The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lambourn Open Day

Home Forums Horse Racing Lambourn Open Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Friday is Good Friday, which means its Lambourn Open Day again….. I shall be about and I will be milling about with my fellow memebers of the Ex-Racers Club (racehorses do have lives after racing, and if anyone is interested in this, send me a message)<br>Anyway it all kicks off in the morning  for the stables, and then in the afternoon there is plenty going on, including AP McCoy doing a huge bungee jump….

Lambourn Open Day Details  if you want anymore details just ask…

I will more than likely finish up in the champagne bar or the Malt Shovel…..

quixallcrossettquixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

Not Lambourn but off to Middleham, staying at Leyburn for a couple of days & indulging in the once a year treat of their speciality fish  & chips cooked in dripping!!<br>These Open Days raise a lot of money for charity & you wonder what will happen next year when racings on Good Friday, maybe they’ll move to a Sunday when there’s no racing, hope so, I love seeing all my "friends" in the flesh.

Young MickYoung Mick
    • Total Posts 203

Hi, <br>I am going to go to the open day but it will be my first ever one. I have never been on a stable visit or anything of the kind. I go racing often and like to have a bet, but can I ask is there anyway you can use these stable tours to find out the horses to look out for?? many thanks

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

Lamentably no, however in 2008….

daiesy
    • Total Posts 104

Lambourn Open Day is great fun, and i’ll be working as usual!

One of Barry hills Head Lads is going a bungee jump in the afternoon!

Will everyone who comes please note that at most/ all yards there ARE smoking restrictions, please go to labelled areas or refrain from smoking in the yard! <br>Horses DO bite, so please do not feed them!

I’ve seen too many incidents last year and the year before of people honestly not knowing better!

There ARE staff around so ask them to help you!!

Be aware of yard opening times, as we had people as early as 8 o’clock last year, this just mean staff get cross and we still have a lot of work to do. Yards open at different times, so it is possible to plan your visit!!

And when you visit, please come up the ‘field’ in the afternoon, it’s a great laugh!!

Have fun and see you friday!

belle of the valley<br>daiesy

DAC
    • Total Posts 3

I hope to go to Lambourn Open Day on Friday.  Have visited several of the stables before but never been to Open Day.  I would imagine car parking is a problem….any suggestions as to the best place.  Also which trainers are opening their stables?????

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Every intention of being there.

Colin

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

see the website I posted for info…

Majority of the yards are open, including the vet hospital…

For parking, head for Upper Lambourn.They normally open the fields up, opposite the Malt..

AP McCoy is doing a huge bungee jump also….

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

The best way to visit most of the stables is to park in the car park (field)  opposite Barry Hills first buy your ticket/progame at Barry Hills then go to the end of the road and park in Nick Hendersons car park (aka field) then go to the main (big) car park (near Malt Shovel pub) the other yards and the field they use for the bungee jumping etc in the afternoon are all in walking distance but its a fair distance by road from Seven Barrows to the majority of the other yards.<br>The yards are all clearly marked on the programme which everyone should purchase.<br>Noel Chance’s yard is a must as is Oliver Sherwoods Rhonehurst stables and Nick Hendersons.<br>I have been going for a number of years and never been able to visit every stable in the alloted time so one does have to miss some out.<br>P.S.<br>A few years ago I was at Jaqui Doyles small stable and this little boy was showing the horses for his mother as we left he said ‘Watch out for me when I start race riding’. Now a few years later he is one of the most promising of the new generation of jockeys.<br>Its a brilliant day out and they are normally lucky with the weather!<br>When Brian Meehan was there he gave a number of first time out 2 year old winners and ones that needed race experiance in his view before they were expected to show their best.

(Edited by Seagull at 8:17 am on April 4, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 36

Sorry to interrupt.

There is a training centre at Lambourn,isn’t it?<br>   I would like to know if Jean Rene Auvray,the only French trainer in England,is still working over there.

On the contrary, there are several English trainers in France.(Hammond,Gibson,Pease,Pritchard-Gordon)It seems to be easier to make his own place in frogs’ country

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Yes, Jean is still in Lambourn…

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Anyone go?????

I had a fab day with my friends, and caught up with some friends I have not seen in awhile….<br>I have some pics, but mainly of the jockey’s show jumping, was a busy girl all day!<br>

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Very enjoyable day as always and the weather was kind which helped.<br>Francome rolling back the years in the show jumping competition.

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Here are the pics I have from yesterday, Sorry there are not many and mainy of the show jumping, but i was a very busy girl lol!<br>Lambourn Open Day 2007

(Edited by racinggirluk at 12:52 am on April 8, 2007)

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Thanks, racinggirl, excellent stuff!

Colin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.