The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Long Distance Cup 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Long Distance Cup 2024

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7745

Trawlerman 4-1. For now.

In case Kyprios goes to France.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1749

50/50, which race kyprios goes for. If France then trawlerman a decent bet.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7745

I’ll stick with Trawlerman even if Kyprios takes his chance.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3136

I feel that Kyprios will seriously need to underperform for Trawlerman to beat him this time round.

Last year Kyprios was coming back off of that serious injury which meant he had a much delayed return to action with his seasonal debut coming only a month or so before Champions Day and he was still only beaten a neck.

He has had a full season under his belt this year whilst Trawlerman has only run once since Meydan in March and that was in the Ascot Gold Cup in June, when even on his preferred fast ground he wasn’t able to beat Kyprios. Softer ground conditions will potentially play much more into Kyprios’s favour and one must question whether Trawlerman (who won the race last year off the back of two runs in September) will be match fit enough off of a 4 month break……he most likely will also need to put in a better performance than last year in order to win back to back renewals.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7745

I love Kyprios, my thought looking at the race in Longchamp, and the proximity of the 2nd and 3rd in the closing stages, was that he hasn’t beaten them as well as he has done than when on his A game. He now has to back it up quite quick in what looks like pretty soft ground.

I had read Trawlerman purposely missed the Goodwood Cup to prepare for this assignment, so I assume the trainer knows what he is doing. As for the ground, Trawlerman doesn’t mind some ease I think. The jockey feedback in Meydan was “Trawlerman ran a good race. He settled OK, but I think the ground was ultimately a bit too quick for him. I think he’s better with a little bit of dig, but it was a cracking performance. He stays for fun and I wanted to be prominent.” Whether he wants it as soft as it might be on Saturday we shall have to wait and see.

Kyprios might still prove a champion, however 11-8 on against 4-1 and with Trawlerman being fresh, i thought Trawlerman had a sporting chance still.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

At this stage it is difficult to know whether Kyprios will take part.
    AOB has 11 entered. Would he have that many entered if Kyprios is a likely starter? :unsure:
    This a “Group 2” in name. Will connections want a 9th Group 1 for Kyprios by going to France? :unsure:
    He’s a shade of odds-on with the bookies right now for Champions Day, but if running is likely to be quite a bit shorter… And he’s odds-against on Betfair.
    If Kyprios runs will connections of potential rivals want to avoid him by going to France for the easier race – and a “Group 1” at that!? :unsure:
    If Kyprios does take part then are odds for those that do take him on going to be at least similar and maybe even better on the day than they are now? :unsure: Although that also depends on how many choose to take him on.

Taking a price on anything doesn’t seem worth the risk at the moment.

Value Is Everything
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7745

“This a “Group 2” in name. Will connections want a 9th Group 1 for Kyprios by going to France?”

“If Kyprios runs will connections of potential rivals want to avoid him by going to France for the easier race – and a “Group 1” at that!?”

Which French race are you talking about?

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2507

Would think GT is talking Royal Oak on 27th at St Cloud

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3136

Royal Oak aka the French St Leger, a G1 worth £176k compared to £255k for the G2 at Ascot :wacko:

I believe that race is where Alan King said Trueshan will be heading as he said he will avoid taking on Kyprios again.

5 of Trawlerman’s 6 wins have come on good to firm, the other win was in last years race (officially on good to soft), whilst Kyprios in his career has won on everything from good to firm to heavy with his visually most impressive win being his 1st Cadran win by 20L on proper very soft ground.

Ascot has already had 10mm of overnight rain with the round course now heavy (soft in places) and there is potentially up to another 30mm forecast. Even when they do switch the races on the round course to the quicker hurdles track (aka the inner flat track), it is still likely to be (at best) soft ground which will make it more a test of stamina than speed.

Kyprios as he has got older seems to have wisened up and doesn’t seem to do much more than is required to win and can be seen at various times early in many of his recent races being niggled at……he just keeps finding and I think if Trawlerman gets in a protracted battle with him this time, he will get outstayed in testing conditions.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1749

Surprised they aren’t putting kyprios away for a tilt at a 3rd gold cup. He really has done enough this season has he not.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7745

That could still happen.

• Total Posts 15015

Bump

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.