcers Larry Collmus and Mike Wrona were regarded as the favorites. But Aronson said Johnson came out the consensus pick of a Churchill selection committee and of the more than 2,000 e-mail comments and responses to an online survey about the five guest announcers.

"We all noticed his prerace commentary, paying attention to odds movement on the board, what horses were looking like coming over," he said. "I personally spent a lot of time amongst our fans seeing that they were paying attention when he pointed something out. That play-by-play approach is something we think is unique. It stood out from all the other announcers."

Aronson said fans commented that Johnson was "entertaining, that the place felt different with him calling the races, that he brought an element of class and incredible knowledge. … The most common thing I heard and saw was the sense that he was painting a picture of the race like nobody else was."

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

An excellent and brave decision to appoint Mark, they will be well rewarded, he will do a good job.

• Total Posts 373

Interesting quotes from Churchill Downs Vice President Tom Aronson:

Johnson started out a long shot for the job, for which well-known announcers Larry Collmus and Mike Wrona were regarded as the favorites. But Aronson said Johnson came out the consensus pick of a Churchill selection committee and of the more than 2,000 e-mail comments and responses to an online survey about the five guest announcers.

"We all noticed his prerace commentary, paying attention to odds movement on the board, what horses were looking like coming over," he said. "I personally spent a lot of time amongst our fans seeing that they were paying attention when he pointed something out. That play-by-play approach is something we think is unique. It stood out from all the other announcers."

The comments were very interesting as I did that when I first came to the USA and have always been asked to minimize the pre-race babble
    Aronson said fans commented that Johnson was "entertaining, that the place felt different with him calling the races, that he brought an element of class and incredible knowledge. … The most common thing I heard and saw was the sense that he was painting a picture of the race like nobody else was."

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

Well done Craig on your own successes

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Well done and good luck to him.

• Total Posts 373

Well done Craig on your own successes

Thank you, sir! As long as I am not now seen as a poor mans Mark Johnson I think this can only help my cause!

Craig

JohnHunt
    • Total Posts 16

Well done to Mark. He will be absolutely buzzing. Its hard to convey just how much he loves American racing and its really interesting to hear some of the reasons for the appointment. He is always one to step up come the big race and deliver a "performance" and he clearly made a big impact during his trial. Its a great story, real mould breaking stuff and I really wish him well. He put himself in the picture a few years ago by doing a few guest calls under his own steam and in his own time and it goes to show what is possible if you really chase a dream. Real inspirational stuff!!! Well done again Mark.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

I hope that he gets a good send off from the London Racing Club. He did a great job all those years he Chaired the meetings.

Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I await with baited breath the moment when Shouty manages to shoehorn in the phrase “….leads the hunters past the punters” halfway through the Kentucky Derby.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Yes well done to Mark for getting the Churchill Downs Job.

Like everyone on here from the UK and particular John i have heard is calls for many years and he always sounds enthusiastic when doing a race and has covered many big events from The Derby to his particular favourite which is probably the Foxhunters at Cheltenham.

I have spoken to him a few times and in particular at Kelso last year on Borders National day and found he is an easy to chat to bloke who just loves racing and if anything will even enjoy calling the Steeplechase that they have at Churchill on the Thusday before the Derby.

Aswell as USA racing he likes French,Channel Islands,Arabian and Point to Point so that is pretty much a huge variety in racing terms.

Once again Mark well done and give it much the best you can.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

Yes well done to Mark for getting the Churchill Downs Job.

Like everyone on here from the UK and particular John i have heard is calls for many years and he always sounds enthusiastic when doing a race and has covered many big events from The Derby to his particular favourite which is probably the Foxhunters at Cheltenham.

I have spoken to him a few times and in particular at Kelso last year on Borders National day and found he is an easy to chat to bloke who just loves racing and if anything will even enjoy calling the Steeplechase that they have at Churchill on the Thusday before the Derby.

Aswell as USA racing he likes French,Channel Islands,Arabian and Point to Point so that is pretty much a huge variety in racing terms.

Once again Mark well done and give it much the best you can.

Unfortunately that Triple Crown series of Steeplechase races isn’t run any more. Belmont now has a Grade 1 at the end of September.

I hope that Keeneland may let Mark call the Grade 1 there.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Fair play to Mark – he is certainly enthusiastic about his racing, should fit in with the Yanks nicely!

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

A sad loss to the UK,

I wish him all the best.he is a great race caller

Pendle_Gazza
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

A sad loss to the UK,

I wish him all the best.he is a great race caller

I agree, Johnson is one of the few decent callers we have, but good luck to him.

I may even tune in to the crappy US racing once in a while to check him out.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Hang on the Churchill Downs job is a total of 4 months of the year so when it ends in June he will be back over here until November so you will still here him call in the UK.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.