The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

July Cup 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion July Cup 2016

Viewing 12 posts - 52 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

WELL DONE JAC :rose: TOP TOP TIPPING !!! And what a performance!! Just what you want to see in a Group One race!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

The draw at Newmarket rarely makes a difference to the result of a race, its the uphill finish that usually sees them off. I think Henry Candy knew full well that Twilight Son wouldn’t go on the ground he just left him in to add a little confusion in the betting ring.

The Bunbury Cup, which followed the July Cup saw Golden Steps (drawn 1) win from Heaven’s Guest (drawn 14)

Yes but draw does come into account when there is a pace bias like this race. The pace was stall 11 onwards

Who really cares :unsure: for me personally it’s all about the horses and a wonderful day out and it was.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

WELL DONE JAC :rose: TOP TOP TIPPING !!! And what a performance!! Just what you want to see in a Group One race!!

I was dreading having to choose between Twilight Son and Limato Raymo and did have a little saver on Twilight Son just in case but over the moon with the result and what a run from Suedois and Quiet Reflection too. Sadly didn’t get a shot of Suedois for BigG but he ran a great race for David O’Meara. Fantastic day out and the atmosphere yesterday after the race was wonderful. :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

No Sussex for Limato as he’s banged his head (and knocked some sense into his trainer)

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

Plenty of sense from that man Candy here: http://www.ownerbreeder.co.uk/2016/07/candid-candy-still-ambitious/

(along with a wonderful story about flying with Sea Bird!)

So pleased to see Limato do that yesterday – hopefully he can be as durable as Cirrus & Solow & we will be seeing him blitz top class sprinting fields for years.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

No disrespect to Henry Candy, he’s had his share of success but he’s never quite hit the heights and there have been big gaps in his top level successes.

Henry Cecil used to always stress the importance of finding what a horse is best at and sticking to it in order that the horse enjoys his job. You sort of feel Henry Candy would have managed to get Frankel beat somewhere.

Henry resisted the calls to try to push Frankel over further, in what seemed a public obsession in finding out where the great horse’s breakin point lay.

I was a bit peeved by Henry Candy when he first said that Limato would not run at Haydock because the horse would not be suited by the soft in the going description. He then did a u-turn and said that, because they had uprated the Sandy Lane stakes and there was a nice pot of prize money, that the racecourse deserved to have Limato running.

Limato went off Evens fav and got stuffed by Adaay. I just feel it should be about what is best for the horse and not the racecourse.

The only horse to beat Adaay over 6F on good to firm ground was Muharrar and he was a real star and Champion Sprinter. Charlie Hills ran Muharrar in the French Guineas but quickly realised the horse was a sprinter. He stuck to that and the horse thrived for it, he absolutely hosed up on his last start and would have been a force had he stayed in training.

Limato looked/looks a fast ground 6F horse, so why not let him stick to that?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Thanks, Titus: a fascinating interview. Who’d have known Limato was trained on a carpet!?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

No disrespect to Henry Candy, he’s had his share of success but he’s never quite hit the heights and there have been big gaps in his top level successes.

Henry Cecil used to always stress the importance of finding what a horse is best at and sticking to it in order that the horse enjoys his job. You sort of feel Henry Candy would have managed to get Frankel beat somewhere.

Henry resisted the calls to try to push Frankel over further, in what seemed a public obsession in finding out where the great horse’s breakin point lay.

I was a bit peeved by Henry Candy when he first said that Limato would not run at Haydock because the horse would not be suited by the soft in the going description. He then did a u-turn and said that, because they had uprated the Sandy Lane stakes and there was a nice pot of prize money, that the racecourse deserved to have Limato running.

Limato went off Evens fav and got stuffed by Adaay. I just feel it should be about what is best for the horse and not the racecourse.

The only horse to beat Adaay over 6F on good to firm ground was Muharrar and he was a real star and Champion Sprinter. Charlie Hills ran Muharrar in the French Guineas but quickly realised the horse was a sprinter. He stuck to that and the horse thrived for it, he absolutely hosed up on his last start and would have been a force had he stayed in training.

Limato looked/looks a fast ground 6F horse, so why not let him stick to that?

I think the major difference with Limato to the others is that he is a gelding. Geldings are for racing, the others are for stud.
    If there are no other fast ground 6 furlong races for weeks or months he has to run in other races. What if both Deauville and Haydock come up soft?

Arguably Limato’s best 2 runs prior to Saturday were both over 7fs but he still received 20 grand more running at Haydock than standing in his box and starting at evens fav not many at the time thought it was a bad decision.

It’s surprising he’s never run over 5fs and isn’t entered in the Nunthorpe, don’t know the reason for that decision. Henry just says “I didn’t enter him and he wont be supplemented”.
    Can’t say I was too impressed with Harry Bentley’s riding and whip use when he struck the front on Saturday, doubt a top jockey would have needed the whip much but in the end it didn’t matter.

Plenty of time in future years for 8fs if he slows up.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

Some of you are being incredibly harsh on the Candyman. Limato is a little miracle, but his physical weakness makes him very tough to keep sound. Candy always has to be flexible and change plans according to what Limato is showing on the gallops. Comparing Limato to Frankel is totally absurd when you compare the constitutions – for shame.

Many of you are also being very reckless in drawing conclusions from Limato’s Lockinge effort. It was his first run back, the ground did not suit and Candy’s horses were under a cloud. Can you really write him off as a non-stayer yet? :unsure:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

Well done trip with Limato

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Some of you are being incredibly harsh on the Candyman. Limato is a little miracle, but his physical weakness makes him very tough to keep sound. Candy always has to be flexible and change plans according to what Limato is showing on the gallops. Comparing Limato to Frankel is totally absurd when you compare the constitutions – for shame.

Many of you are also being very reckless in drawing conclusions from Limato’s Lockinge effort. It was his first run back, the ground did not suit and Candy’s horses were under a cloud. Can you really write him off as a non-stayer yet? :unsure:

He might last a mile, but when you win a race of Saturday’s quality with that kind of late pace burst, then seek no more, you have found your perfect trip/conditions

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Great photo of Quiet Reflection Jac…. :heart:

Lost Soldier – Fair point with it being Limato’s first run of the season in the Lockinge but I agree with Joe to win so well in such a competitive race over 6f with such a kick he’d have to be some horse to beat the very top echelon of the milers.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Viewing 12 posts - 52 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.