The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kim Bailey answers your questions

Home Forums Archive Topics Celebrity Q&A’s Kim Bailey answers your questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

— Posted by Marty on 1:14 pm on Oct. 27, 2001

Mr Frisk :0), my first ever national winner. All of about £7 if I remember right hehheh.

I would like to ask Kim firstly whom we should look out for from his stable in the coming months and secondly what he thinks of the claims made recently on this board and regularly on others that racing is crooked.

Many thanks.

It is hard to mention one particular horse, as after last year we really didn’t have a huge chance to find out about the young horses, although Sh Boon should be a nice horse to follow, he is a half brother to Anzum by Alderbrook, but if you had a pound on all my horses for the season you should make a profit!!! If you would like a brochure of my horses send me your address and I will send you a copy. I really don’t believe racing is crooked, certainly jump racing is concerned, as so much can go wrong, as for flat racing I am afraid as I don’t have any flat horses, I am not therefore involved with it, And I don’t read Dick Francis!!

<br>—  Posted by robgomm on 2:40 pm on Oct. 27, 2001<br>Hello Mr Bailey,

I’d like to ask you about Docklands Express. Was it the letter from Nick Mordin that helped you to decide to run him in the Racing Post Chase back in 1992?

According to his book he sent you a letter with one of his file cards enclosed. Apparently he’d evaluated that Docklands Express was almost unbeatable on tight tracks but I wasn’t involved in racing back then so I am just going off what I’ve read.

Thanks for answering our questions, Rob.

I am afraid I really cant remember that being the case, We had always wanted to aim him at the Racing post chase, as it is a handicap. But somebody else might have suggested running him in the King George, because we didn’t expect him to run that well. He was a very special horse, who enjoying a wonderful retirement, I wouldn’t mind another one like him!!

<br>— Posted by Scotia on 4:54 pm on Oct. 27, 2001<br>Do you find having your own website attracts more interest in your business.<br>I find them interesting; your site is very good and easy to navigate around in.<br>Also you updated regularly which keeps me coming back.

While surfing around the net I noticed that they have reintroduced the Breeders Cup Steeplechase.

Made me wonder if any horses from across here might head across for another crack at it. Morley Street did back to back wins in 1990/91 after winning the Champion Hurdle. Is there a reason we don’t participate?

Thank you for your time.

My web site seems to attract new owners; we work hard on it to keep it interesting. Although at times it does cause problems when I say something on there, which I haven’t told the owners! The Breeders cup Races are a good idea, but you want a horse that must want firm ground, and unfortunately most top class horses nowadays want good ground, so it is quiet a risk to take them out there and very expensive.

<br>— — Posted by Cara on 5:31 pm on Oct. 27, 2001<br>Hello Mr Bailey I would like to ask you what your thoughts are on amateur Jockeys, and which jockeys you feel will make the grade and will come on to be future A P McCoy’s .My second question is What do you think of the French training methods do they differ from yours and if so in what ways??? And do you think the French are becoming big rivals in the jumping game??

Thank you very much for your time<br>Yours Cara xxxx

I have a very promising amateur in Des Flavin, so follow his progress. It is very hard for them to get going, They can loose their claim very quickly, but they have to work very hard to keep that momentum going, otherwise they tend to disappear in the professional ranks, as there are always new kids on the blocks coming through. It such a game of fashion. Richie Forrestal is prime example, he was a very good amateur but really has disappeared, and he thought he was too good to work I am afraid! As for the French training methods, I don’t really know much about them, they are supposed to be harder on horses than we are, which might be why so many of their horses don’t keep going when they get older. They certainly are big players, but need big money for their horses. As to rivals, no, we want good competition that is very healthy.

<br>— — Posted by Daylight on 6:19 pm on Oct. 27, 2001<br>Thank you for answering our questions Kim, it is very much appreciated.

Alderbrook was one of the biggest gambles I have ever been part off and only managed to get just double figure odds whilst some lucky people got a massive 50/1. I remembered reading our bullish comments and reasons why we would win and felt compelled to back your horse for which I am grateful – thanks. Your finest hour as a trainer came within 1 day when you won with Alderbrook then Master Oats, my question is I would like to know how you felt as we could only dream about such things as backing them both, let alone training them!!

What horses are your Cheltenham hopes resting on this year?

Good luck for the future NH season Kim.

How can I forget those 3 days!! They were very special, but my lasting memory was of my Father kissing me, which he hadn’t done since I was 7 years old, It made us both very emotional, he was tough man, but was very proud. He sadly died shortly afterwards, so as you can imagine that is my lasting memory of that week. I hope I can do one of those races again, but I shall miss him, perhaps my son will have the same feeling in years to come.<br>At the moment I don’t really have any stars for the Festival, but we will in the future, as we are rebuilding, so don’t forget me Please.

<br>— — Posted by KEITH REED on 8:55 pm on Oct. 27, 2001<br>Hello Kim.<br>How did you become interested in racing?

My father trained a few horses for friends, and did well at it. I went to work in Newmarket for Humphrey Cotterill, and then I went to Capt Tim Forster and then 3 years with Fred Rimmell. Great days, with the winners of the Grand National (Rag Trade) Gold Cup (Royal Frolic) Champion Hurdle (Comedy of errors). All great experience. Always loved racing, and I shall try to stop my son going into it, but I know I wont succeed!!

<br>— — Posted by michael on 11:58 pm on Oct. 27, 2001<br>Hi Kim and thanks for answering our questions.<br>Do you think schooling in public should be allowed but treated as non-runners for betting purposes? In other words the trainer would be allowed to school in public but must declare his/her intentions before the race.

No I don’t think you should be allowed to school in public, provided you have your horses fit there shouldn’t be a need for schooling in public. Some racecourses are very helpful and let you school after racing. It is a very emotive subject, but I believe the current system is correct.

<br>— — Posted by sidders on 8:55 am on Oct. 29, 2001<br>Many thanks for being grilled Kim !!!!!!

Which achievement would you like to have most before you ‘hang up your boots?'<br>What’s the most valuable lesson you have learnt about racing over the years?<br>Any chance of another Master Oats?

Many thanks and have fun this season……….

I am in no hurry to hang up my boots!!! We all want winners, and I am no different, I would love to be lucky enough to have a horse good enough to win one of those big races again, I suppose the one big lesson I have learnt is not to give up on a horse too quickly, it is easy to do, but horses change as they get older, and can suddenly improve, and make bloody fools of you!! I keep looking for another master Oats, we all had the chance to have him, I was sent him as they didn’t think he was good enough to go to a big trainer, so we all need luck, And it goes to show that advertising does pay, as I advertised him in the Racing post for 3 weeks before Paul Mathews bought him!!

<br>— — Posted by Escorial on 9:34 am on Oct. 29, 2001<br>Hi Kim, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I’ve long been an afficiando of National hunt racing and much prefer it to the summer game. My question revolves around the lack of hurdlers around right now and I was wondering what your thoughts on the reasons are. Over the last few years, a "class act" off the flat has, basically, toyed with the opposition and won, in my opinion, sub-standard Champion Hurdles. You yourself won the race with a Group horse off the flat, Alderbrook, and I was wondering if you have ever felt that it "felt right" if you understand what I mean, being as you are, a "National Hunt" man The second horse that year had been earning his stripes over the years and, whilst I actually had a 33/1 voucher about your horse, I felt sorry for the connections of the runner up. The old adage of "a good flat horse will always beat a good jumps horse" was fully bourne out that day and you won the race with a virtual novice. We now find that trainers are looking to send their horses straight over fences after their novice season and Istabraq merely has to turn up to collect his prize, because the only horses he has to beat, are the same ones from the year before. As much as I admire the horse for his achievements, it’s just a case of "well, what did you expect!". My questions would be….

Would you prefer to win these races with National Hunt bred horses or do you not really mind how you do it?

Just where have all the hurdlers gone?

Thanks again Kim and all the very best to you and your team for the coming season……

<br>Well what a long question!!<br>I don’t believe that good flat horses make top class hurdlers, there is proof to both sides of the argument, but Alderbrook was a great exception, they have to have the guts for the hurley burley of jumping at speed over hurdles, there have been plenty that turn their heads up, and of course there are some very bad flat horse that turn out to be stars over hurdles, like Mysilve. A great deal of money is spent buying expensive ex flat horses to win the Triumph hurdle. And you don’t always hear of them after their 3-year-old career. I am happy to keep the races as they are, Chasers will come through, but big horses like Comedy Of errors did like jumping fences, as did some of Fred winters good hurdlers.<br>There are more hurdlers now than a couple of years ago, as the races have been framed to stop jump bred taking on flat bred ones, so I believe that the future is bright for the store horses.<br>Lets face it Istabraq is a hero, and the sport needs them, and he doesn’t always win!

<br>— — Posted by Katy on 12:06 pm on Oct. 29, 2001<br>Hi Kim, thanks for answering our questions.

Firstly I would like to ask, what have been the best and worst points in your training career, and also is there a particular horse that you will always remember.

Thanks again.

The greatest moments of my training career would have to be winning the two big races at Cheltenham in 1995 but the race that gave me the most satisfaction was Mr Frisk winning the Whitbread after he had already won the National.  Especially as everybody said it was impossible, no horse had ever done it before and as yet none since.  Another day that was especially memorable for me was pulling off a big coup with Carnival Air at Sandown having not been on the racecourse for three years. The worst moments are always when horses get killed or injured but I try not to remember too many of them.  I am a great believer on looking on the bright side of life and Racing can be pretty depressing at times.

<br>— — Posted by Daylight on 11:38 am on Oct. 30, 2001<br>Hi Kim,

I think we are currently witnessing the greatest jump jockey ever to ride on British soil in the form of Tony McCoy, do you agree with that? If not who?

I totally agree, he is the most extraordinary jockey.  He hasn’t ridden for me a great deal but what rides he has had for me have nearly always won.  He is exceptionally strong and what I like about him is if you ask him not to hit a horse, he won’t.

<br>— — Posted by Zoz on 9:14 pm on Nov. 1, 2001<br>Hi Kim, and thanks!

Okay, firstly can you give us an idea of how you came to be working as a trainer, i.e. assistant training, previous jobs, the works.

Also, what is it honestly and frankly like to be a trainer, I should think all the members realise it isn’t all roses and winners, but can you give us a "brutally" honest opinion of how your job can leave you feeling at the end of the day and why.

Cheers and good luck!

My father used to train horses for a few friends and that is how became interested.  I spent some time in Newmarket with Humphrey Cotterill followed by two seasons with Captain Tim Forster and then two seasons with Fred Rimell.  They were all great people to work for and I was able to witness the training of a Grand National, Champion Hurdle and Cheltenham Gold Cup amongst many other famous races. Training is a way of life.  The good times are tremendous and the bad times are horrible.  You can never ever relax because however good your day might have been at the races you more than often come home to face a problem in the yard.  Certainly after a busy week of getting up early in the morning, driving half way round the countryside and blistering your eardrums on the telephone one is knackered.  It always looks a glamorous sport from the outside but anybody who spends a day in the racing yard will soon realise that there isn’t a great deal of glamour involved in it.  At the end of all that, I wouldn’t want to do any thing else.

<br>— — Posted by dubaimillennium on 10:23 am on Nov. 2, 2001<br>Hello Kim,

First thank you very much for your time to answer all our questions. So let’s get started

Do you buy horses and if yes, where do you buy them?<br>I buy most of my horses at Doncaster Sales in May.  Those are the unbroken ones and I have a couple of people scouting round Ireland for me.

Do you like to work with flat breed horses? And to train them for the jumps?<br>If people wish to send me flat bred horses to go jumping that doesn’t cause me any problems.  They are no different to train except the occasional one needs more schooling.

Would you like to train horses for the flat as well?<br>I firmly believe you either do one or the other.  I have chosen to train National Hunt horses.  I believe every trainer would like to train top class Flat horses but unfortunately I find run of the mill Flat racing very boring.  The people are completely different, jump racing produces real enthusiasts.

Can you tell me the difference between a hurdler and a chaser, is a good hurdler automatically a good chaser one day?<br>Most horses if they have got the size and enjoy jumping will jump fences.   I never thought that Docklands Express would jump a fence as he was too small but at the end of it he had the guts for it and that’s what it takes.  It doesn’t mean that a good hurdler will make a good chaser.  Champion Hurdle winning horse, Comedy of Errors who was a huge horse couldn’t jump fences.

What do you think about French and about German breed horses for English Racing (Jumps)?<br>I haven’t had a great deal of experience with them but the French bred horses certainly seem to be very forward and are doing well under current conditions.

Do you think Bumper Races are important? Why?<br>I don’t.  I think they are a good excuse to give a horse more time and invariably a horse that runs in the bumper goes hurdling and races as if it has never seen a racecourse before.  They are a good way of bringing young horses on.

What is the age that you want a “newcomerâ€ÂÂ

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

:clap: Thank you Kim – really good stuff :)

dubaimillennium
    • Total Posts 41

GREAT, THANKS A LOT

<br>:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ALI
    • Total Posts 43

Another exellent set of Q&A’s, thanks to everyone involved.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Many thanks to everyone involved, that was a top-flight Q&A, this forum gets better and better!!

Scotia
    • Total Posts 111

Another Top Class Q & A Session

Great Reading

Thanks to Kim and all concerned

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I agree some good stuff there – although I don’t think it was too clever Kim saying that he found "run of the mill flat racing boring" …… I find a lot of jump racing boring but then again I’m a flat man, maybe that was his point!;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.