The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Looks like there will be very few 3 year olds again this year.

Thought there was some hope of having a few there this year.

• Total Posts 1688

Sounds like the plan Shabby – talk up the King George/Arc as a means of promoting the stallion as not a dour type restricted to producing NH horses.

But an 8YO with four consecutive Gold Cups winning, or even placing in the King George? It’ll be one helluva feat, that’s for sure.

nefertiti
    Participant
    • Total Posts 234

If they are really serious about going for a 12f race (and not simply talking it up for stud purposes), the King George seems a much better option than the Arc. Yeats clearly loves Ascot and the ground he has consistently found there, and he always produces his best runs (Gold Cups and Goodwood Cups) in June/July. The ground at Longchamp is unlikely to suit him as well, and his form usually dips a bit in the autumn. Then there almost always is an emerging star French 3 year old who will certainly not put in an appearance in the King George.

The only real downside to Ascot that I can see is that Yeats would miss the Goodwood Cup, a much more winnable option for him. But if they want a real chance of his winning or at least running well in a 12f G1, surely the King George is better for the horse than the Arc.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I can’t see Yeats having the toe to win the King George and something would be sure to outspeed him. I thiink the reason AOB is thinking about running him in the KG is he doesn’t have anything else in the yard good enough. Clutching at straws perhaps?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

From the impressions Conduit left me in the St Leger and then the Breeders’ Cup Turf, he is a fantastic 5/1 bet.

Certainly looks that way now. Best price available is 2/1 and some are as low as 6/4.

Sea the Stars has been taken out of the Eclipse betting and Oxx will avoid Conduit like the plague and must be doubtful for the KG……..Conduit 1st horse since Nashwan to complete the double :) ?

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

despite great efforts by ascot in putting the prize money up to a million,yet again the race looks a shadow of its former self with the connections of sea the stars not being brave enough to run him.
    its no suprise to see yates being a possible and it will give the race a lift.
    yes ordinarily you would think that an ascot gold cup winner would get done for toe but yeats is no ordinary horse and sadly the king george is nowadays just another group one race,

• Total Posts 1415

Re-match Sea The Stars vs Fame And Glory would be nice. :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Not going to happen Ian is it? Fame and Glory will surely go for the St Leger and pick up some easy money?

If Sea the Stars were to beat Conduit easily or vice versa I would imagine the winner then go for the King George and Queen Elizabeth.

Whatever way that result goes if one of them wins easily I can’t see there being any more than half a dozen to 8 runners at Ascot.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I don’t think there’s any point anything else turning up anyway, Fist.

One of either Sea The Stars or Conduit will surely head the market, and unless Look Here improves from her first two runs this season everything else will be fighting for second place.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s hard to see what’s going to run. Johnny Murtagh is saying he thinks Fame and Glory is improving and would like to take on Sea the Stars later in the year.

He also mentions the Irish Champion Stakes which would clash with the St Leger and is over 1m2f. Perhaps he thinks the horse wouldn’t get the 1m6f trip.

I suppose he could turn up for te King George but I have a feeling

Yeats

will go for it as I doubt if they will wait until Arc day to find out if he has the speed for a Group1 1m4f race these days.

Sea the Stars

is 5/1 for the king George but that’s because he is highly likley to miss the race unless he murders Conduit in the Eclipse he is heading to yourk for the Juddmonte International Stakes. Fame and Glory may sidestep the King George for that which would fit in well with the Irish Champion Stakes or the St Leger.

Youzmain got beat again today and even if he turns up I doubt if he would be anything to worry about. SMS said he won’t run

Tartan Bearer

against Conduit and as for

Ask

I would very much doubt he would turn up on fast ground.

The same would apply to

Casual Conquest

who surely they wouldn’t subject him to a hard race on fast ground after the way he won the Tattersalls Gold Cup in heavy ground. I would imagine he would be heading for the ARC and they would try and find something in Ireland for him on softish ground.

Cima De Triomphe

is Newmarket bound and there really isn’t anything else as you say.

I have already backed Conduit at 5/1 for this but I am backing him again at 6/4. The way this race is shaping up he could end up long odds on for this. You would have to worry if Yeats turned up but as good as he is he would have to make the race into a tst of stamina and all he would do is set the race up for Conduit IMO.

If Yeats doesn’t turn up this could be the worst King George for years and backing Conduit now would be like a licence for printing money.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

IMHO Frozen Fire will surprise quite a few people, but I fully agree that Conduit is the one to beat and Fist’s summary is spot on.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

Yes I think Frozen Fire could run well as he does not like Epsom and was not beaten far last time.

Its hard to think of an AOB three year old that will run in this so it could be a race for Yeats although personally I hope not.

It could be Frozen Fire, maybe with a pacemaker, and thats it from Ballydoyle.

We will see.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I do hope that John Oxx chooses to run Sea The Stars in this race, thereby proving beyond doubt that the great horse truly does stay a mile and a half, and is without question the best middle distance racehorse in Europe.

He would also become only the second horse (after Nashwan) in racing history to complete the quadruple –

2,000 Gns, Derby, Eclipse & KG and QE stakes.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Karinga Bay
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

Hello to all, I have been reading the forum for a while and have finally decided to get involved! Youmzain overpriced at 10s for me… last 15 runs have been in Group 1s, won or placed in 11 of them including last 2 Arcs and last 2 renewals of this, reasonably adaptable on going, so not too much worry on that score. High class and very consistent.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sea The Stars is highly unlikely to take his place in the race – I’m getting a little tired of Oxx’s attitude – so a speculative each-way interest in Look Here will do for me (unless Ralph Beckett hasn’t realised Seb Sanders is useless, in which case I’ll just set fire to my money instead).

Karinga Bay
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

Hello to all, I have been reading the forum for a while and have finally decided to get involved! Youmzain overpriced at 10s for me… last 15 runs have been in Group 1s, won or placed in 11 of them including last 2 Arcs and last 2 renewals of this, reasonably adaptable on going, so not too much worry on that score. High class and very consistent.

Meant to say each way! :oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Would be surprised to see Youmzain win. The finishing straight’s simply not long enough for him. You’re effectively backing him for a place at 6/4 and you’ll get a lot better than that in the place market on the day IMO.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.