The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George Stakes 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George Stakes 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

He did it :good: :good: :good: !
    I never had the slightest doubt about him,
    thank you so much Battaash, your action was louder than so many words :yahoo:

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3444

Remember the name. He is BATTAASH :yes:

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Whoosh!

Well done the many Battaash fans here. Those of us who opposed him basically did so due to the ground but little did we know! He won surely in spite of conditions and when he gets a quicker surface he’s surely going to win a big’un. Whether that’s against Lady Aurelia I don’t know, but he’s our best chance of keeping the Nunthorpe at home.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26482

Well done Hein, and others.

Group 1 performance in a Group 2.
    Much the best performance seen at Goodwood this week.

Nice to see Big Bob leading him up.
    He did the sire, Dark Angel too.

value is everything
    CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

You can get 3/1 for the Nunthorpe with WilliamHill but he still has some work to do if he’s to trouble Lady Aurelia whom PaddyPower have pushed out to 7/4, and I can see that proving attractive.

Honestly, I don’t know who’ll I’d side with.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26482

You can get 3/1 for the Nunthorpe with WilliamHill but he still has some work to do if he’s to trouble Lady Aurelia whom PaddyPower have pushed out to 7/4, and I can see that proving attractive.

Honestly, I don’t know who’ll I’d side with.

Wesley Ward is usually in form going in to Royal Ascot, not sure he’s even had a winner since? Admittedly if she gets there will probably be shorter, but wouldn’t be in any hurry about taking 7/4 Lady Aurelia.

value is everything
    hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Remember the name. He is BATTAASH :yes:

Yeah Botchy, you were one of the few keeping the faith,
    and also me old Didi Hamann ;-) .

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7813

I’ve been following Dark Angels’ [alas, not this one]; can anyone tell me what sort of ground/distance his progeny like? He had a winner at Nottingham the other day [can’t remember the name] and I’ve never seen a horse try so hard; I was so impressed with it’s attitude.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26482

Group 1 performance in a Group 2.
    Much the best performance seen at Goodwood this week.

Recently moved up from Group 3. If Goodwood can persude similarly top class sprinters to run in the King George in the next few years, they’ll have another Group 1 on their hands. Only three Group 1, European 5f races is nonsense. There’s room for another one between the King’s Stand and Nunthorpe.

value is everything
    CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I personally am happy with this race as it is, I don’t think there’s a huge call to make it a Group 1 when it’s traditionally gives those horses like Take Cover a chance to shine and horses like Battaash a chance to test the waters without jumping straight into Group 1 company. The Maurice de Gheest and Nunthorpe come up quickly and it was only 3 weeks ago we had the July Cup.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21539

Bet you enjoyed that Hein….. :good:

Member since March 2008
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26482

I personally am happy with this race as it is, I don’t think there’s a huge call to make it a Group 1 when it’s traditionally gives those horses like Take Cover a chance to shine and horses like Battaash a chance to test the waters without jumping straight into Group 1 company. The Maurice de Gheest and Nunthorpe come up quickly and it was only 3 weeks ago we had the July Cup.

Three weeks is fine for a sprinter to run in both races, Charles – note Battaash’s next intended race… And make no mistake – today’s race was up to Group 1 standard (look at who finished second and third). So effectively Battaash did “jump straight in to Group 1 company“.

Some horses are 5f horses, some are 6f. How many of today’s runners ran in the 6f Jubilee or July Cup? Without looking, I believe only Kachy did in the former, but he doesn’t truly stay 6f… And the Maurice de Gheest is over 6 1/2 furlongs – a different kind of race – just as close to a mile than 5f. Indeed, closer – considering Goodwood’s 5f is normally very fast – the second fastest after Epsom I believe.

value is everything
    botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3444

The Breeders Cup Turf Sprint this year has been reduced from 6f to 5f. It would be really good to see this horse run there to give his owner a win after the great Dayjur jumped the shadow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xgZV9ADl9s

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Yes absolutely Nathan, it became quite loud in my house :yahoo: ..
    Now we’ve got two Dark Angels at the top!

Participant
    • Total Posts 26482

I’ve been following Dark Angels’ [alas, not this one]; can anyone tell me what sort of ground/distance his progeny like? He had a winner at Nottingham the other day [can’t remember the name] and I’ve never seen a horse try so hard; I was so impressed with it’s attitude.

If you want that type of information Moe,
    Go to the Racing Post race card.
    Press the horse’s name (in this case Battaash)
    Press where it gives the horse’s sire name (Dark Angel)
    Press “Stud Record”.
    Press “Progeny Statistics”.
    Scroll down to the ground/distance statistics.

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.