The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mares Hurdle 2023

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 Mares Hurdle 2023

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Henderson “Its my fault, I’m blind” “I ticked the wrong box”..

Worse than Blind Dave when he puts me back in after a foul at Snooker then tries to say he didn’t when he spots a plant in the pack.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 14971

She’s got a fair old bit to find here, but couldn’t fault her attitude at Newbury, so had a few quid at silly prices on Midnight Ginger.

Deserves to be one of the outsiders on all evidence, but hoping they run her. Doesn’t seem too ground dependent, so hopeful on that front. Of more concern is that in cold light of day, connections decide to give it a swerve.

Hopeful of a run for my money anyway

Midnight Ginger 790’s

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

That was training in public there from Epanante

• Total Posts 14971

Really needed more from Midnight Ginger today at Ffos Las, so can’t see her going now.

Added another at big odds, Santa Rossa. Slightly less daft this one, as she’s shown enough to suggest she could outrun her odds. Nice win in The Grimes Hurdle last summer, and ran with credit in Galway Hurdle. Don’t have a problem with the trip either, and my main concerns are her recent absence, and the options she’ll have closer to home

Not sure why I’ve bet two in a race I don’t usually have much interest in, but I’m quite hopeful about Santa Rossa

Santa Rossa 290’s

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Honeysuckle runs – well done to those with the bottle to take the big prices.

11/4 looks fair enough to me – she still showed enough against State Man to be winning this.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Added Honeysuckle 9-4

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

That means the Mares Hurdle will now have not one but two former winners of the Champion Hurdle in it.

Don’t you just love the four day festival?

westender69
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25

Potentially one of the races of the meeting.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Maries Rock could go Stayers Hurdle if Nicky wants now that Honeysuckle is running.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Am I allowed to be smug and say I put up her up to run in this way back in Oct last year …. 12s on her and 5s on Epanante means a race I normally don’t spend to much time is prob about he one I have best covered

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

“That means the Mares Hurdle will now have not one but two former winners of the Champion Hurdle in it.

Don’t you just love the four day festival?”

Yes I do. Better they run here and have a good race against the up and coming mares (I’ll be backing the younger mares and will get nicer prices on them) than just acting as “filler” scrapping for 3rd or 4th place in the Champion Hurdle, or more likely, shuffled off into retirement.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Henderson keeps talking up Marie’s Rock for this.

I’m pocket talking admittedly but it isn’t the right move for me. She’d be going up against proper seasoned 3m hurdlers and stepping up half a mile on anything she’s ran in previously.

The stayers has an open look to it but so does the mares in my opinion. If Henderson diverts MR from this then he’s only doing it to keep his own horses apart. Not necessarily because he thinks it’s an easier race to win!

Let’s hope for a good bit of rain Tuesday and Wednesday to sway the decision back in favour of this race. That doesn’t stop me sweating for a month from now until decs are made though! :scratch:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3887

TC, lookng down through the stayers potential runners, i wouldn’t say there’s a hole pile of seasoned 3m hurdlers to be worrying about?

She’s a 153 mare on the up still with the valuable 7lb allowance. That has to make it very tempting to run her there.

Not saying i’d prefer one race over another though it must be tempting them.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

There’s 2 former winners in it and then you’ve got the likes of home by the Lee and Ashdale Bob plus the French horse to be supplemented Jack if those aren’t seasoned 3m hurdlers I don’t know what is :unsure:

It’s a lot to ask a horse step up in distance half a mile in grade one company.

Anyway. She’s got enough on her plate to beat Honeysuckle in this and it’s unlikely she beats those teak tough 3 milers on first try at the distance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Jeremiah McGrath, once one of Henderson’s jockeys and still part of his team, was asked about Maries Rock when he was a guest on last weekend’s “Luck On Sunday”. The impression I got was he had a preference for the Stayers Hurdle as long as the ground is not too soft.

She is owned by a syndicate who are in it for fun. She has already won this race but a Stayers Hurdle would be even better.

When you consider she is going to be up against the last two winners of the Champion Hurdle plus Brandy Love and Love Envoi, would the Stayers really be a more difficult race? OK, as TC points out, there are two former winners in that race but it is difficult to see Paisley Park winning it.

If she runs in the Stayers with the 7lb allowance on her side, I can see myself backing her on the day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3887

“to be worrying about”…..

Not sure you’d be worrying about the majority if your Marie’s Rock- HBTL aside. The others have plenty of questions to answer themselves. Age, fitness and the festival crowd to name a few….

She’s already a 2x G1 winner and didn’t look to be stopping over 2m4 1/2 on soft at the course last time, so maybe they’ll chance it with the probable better ground…

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.