The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

M. Wigham and Vegas Boys

Home Forums Horse Racing M. Wigham and Vegas Boys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I remember his apologists being out on force after Baboosh won at Yarmouth earlier in the year and am interested if they have any comments to make after Vegas Boys, who had finished eleventh, thirteenth and twelfth on his previous 3 outings and had seen his mark fall from a high of 78 to 57 show his first piece of form for the yard.

Believe it or not, this resurgence coincided with the horse being heavily backed, as it did when Celtique found a similar resurgence to win from a mark of 55 having dropped from a high of 80.

Glad to hear that the case has been referred for futher investigation but to me this is a clear example of racing being brought into disrepute. It goes far beyond connections ‘landing a gamble’ imo and is basically cheating.

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

David

I totally agree, I’m sick of this sort of thing being seen as just part of the game.

Earlier in the year my horse was beaten by a springer in the market, and the jockey of the said springer said to my jockey down at the start "he’s the best horse in the yard I don’t know how i’ve manged to get him beat the last 2 times!!"

The horse won at a canter and has subsequently hacked up in listed company. I would go further than say its cheating, its fraud.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from alan1 on 11:30 am on Dec. 23, 2006[br]Earlier in the year my horse was beaten by a springer in the market, and the jockey of the said springer said to my jockey down at the start "he’s the best horse in the yard I don’t know how i’ve manged to get him beat the last 2 times!!"

What does that quote actually mean?

1) I’ve done so well to get him beat – now the owners etc.. are on he’ll win…

Or

2) I’m such a bad jockey – I’ve managed to get the best horse in the yard beat in two races he should have won – If I don’t win this one, It’ll be me to the glue factory.

(Edited by Sailing Shoes at 11:47 am on Dec. 23, 2006)<br>

(Edited by Sailing Shoes at 11:48 am on Dec. 23, 2006)

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

You could name the horse in question and then formites will be able to make a decision as to whether or not he was not off on his last runs???

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

Sailing Shoes its:

1) I’ve done so well to get him beat – now the owners etc.. are on he’ll win…

And the horse is named after a current england midfielder!!<br>

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

Uhh… any hint on said midfielders name?! (too many beers last night :))

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The horse to which Alan is referring to is Stevie Gee of with  Alan Swinbank.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

On my Christmas jolly yesterday afternoon and my Brother and I chose this horse to pay for the day after watching the market moves.

In the end, the form was so bad, we lost our bottle, considering it bookmaker smoke and mirrors and that there was no way the trainer could explain a win out of this one. No hampering, no bad luck, no distance variation etc.

Oh well…

Rapidly becoming as irritating as Mr Curley, is Michael Wigham.

bimble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

Stevie Gee was ridden on its first outing over a straight <br> six furlongs at Newcastle  by  K. McEvoy and was beaten       <br> 18 lenghts .  How many two – year olds win first time <br> out ?   SP 13 / 2 so it must have been fancied .

On its second outing , on the AW at  Wolverhampton , over 6 furlongs round two bends , it was  beaten 9 lengths. . This represented an improvement on its previous outing .  

It had never raced on the AW before and its first run had <br>been on a straight course .  The jockey was D. McKeown and the SP was 33 / 1 .

On its third outing , over the straight  5 furlongs at <br>Southwell on the AW . it started at 8 / 1 and won by four <br>lengths .  It was ridden by D. McKeown .  He had only <br>ridden it once before .  The surface at Southwell is different from that at Wolverhampton .  

Would McKeown have made such a comment about Stevie Gee being the best horse in a  yard which contained such as Collier Hill on which he was the usual rider or when he had not ridden it on the two previous occasions but only the last outing ?  

Its subsequent three outings , two of which it won , were <br>on the grass over a straight six furlongs .

(Edited by bimble at 7:54 pm on Dec. 23, 2006)<br>

(Edited by bimble at 7:56 pm on Dec. 23, 2006)

Chompy Draw Boy
    • Total Posts 29

20/1 in my paper

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Chompy

I know you are on the wind up but it highlights the problem with horses from yards like this. Vegas Boys was either a 5/2 shot or a 25/1 shot, depending on what the trainer had in mind. No punter armed with just a form book and an opinion could tell the difference until Wigham had played his hand.

Maxilion, as you say note yourself, the formbook is of little relevance with this guys horses nowadays. I’d love to see the Post take a stance on the likes of his and Curley’s horses and stick SP by their representatives.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

The RP are spineless b*****d
    s

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Horse X (NAP), deliberately steered up the arse of his rivals of late, looks a good thing to land the Xmas money for his crooked stable. Anything over evens should be snapped up.

The words Top Cees, court and Derek Thompson spring to mind.

Nayodabayo
    • Total Posts 40

I watched one of his horses named Bucharest being taken to post by Michael Tebbutt on his last two starts on these cold visits to Southwell.

If only the jockey pushed him out as hard in the race as going to post perhaps would help the horses’s chances ten-fold. The trip they fund for Bucharest to visit the winners enclosure – I dare say he will be under a tight hold on being taken to post.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I think what we are agreeing upon here is that despite all the punishments in place to deter non- triers, there are still plenty of horses(albeit a small percentage of runners) being prevented from doing their best by various means.

Sadly, this will always be the case because there is no way to prove it and we all know it, including those who pull such strokes and those watching out for it.

We could quadruple the sentences for housebreaking, but it would not deter the accomplished burglar, despite the fact that they often get caught. So, how do you stop something that is so difficult to prove and where the culprits seldom get caught.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.