The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

July Cup 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion July Cup 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

The At The Races card for the race shows Sole Power as a Distance winner. I must have missed that one. I have trawled his win record on a few sites and not found a 6F win for him?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I much prefer this years form to looking at what happened last year.

3YO horse all mature at different rates and it’s how they compare the following year that matters.

Just out of interest I watched the sprint where Twilight Son and Magical Memory clashed on Guineas day last year.

Twilight Son was a good winner but Magical Memory dwelt and was last early. Twilight Son picked up well and Magical Memory would probably never have caught him anyway, but he was green when coming to make his challenge and wandered about a bit before finishing 3rd. He was also conceding 4lbs to Candy’s sprinter that day, so the margin probably flatters the winner somewhat.

The other times they met the ground had soft in the description.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16967

You’re right Steve Sole Power has never won at 6 furlongs perhaps they got him mixed up with Slade Power :unsure:

Great write up and breakdown of the race and Magical Memory would be a fitting winner of this. However I can’t get it out of my head that Twilight Son or Limato will win this but the problem is which one, as you so rightly put it Good Cop/Bad Cop. Will the ground become to quick for Twilight Son he was well beaten by Magical Memory at Royal Ascot on good ground, Limato will certainly handle the quickening ground.

Both Twilight Son and Limato have run so well against last years Champion Muhaarar, and he would be odds on to win this if he were still in training.. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Henry Candy withdraw Twilight Son if the going quickens up too much and Limato has had a lot of support over the last few days so..
    changing my selection to LIMATO. :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    trying
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

The At The Races card for the race shows Sole Power as a Distance winner. I must have missed that one. I have trawled his win record on a few sites and not found a 6F win for him?

Hi Steve the atr site shows he ran the distance(11 times in fact)but has not won over it,that is why the ‘d’ is greyed out

Participant
    • Total Posts 53

Steve, he never won over 6, ran 12 times over 6, ATR site omits his run in the Hong Kong Sprint in 2014, which he ran in 4 times (2015,2014,2013,2011) and had his best placing of all his 12 6f runs, 2nd in the 2013 running.

Never take data from ATR site, some years back when building my own database, I came across serious errors, I emailed them and got a reply from their main IT guy, a really nice guy, who by his own admission hadn’t a clue about racing as such, just web design, but fair play to him would correct and sort out anything I would email him directly about. He left sadly and I just never bothered educating them with my time, when you emailed the studio about something dodgy in a race just run, they would blank you, but even now the site is riddled with errors and as for the new design!

They are brutal when it comes to going errors, especially Irish going, they get their feed from The Associated Press, who update UK going as it changes in their feed, but with Irish going it’s left at whatever the Going is at time of initial sending, say data/cards sent Monday (e.g. Tralee Good) for Wednesday racing, going changes to Heavy, AP refeed in any UK Going changes but leave Irish as Good on site for day, it may be corrected before archiving or not. Emailed AP and ATR about this multiple times, still awaiting replies. Now never even visit it.

There are no "Systems".

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hi Steve the atr site shows he ran the distance(11 times in fact)but has not won over it,that is why the ā€˜dā€™ is greyed out

Hi, thanks for that, I just assumed they wouldn’t have a “D” in the quick form symbol list unless they had won at the trip. I suppose it makes sense to alert punters that the horse has tried the trip but failed, rather than perhaps not being a distance winner but never having tried the trip.

I suppose in Sole Power’s case you could almost argue for a “D” followed by a Timeform squiggle and a government health warning:-

“Warning, backing this horse, at this distance can seriously damage your wealth”

Participant
    • Total Posts 13250

Looks a really difficult race, and nothing looks nailed on for a win. With that in mind
    I’d rather look for a bit of value, and I think that SUEDOIS is well
    worth considering at 20/1

He had a decent introduction, after coming over from France, at Doncaster in April, running
    on really stoutly for 2nd, but not getting to MOBSTA. That was a decent first run, and MOBSTA
    gave that form a boost when winning last time out in the Group 2 Greenlands Stakes at the Curragh
    in May.

He followed that up with a close 2nd behind MAGICAL MEMORY in the Duke of York Clipper Stakes
    at York. I think he went a tad early, and was collared in the last 150 yards to go down by 1/2
    length (TWILIGHT SON a further 4 lengths behind)

His last run, in the Group 1 Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Ascot, although he finished 5th I think
    it was a very good run. He was held up out the back this time, but when he did get a break he ran
    on well with no more than a 1/2 length between him and the winner TWIGHLIGHT SON in a bunch finish.
    He was also only a shd behind MAGICAL MEMORY. Both MAGICAL MEMORY and TWILIGHT SON are best priced
    11/2, whilst SUEDOIS is available at 20/1 with most bookmakers.

Admittedly he hasn’t run on firmer than good, but he didn’t give me the impression, when 2nd at York
    on good ground, that he wouldn’t cope with a touch firmer. I think he’s overpriced and represents
    decent value. I’m having some of that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

All over Twilight Son in this with the only slight negative maybe being where he’s drawn? Don’t see that much blistering early pace though so hopefully he can manoeuvre into a decent position…

I think he’s the best and most consistent performer over 6f in the field…his only 2 defeats bring behind Muhaarar the top sprinter of last year, where he was conceding race experience, and first time up this season where he was drawn away from the pace, first time out for the season when the yard were struggling badly and also having to concede 5lbs in weight to his rivals…

He improved to win last time and did what he does as in just finding enough at the business end…I think he’ll come on a fair bit for that run too and will just prove too strong again…

Will be 5-1 against Magical Memory and more excuses will be looked for…

• Total Posts 15015

As I said earlier on the thread, awful race for me, but took 20’s 5 places on Jungle Cat, be more than happy with first 5. To chase him home, I’ll go for Eastern Impact also 5 places 33’s.

GL

goreisking
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 192

Twilight Son – Cant win from that draw its an impossible task
    Magical Memory and Profitable – Definitely wont see the trip out 100%
    Limato – Will be on the snag for a long time, not sure he will 100% get home but he has a big chance. Again another bad draw in stall 16, in a sprint you cant be drawn in the furthest stalls, e.g. stall 1/2 or 15/16
    Quiet Reflection – Likely to get a good toe in, softer ground would of been better but I think she will be fine. The filly also gets a huge 9lbs dont forget, will she be strong enough in the finish?

Quiet reflection is the best bet and safest at 7/1

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Got to stick with my supplemented theory and go with Profitable and a small saver on Eastern Impact. Good luck all

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Backed Magical Memory, Twighlight Son and outsider Jungle Cat.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6317

Backed Magical memory Don’t Touch and Cotai Glory but this is tough!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1455

Profitable win at 12-1, and Waaady each way at 33-1 with 5 places

goreisking
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 192

Excellent result! Couldn’t of gone any better! 1st and near enough 2nd nearly hit the forecast! Limato is a machine on good to firm over 6. Hard to get him off the bridle! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Well done, Jac. Unusual to see a horse win such a quality sprint in that fashion. Mister Candy a sweet trainer of these types though has taken us for suckers a few times where the lolly has been done :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Impressive performance by Limato.
    Good to see one horse coming clear in a Group 1 sprint. :good:

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.