The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Letting Off Steam

Home Forums Horse Racing Letting Off Steam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Please put this in another part of the forum if wrong. Once more ( i know I’m only usually around when moaning :oops: ) I have to moan about the Irish handicapper! I entered my horse Silver Shuffle for the Boylesportshurdle last week at Leopardstown. He was running off 117, he is still a maiden! He is a small horse and has been getting tired after the last hurdle on the very heavy winter going. Being a flat horse he prefers better ground. One day after the last forfeit stage, unfortunately, Silver Shuffle fell over in his box ( too boisterous) , bruised himself and so couldn’t run 5 days later. Yes, bad luck, these things happen…entry fee down the drain, etc, etc. But, the icing on the cake is, we didn’t get a run and the handicapper has raised us 3 Ilbs…the 2nd in the Boylesports earned 20000 and got raised 5. This really is doing my head in, he’s only small… :( :? :evil: :twisted:

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Enter him in a handicap over here and the British handicapper will raise him by 10.

Alternatively pay the Irish handicapper to raise his mark to 165, enter him in the Grand National and Phil Smith will lower him by 10.

You can’t win.

All you can do is send your horse to Ferdy Murphy or Gordon Elliott.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Please put this in another part of the forum if wrong. Once more ( i know I’m only usually around when moaning :oops: ) I have to moan about the Irish handicapper! I entered my horse Silver Shuffle for the Boylesportshurdle last week at Leopardstown. He was running off 117, he is still a maiden! He is a small horse and has been getting tired after the last hurdle on the very heavy winter going. Being a flat horse he prefers better ground. One day after the last forfeit stage, unfortunately, Silver Shuffle fell over in his box ( too boisterous) , bruised himself and so couldn’t run 5 days later. Yes, bad luck, these things happen…entry fee down the drain, etc, etc. But, the icing on the cake is, we didn’t get a run and the handicapper has raised us 3 Ilbs…the 2nd in the Boylesports earned 20000 and got raised 5. This really is doing my head in, he’s only small… :( :? :evil: :twisted:

Dallimann,
    You’ve only got to look at Silver Shuffle’s last race to realise why he’s been put up. May only be 3rd a maiden hurdle, but the winner Midnight Game a "comfortable" winner since and second Joxer has also gone on to win. ie The form is working out really well. So the handicapper now probably believes the original rating given to your horse on Boxing Day to be lenient. He has no option but to up Silver Shuffle’s rating, otherwise it wouldn’t be fair on every other horse’s owner. Joxer was 4th in a Grade 2 Novice at the weekend too Dillimann, so hope Silver Shuffle doesn’t go up further. It’s unfortunate, feel for you, but that’s the way it goes. Had Silver Shuffle been able to run in the interim, he’d probably have made very good use of a lenient mark himself.

Value Is Everything
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

That was a hot Maiden Hurdle you ran in Dallimann so it’s not unfair to assume the horse would go up in the weights in light of how those who’ve run since have fared, and I’d hope they ignore those who were well beaten that day as IMO another of the beaten horses will be going in at Naas later this week.

Quick question as you say the horse is flat bred etc. but he’s clearly a highly talented individual but have you thought of running him at some of the Summer festivals over hurdles? There has to be something at Killarney in May for him on better ground and a win there would surely see him draw into the Galway Hurdle in July – he’s contested a good few Maidens and a Grade 2 over hurdles yet Jimmy Coogan and yourself have yet to test out his Handicap Mark (the runs behind Unaccompanied and Plan A would suggest there’s plenty more to come from him).

Martin

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Hello Martin,

Jimmy and I were planning on giving Silver Shuffle his handicap debut last week in the Boylesportshurdle at Leopardstown. As written above, a freak accident ( luckily not serious) stopped him from running. Yes, his last form was good ( on his ground) and he has just really started to get his act (jumping) together, my thanks there go to Barry Cash.He is also filling out, which is very good, he was always on the light side. But, if one looks at Spring Heeled ( handicap 123 ) we are still hard done by, he is a maiden. We will think about Killarney and Galway, but then again it’s a case of how long and if he holds his form. Only he can tell us that, and I do tend to give my horses holidays when needed. Although I think this lad thrives on his racing.

Regards

Beverley

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Thanks for replying Beverley.

Agree the horse should have a holiday when needed though he does as you say seem to thrive on his racing. The sixth from your race with Spring Heeled could make his Handicap debut off 100 at Thurles later this week so he might be one to keep an eye on, sadly it appears Silver Shuffle won’t be dropped until he loses his form and in that regard he’s being punished for his consistency but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t capable of taking home a Maiden Hurdle at some point in the coming months, maybe even get a double up if you can get Der Spieler back to Killarney for the Festival ;)

Martin

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Hi Martin, you have got me thinking about the Galway hurdle for Silver Shuffle, thanks for that, I’ll talk to the trainer tomorrow. Der Spieler has has wind problems, the operation seems to have been successful. He will win a good pot one day, he’s my baby anyway… 8)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

I hope you’re right – could even try a Galway Hurdle/Chase double with them :)

I’d imagine that SS would need to go up the weights a bit more to get a run in the Hurdle but a handicap win would help and a mark of 125-126 should see him into the race (though there’s probably 15 horses plotted up for the race already). Etiher way there’s sure to be another race at Galway for him :)

Martin

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Der Spieler still a novíce and too young for the chase…but Silver Shuffle would have got in last year on a 120… :wink: food for thought…I love Galway… :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.