The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kentucky Derby 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Kentucky Derby 2024

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

My ante post favourite has been Sierra Leone, he’s been very consistent in his races and comes from off the pace, even on his 3 Yr old debut which was on a Sloppy track. My only doubt now is he’s drawn in stall 2 and I wonder how he’s going to take all the bumping into the first corner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1650

My pick is Catching Freedom but I’m hoping West Saratoga can pull off a miracle, his trainer seems wonderful.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9140

Sorry for the aftertiming but I backed Mystik Dan at the last minute because I back horses that go blue across the board on oddschecker. His price kept coming in and I then got logged out of W Hill ( it’s always happening) but managed to log in on oddschecker and put my 5 pence ew on. Really thought he’d got beat on the line so turned my iPad off ( couldn’t look!) and when I turned it back on again it had won! Was up late looking at the 1000gns but always stay up for the big American races. Well chuffed.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6592

Sierra Leone clearly the best horse

But has thrown the race away lugging to the left

Even if he’d crossed the line first he’d have been demoted to third

Would’ve won by 4 or 5 lengths I’d say had he run in a straight line

Happy to aftertime the loser and say I backed him and am glad he didn’t cross the line first as there is no way he’d have kept the race

Participant
    • Total Posts 8208

At least RTV and SSR showed NBC’s broadcast this year. Unlike last year when SSR only showed the race and RTV did not show it at all.

Nick Luck looked a bit terrified during his trip to see the crowd on the infield!

Good to see the singing of “My Old Kentucky Home” was restored to its place, instead of just the tune being played. There is nothing controversial about the modern lyrics anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33

Sierra Leone run a good race, His not running in a straight line was Tyrone’s main concern after the blue grass. Forever Young, that’s one tough horse.

Only 5 races under his belt so room to correct the lagging to the left.

I’ll have a bet on him for the Breeders Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1720

Got to be some of the worst commentating I have ever heard. Off the final bend into the stretch Mystik Dan barged through the inside and clearly hit the front but the commentator was calling the two in second and third. Was he blind.

"Life is timeless, days are long when you're young"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8208

Tommo would have done a better job. And he could have called PHOTO!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3370

“Tommo would have done a better job. And he could have called PHOTO!!”

“That’s close, that’s one for the judge”

But would Tommo have named the 3 horses involved in the photo?

To be fair both Tommo & Tomlinson have both made an effort to name horses involved in photos when they didn’t used to, unlike Barty who can’t be bothered.

Mystic Dan got the run of the race, went the shortest route and it’s got to be said received a race winning ride. It’s unlikely he will turn out to be best horse in the future but who cares if you’ve won the Kentucky Derby.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9140

There was money going on him just before the off so someone expected a good run from him. Jockey rode the perfect race but I really thought he’d got pipped at the post.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1650

“Got to be some of the worst commentating I have ever heard. Off the final bend into the stretch Mystik Dan barged through the inside and clearly hit the front but the commentator was calling the two in second and third. Was he blind.”

Agreed, and Larry Collmus didn’t do well the last few Derbies either. The Churchill Downs announcer Travis Stone nailed it, though https://twitter.com/KentuckyDerby/status/1786912646056353840

Participant
    • Total Posts 8208

NBC’s coverage was mostly very good.

OK, America is a far larger country – but the sight of 150,000 people on course and quality coverage from a major broadcaster makes me wonder if we are seriously selling racing short on this side of the Atlantic.

GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 382

The Sierra Leone jockey now in trouble for putting his hands on Forever Young up the home straight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.