The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Moore will probably be on Conduit, but Conduit was massively overshadowed in a race that should of suited in the Eclipse and has to go down as a poor run, also Conduit is not the same horse going right handed, his only victory is a neck win over Donegal.

That said he has the G1 form going into the race, dont think though the trip will be a problem at all for Tartan, Golan won the race in 2002 and had the same versatility as Tartan Bearer distance wise. His G1 2nd was a race that didnt really pan to his strengths unlike Conduits loss so one could be encouraged. Stoute has said he is finding it hard to get Conduit where he was last season. He should be more in top shape when The Arc comes.

Golden Sword is the best Ballydoyle runner for me and will set a pace that will take no prisoners. Frozen Fire’s Irish Derby win was a shambolic renewal which resembled a demoltion derby rather than a derby horse race and was very disappointing at Epsom.

It’s Gino is probably very good value from his Arc run. Before that Kasmin had with ease, so I guess he wouldn’t mind a week of bad weather.

Look Here I think is a little overclassed, I think the Ballymacoll Stud duo will have too much for her. Ask already has form over her and can’t see a reverse in form.

• Total Posts 1982

Ryan Moore will be on Conduit

Mick Kinane – Tartan Bearer

Olivier Peslier – Ask

Anyone with AP vouchers should have no complaints with those bookings.

As expected, Ryan chose Conduit, but both Kinane and Peslier ride the course really well and obviously have plenty of big race experience.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

SMS quote " The owner of Ask tells me it’s going to rain which is good"

Sort of gives you the impression going for this wasn’t SM’s idea :o

towerto
    • Total Posts 92

think conduit at 2-1 is like buying money
    he will piss that lot
    i will be surprised if anything else win this race

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Golden Sword Moderate by classic stands unlikely to be placed.

Conduit….
    I can’t believe he is still available at 2/1 and can see him starting very close to evens on the day.

Taking 6/4 as a middle ground I’d like you to lay me a bit of evens he starts closer to his current price than even money- the fact he’s fav is more by default than any signs of brilliance. For all that he’s the most likely winner. I’d be a layer at 6/4 or shorter.
    I love horses like Golden Sword- because of their run style everyone crabs them and they consistently start bigger than they should. My slight worries are his consistent weakness on Betfair and the fact that Ballydoyle have declared two pacemaker types- I hope they’re not considering a change of tactics as IMO his front-running style is his biggest weapon in this race.

• Total Posts 1511

Surely Ballydoyle will make this race one of the paciest ever.

Rockhampton out in front, Freemantle next and then Golden Sword with Frozen Fire out the back.

Tactics will suit both the main AOB Horses and will probaly suit Conduit aswell. I think Golden Sword will take it up 4f out and then go for home and say come and catch me. Should be interesting race from tactics

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I dont think they will, O’Brien would have learnt having a furious pace against Conduit usually ends up in failure, so they will set a moderate to fast pace, and hope Golden Sword can get a march on their rivals, this is why Tartan Bearer could actually win, as he seems to have a turn of foot over the longer distance so I think he could actually scupper his stablemate depends though if Mick Kinane actually drops Tartan Bearer to the back and not midfield where it hasn’t really worked for him and the Dante and The Derby shows he likes being last before challenging, Moore has cocked up twice having him midfield.

Conduit though I think has proved pretty versatile, so he should have enough ability to cope with that kind of pace anyway but he has to battle more with this kind of race instead of effortlessly gliding when there is a fast pace, but I dont think he will get that kind of frantic pace this time.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

A well beaten Eclipse 3rd is red hot favourite for the King George – just about says it all about the once-great race really.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Golden Sword Moderate by classic stands unlikely to be placed.

Conduit….
    I can’t believe he is still available at 2/1 and can see him starting very close to evens on the day.

Taking 6/4 as a middle ground I’d like you to lay me a bit of evens he starts closer to his current price than even money- the fact he’s fav is more by default than any signs of brilliance. For all that he’s the most likely winner. I’d be a layer at 6/4 or shorter.
    I love horses like Golden Sword- because of their run style everyone crabs them and they consistently start bigger than they should. My slight worries are his consistent weakness on Betfair and the fact that Ballydoyle have declared two pacemaker types- I hope they’re not considering a change of tactics as IMO his front-running style is his biggest weapon in this race.

When you look at the facts I’d say there’s every chance AOB will revert back to the tactics used in the Derby and I am with Red on this. Although I hope I’m wrong as I want to see a true run race.

Everyone assumes Golden Sword is a stayer and a Leger horse but is he?
    A study of the Irish Derby, The ease in which Fame and Glory beat him and the distance between him and Moryan at the 3 furlongs marker and the line casts some doubts in my mind if he would last home in top class. company

Trying to gallop Conduit and co into the ground might be the totally wrong tactic

Conduit has won at shorter distances but I think it would be safe to say he needs 1m4f and a strong gallop to be seen at his best.

Tartan Bearer would perhaps apprecaite a moderate pace to help him get the trip but he seldom finds enough at the end of his races. He was almost caught out by a quick injection of pace at Sandown over 1m2f and the same tactic could catch him out again

Ask needs cut and a strong pace to be seen at his best.

Golden Sword had enough speed to get them all at it in the Derby after a crawl. He’s won round Chester and he has also won over 7f in an earlier race.

When you consider after that very slow pace in the Derby he was only beaten 2 lengths by Sea the Stars and Conduit was beaten 5 lengths over 1m2f then it’s pretty clear a slow pace might suit Golden Sword a lot more than it would Conduit or any of the SMS trio.

A slow mile and a sudden injection of pace might be his best chance of success.

It’s all down to how AOB sees it so who knows what the great man is thinking.

towerto
    • Total Posts 92

surely the rythm of the race will depend on murtagh mount
    if he rides golden sword poor pace
    if rides frozen strong galop

• Total Posts 403

think conduit at 2-1 is like buying money
    he will piss that lot
    i will be surprised if anything else win this race

A towering piece of analysis. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

and so ends another intellegent debate :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Couldn’t believe it when I logged on to the RP website. Which will Moore ride is headline news again despite others claims he has already confirmed he ride Conduit.

I honestly think this is not a case of which is the best horse but of a case of how is AOB going to play this.

I have always boubted Tartan Bearers ability to truly stay 1m4 but if this was to turn out to be another farce like the Epsom Derby (No disrepect to the winner) perhaps Moore would be better on Tartan Bearer because we saw how inafective Conduit was when stamina was not a factor.

I think AOB has got the Stoute team by the goolies here and causing them total confusion….My advice….toss a coin Ryan :lol:

• Total Posts 1415

Couldn’t believe it when I logged on to the RP website. Which will Moore ride is headline news again despite others claims he has already confirmed he ride Conduit.

I honestly think this is not a case of which is the best horse but of a case of how is AOB going to play this.

I have always boubted Tartan Bearers ability to truly stay 1m4 but if this was to turn out to be another farce like the Epsom Derby (No disrepect to the winner) perhaps Moore would be better on Tartan Bearer because we saw how inafective Conduit was when stamina was not a factor.

I think AOB has got the Stoute team by the goolies here and causing them total confusion….My advice….toss a coin Ryan :lol:

Sir Michael Stoute has Ask in the field who would want a good gallop so I don’t really see why you are so concerned about the pace Fist. I think its sure to be an honest gallop at least.

So O’Brien has pacemakers entered there’s no reason why Ask can’t be sent on if the Ballydoyle team start messing about or perhaps even Tartan Bearer who is honest but really lacks a turn of foot.

With three horses entered and two of them with form over further Sir Michael has no excuse for allowing the O’Brien team to dicate the race to his.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Fist, I won’t hear a bad word against you – but you are getting very grumpy in your old age. :lol:

Re: Sea The Stars : I think you’re in denial. I’m sure you said the other day that if Sea The Stars ran in the King George he’d probably win. Therefore, I’m kind of struggling to see where you’re coming from.

Great horses don’t always travel far and wide to prove their true worth. Brigadier Gerard, for example, ran all his races in England. As for John Oxx not running him in anymore in mile and a half races; well, it probably is the case that he considers the mile and a quarter the horse’s best distance – and one at which he is most effective.

I happen to subscribe to the notion that Sea The Stars is the best Derby winner since Nashwan – although anyone who would like to throw Generous into the mix won’t hear any protestations from me.

I also think Sir Michael Stoute is happier that Sea The Stars won’t be lining up on Saturday. He considers John Oxx’s colt to be " one serious horse" – and old Stoutey should know. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I sure am getting grumpy bloody racing is awful just now and the jumps was way much more fun. :lol: actually I enjoying the flat and you as usual make a valid point but Mill Reef and The Brigadier V Sea the Stars and Rip Van Winkle. Bit more form franking went on back then I would say.

Let’s see how it all pans out.

I think if you read back my posts I said that if I didn’t know better I thought Conduit came there in the Eclipse and ran like a horse who was short of gallop. It would seem I was not as well informed I thought as SMS is now saying publically he didn’t have him right for the Eclipse.

I can’t wait to see how this race pans out and if Sea the Stars was in it with my hand on my heart I would still back Conduit. That’s simply because SMS never says much but when he does I have found it very rewarding to listen.

Ian my old mate I hear what you are saying about Ask, but SMS doesn’t own him and I seriously doubt if Pat Fahey would agree to his horse cutting out the donkey work for the Ballymacoll Stud pair. Ask has won from the front and was up there early at Epsom but he is generally held up.

I think the key to the whole race is the pace but hopefully Conduit will have too much toe for them no matter how they run it

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I dont think they will, O’Brien would have learnt having a furious pace against Conduit usually ends up in failure, so they will set a moderate to fast pace, and hope Golden Sword can get a march on their rivals, this is why Tartan Bearer could actually win, as he seems to have a turn of foot over the longer distance so I think he could actually scupper his stablemate depends though if Mick Kinane actually drops Tartan Bearer to the back and not midfield where it hasn’t really worked for him and the Dante and The Derby shows he likes being last before challenging, Moore has cocked up twice having him midfield.

Conduit though I think has proved pretty versatile, so he should have enough ability to cope with that kind of pace anyway but he has to battle more with this kind of race instead of effortlessly gliding when there is a fast pace, but I dont think he will get that kind of frantic pace this time.

I had this discussion before about Tartan Bearer and the fact he looked like a horse who didn’t get the trip in the Irish Derby.

You were quick to tell me the horse was injured during the race and was off for months. You devil :lol:

It seems you were mistaken as SMS has said openly he was off because of a bout of ringworm and there was no injury. :P

However if the pace is slow and he is ridden like you suggest he could benefit from it and could win but if this race is run at a good Group 1 pace I would give him no chance of getting the trip round here.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.