The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Longest starting price

Home Forums Horse Racing Longest starting price

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Shedloads of quality banter on this excellent thread.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5685

Most of my old racing records are in boxes in the shed, so watch this space…

I can do you football programmes as well if you like…

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 410

It seems the conclusion is who needs Google when you have a shed?! I suspect there are quite a few treasure troves of historical racing information in sheds, lofts, garages and spare rooms across the land…

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

I was actually thinking how disturbed I was that folk were keeping books in a shed.

Where I come from, sheds are purely for empty rabbit hutches and unused garden tools.

Lofts are the place for unread books, kids school reports saying “little jimmy is a dreamer and must try harder”, and christmas decorations placed closely and conveniently near the access point.

Garages are where worthless, useless, junk, is safely and securely locked away. This leaves no room for the family vehicle worth thousands, so that is parked thouroughly exposed with a steal-me sign on the drive.

Rule Brittania!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5685

That’s me told.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

You need to sort yourself out Rob. Have a long hard look in the mirror.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5685

I just did, apparently I’m still here!

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

Good man.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

The so-called evolution of man in reverse – smart phone storage….Filofax….err….shed.

So some got off the evolution bus at “Shed” – no big deal.

I’ve never had a shed (or a Filofax) but if I did I’d have it painted blue, have “Police Box” written on it and try to get the BBC interested in buying it for an exorbitant sum.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 513

On the subject of maximum odds, I haven’t had a bet in a long time but I still take an occasional interest in the odds on some events (why this is I have no idea). Anyway, I usually look at Bet365 to get an idea because they have a good website and the odds will be near enough the same everywhere. One thing I have noticed since Leicester won the Premier League at 5,000/1 is that they never price anything up at more than 4,500/1, even the stuff that will never happen in a million years like San Marino winning the World Cup. I’m pretty sure they would still only give 4,500/1 on me to knock out Anthony Joshua.

I guess maybe the 1,000/1 SPs disappeared because people who blindly chuck a quid or two on regardless would still bet it at 500/1 and they figure that in the event it does come in, they save a fortune on the few that back it. The value hunters (after all, any price can be value) would probably be put off by a smaller price too.

Sorry for the long, boring post ;-)

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

A bookmaker friend of mine says there comes a point where even the most recreational of punters won’t have a bet because the odds of an outcome are so big they think it must be impossible for it to happen.

He bets a lot at the Points and says a Bank Holiday crowd won’t back a no hoper if he puts it up at 100/1, but if he goes 20/1 he will take a few quid on it.

A sort of law of diminishing returns as you push the odds out.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

“I’ve never had a shed”.

Good god.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Actually, I tell a lie.

I once bought a house that had a shed – so I kinda inherited one.

I kept a lawn mower in it.

I always did know how to live life in the fast lane.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

I dislike false-shed modesty. You have clearly been a shed owner, so don’t falsely look for shed-sympathy.

It is acceptable to keep a lawnmower in a shed. Well done.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 410

Thanks Richard88. I reckon there is something in what you say re the huge odds – 500/1 and 5000/1 are both hugely unlikely, and 500/1 keeps a cap on things.

Tatling, your guidance on what can be stored in various types of outbuilding has been very instructive. If only Josef Fritzl had consulted you about appropriate uses of a cellar a whole load of problems could have been avoided.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.