The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Long Distance Cup 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Long Distance Cup 2024

Viewing 7 posts - 18 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2515

brilliant and tough as old boots, sometimes even after 50+ years at the game you don’t see what’s hitting you straight between the eyes, looking for an each way poke instead

WD winners

Participant
    • Total Posts 4712

Can’t believe you could have got 4-5 about a horse who should have been nearer 1-3.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Saver won. However…

“Possibly a spoiler pacemaker, but with Soumie on board I doubt he’ll agree to a “stop Trawlerman” type of ride”.

I was wrong.

The Euphrates needs a strong pace to bring his stamina into play… And yet sets a slow pace for his stable companion.

Team tactics is against the rules of racing.

Value Is Everything
    nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2515

GT is that also not down to one of the other jocks to take the bull by the horns and say i am not having this pace?

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7754

wd winners.

Missed the race will watch later.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Fair point nwalton. Am sure had Buick been able to get out he’d have gone on once he knew they were slowing it up. You wouldn’t have thought the draw in a stayers race would have a massive effect. Drawn 1 Buick had a choice of either going fast early and get the lead. Or rely on Coolmore making a good pace. Once they slowed it he couldn’t get out.

The only other possible pace was Burdett Road, who can front run or be held up. But he was slowly away today. All the others – by record – need to be held up.

However, the point really is that by the rules of racing, every jockey must try his her best to win. The Euphrates may have only been an outsider, but his jockey (it appears intentionally) did not maximise his own chance of winning (set too slow a pace for his own good today). Soumie chose instead to maximise Kyprios’s / Coolmore’s chance of winning. By setting a slowish pace – spoiling both their two main rivals -Trawlerman (out and out stayer) and Al Nayyir (a hold up horse who was always going to be too far back in a slower run race).

We may say Buick should have gone to the front. However I very strongly suspect had Trawlerman led then Soumie would have instead gone up to ensure an overly strong pace – again to spoil Coolmore’s main rival Trawlerman’s chance.

Value Is Everything
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7754

Watched the race. Kyprios had an easy enough time. No tactics from Gosden it looked like. Just let the AOB team do their thing. The rock that is Kyprios wins again, no hangover from Longchamp.

Viewing 7 posts - 18 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.