The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Laura Probert Suspended for 28 days

Home Forums Horse Racing Laura Probert Suspended for 28 days

Viewing 16 posts - 52 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Sean,

I am aware that she is not banned for six months, the suspension is ticked off on the days that amateur races are scheduled, still IMO it’s harsh.

JohnJ

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Don’t think people would think 28 days was too severe if they’d had a few grand on the beast in question.
    As Sean points out it’s only the same penalty as any other jockey would receive even if takes 6 months to complete. In this case I would have thought 6 months would be beneficial to Laura in giving her time to build her strength up and not be so weak in a finish when she rides again.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I think 28 days is sufficient, however in real time it’s not the same time.

JohnJ

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s called racing folks and unless you’re fit to race all the way to the line you shouldn’t be out there. If that was the best she could do with all her years of preparation and experience then the stewards probably only erred by not giving her life. Thorough incompetence in the first degree.

I have trained horses, ridden ( not in races ) and managed/trained young apprentices. I would never allow one to go to the races with a skill set like that which was on display. There are ample opportunities to practise these days without even getting on a horses back. Ms Probert should have spent a lot more time on the practise range getting fit and competent. This girl has been recommended by others and has let them down badly. She might need a lot more than six months to get her act together anyway.

The only amateur part of the races Amateurs ride in are the jockeys themselves. You stil have bets, paid trainers, owners bills, vets, farriers, transport, racecourse staff etc etc etc. No rider of any status should be allowed to compete if unfit for duty. Making rules different for amateurs would be a farce in itself. Those that adhere to the "it’s unfair" and "you’re speaking through your pocket" asides should stick to fairytales and the Liberal Democrats. You can live happily ever after with both.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Guys,

It was her first ride in public, she screwed up, I hope she learns her lesson.

JohnJ

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

There are very few sports where first timers are asked to make their debut in a full blown arena with senior rules.

Did Wayne Rooney play his first ever football match in front of 60,000 people?

Did Tiger Woods play his first ever golf shot in front of 1000’s at Agusta?

Did Lenix Lewis step into the ring for the very first time at Wembley?

All these sports people started off out of the media and were given time to grow and more importantly learn their trade

Most other sports have a graduate system in place where rookies can gradually build up to the professional ranks.

Was her first ride in the Epsom Derby?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

It’s surely time to hang up the riding boots after that display. Plum draw and she goes on a magical mystery tour out to the slow lane.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

She got another 2 days suspension after today’s ride! Two rides – 30 days off, must be some sort of record

• Total Posts 1511

Plenty of time to practice.

But she said she keep going strong.

Fair play others would pack it in after the headlines she got

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Laura’s comments regarding her current fitness were most interesting. I wish I could get in shape in less than a week.

Given that neither horse was given a chance of winning, that both were heavily backed and both are trained by Andrew Balding, surely more thorough questions now need to be asked?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I must admit even I am finding it hard to defend her now.

I will say this however, fair play to her for coming out and giving it a go under after last time, maybe the pressure just gets to the girl but its an amatuer race so these things must be expected, ask an amatuer to do a job and you will get a poor effort sometimes, nature of the race I would of thought..

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

With regards yesterdays effort feel you are being a touch harsh, it was only her second ride and her inexperience came to the fore in that she failed to secure the rail due to that wily old campaigner Emily Jones beating her to it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Whatever the issues here I’m sure Laura herself must be feeling pretty mortified this evening … personally, never having ridden anything more than a seaside donkey on Skegness beach I can’t comment on how "exhausted" she felt after an extended six furlongs … looking at the replay again it’s almost as if she "froze" when confronted with the prospect of winning the race on her first ride and just didn’t know how to react … or maybe I’m just being kind !

As for her turning pro, Richard (was that a tongue in cheek suggestion, by the way ?) … given that Laura has recently been reported as having signed a major modelling contract, it’s more likely she’ll be involved in photo shoots rather than photo finishes for the foreseeable future.

I wondered why the men are being nice to her, and there it is, she’s a model!

28 days is the rule, she knew that before she got on the horse. That should be the ban. Simples!

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

I take your point eddie but she was on a favourite again and I wondered if they had given her a good horse to get rid of the negative publicity. If so, it backfired. Admittedly there’s no disgrace in being outfoxed by Emily Jones in grabbing the crucial rail. But she then seemed to panic instead of waiting for her chance. Novicey but after the previous ride she was under the spotlight. It’s all a shame, I wish her well in recovering from it despite the awful, syrupy website.

• Total Posts 276

I wondered why the men are being nice to her, and there it is, she’s a model!

28 days is the rule, she knew that before she got on the horse. That should be the ban. Simples!

:D gosh, never realised I was so shallow … obviously my sarcasm was not barbed enough for your taste, Phil !!

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

These flat races for lady amateurs are comparatively infrequent (hence the length of the ban) and often the last race on the card.

There is a wide range of experience and ability amongst the jockeys which anyone viewing such a race as a serious betting proposition must factor in.

I remember seeing a race at Lingfield a couple of years ago where the inexperienced rider on the second could only offer minimal assistance to her horse, whereas Lorraine Ellison on the winner could obviously ride. Swap them over and get a different result.

That said, owners and trainers surely need to take responsibility that their pilot at least has some competence.

Viewing 16 posts - 52 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.