The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Laying Horses

Home Forums Horse Racing Laying Horses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Something which I fail to grasp. If a horse is 2/1, and you put 100 pound on for it to lose, how much would your return be?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

£150 minus commission of winnings. In effect you have backed a 1/2 shot.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Your profit on it would be £100 less commission. The odds are irrelevant as far as your profit is concerned.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Your profit on it would be £100 less commission. The odds are irrelevant as far as your profit is concerned.

Yep because you’re being the bookie you just get what you ask for as long as the amount you ask for is matched.

You don’t put £100 on the horse you ask someone else to at the odds you specify.

I’ve only ever done one lay bet Faasel the other day, its not my thing really.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Cheers guys.

Being a betting shop punter as opposed to an online punter its something that I’ve never explored.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Sorry yes, Wallace is right. I was thinking the 100 was your liability.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

£150 minus commission of winnings. In effect you have backed a 1/2 shot.

Yes until you go on Betfair and get used to the figures, you can just reverse the odds to win to find out the odds to lose: so if you’re laying a 4/1 shot, you’re backing it at 1/4 to lose (which should make you think twice about it!).

For this reason, I rarely lay horses at under 3/1. The feeling that you get from laying a horse at, say, 6/1 and it winning (so you’ve lost £400 from trying to win £60) is pretty galling.

I always back at level stakes (each bet is ‘one point’), and always lay with a liability of one point. I work out the maximum stake which will amount to that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.