The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand Prix de Paris 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand Prix de Paris 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Fifteen horses remain at the first forfeit stage. Eight of them representing Aidan O’Brien.

Slightly disappointed by these entries. Both Lellouche and Fabre are here but not with Aizavoski or Cutlass Bay or Claremont. No English-trained Derby also-rans either.

Of the Coolmore cavalry, I think Age Of Aquarius is the key player, supported by Drumbeat and Hail Caesar w/ Crowfoot setting the tempo.

Alain de Royer-Dupre

Beheshtam
    Berouni

Aidan O’Brien

Age Of Aquarius
    Black Bear Island
    Crowfoot
    Drumbeat
    Freemantle
    Hail Caesar
    Johann Zoffany
    Liszt

Andre Fabre

Cavalryman
    Investissement

Elie Lellouche

Wajir

Freddy Head

Almail

Marco Botti

Fanunalter

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

take out AOB’s entries and the race has a very ordinary look to it.

Beheshtam and Wajir if you can forgive him his last run look best of the French. No Montmartre in the race this year.

The big question is which horse does AOB send over.

Age of Aquarius a we seen in the Derby is no great shakes and was beating very easily. 1m4f may be too short for him.

I much prefer tthe chances of Freemantle. He ran a cracker first time out and he’s beter than he showed in his last run.

But until AOB makes a decision it’s like peeing in the wind trying to work this race out. Last year he sent only one horse so I would expect 2 at most will trurn up

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

No Montmartre in the race this year.

That’s a very prejudiced statement Fist. You can say that when the race has been run, and if it’s warranted – but not now.

Montmartre’s form and figures prior to the GPdP were only fair. He was trounced in the Jockey-Club and the Prix du Lys was a tune-up against very modest gallopers.

Beheshtam ran a sound fourth in the Jockey-Club and a Listed win over the very smart Claremont, so I would rank him superior to Montmartre pre-GPdP.

It would take some performance to surpass Montmartre’s, but who knows? Did anyone expect such an impressive display last year?

pevaldo
    • Total Posts 4

Does anyone know if theres any antepost betting for this race as of yet?

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Beheshtam will sluice this, he is lightly raced, on the upgrade, will relish the step up in trip and let’s face it the O’Brien contingent is as usual large in numbers but all runners are pretty much exposed and simply lacking in quality. My idea of an Aga Khan Arc horse. The only thing left to ponder is what prices will be on offer here.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I suppose you could use the excuse that race was a bit on the short side for Beheshtam but on his 12f form he finished a close as you could expect.

I don’t think I am being prejudice at all saying there is no Montmartre among the French this year. If Beheshtam was that good he was in the ideal race, worth nearly 1 million, to prove it. 8 entries for a race they say is like our Derby is very poor

Anyway how can you say that when you said you were disappointed with the entry yourself.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Montmartre finished 24 lengths behind in last year’s French derby. Then a warmup race before this one. There was no way to know beforehand that he would win the way he did. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We’ll know after this race on Tuesday whether there is a horse of Montmartre’s quality or not. If there is it can only be Beheshtam.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Next forfeit stage was today. A further 5 removed.

Beheshtam
    Almail
    Cavalryman
    Freemantle
    Wajir
    Johann Zoffany
    Liszt
    Age of Aquarius
    Black Bear Island
    Hail Caesar

Sea The Stars aside, this is simply dire. I mean what is this field. Black Bear Island will win the Leger so this is just a stepping stone for him. Beheshtam is going to absolutely murder this lot.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Montmarte had genuine excuses of his flop at Chantilly, he was clearly upset and wound up due to the loudspeaker being way too loud and was beat before he got into the stalls.

Beheshtam I believe wont have the class to win the Arc, he might win this but he has shown to be nothing special to me and is so far the French equivalent of Rip Van Winkle.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Montmarte had genuine excuses of his flop at Chantilly, he was clearly upset and wound up due to the loudspeaker being way too loud and was beat before he got into the stalls.

Beheshtam I believe wont have the class to win the Arc, he might win this but he has shown to be nothing special to me and is so far the French equivalent of Rip Van Winkle.

Hmm, what specific reasoning are you using to come to that rather bizarre conclusion?

I said Arc horse not Arc winner

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

I was Hugely disappointed with Freemantle the last day….and not sure Age has enough Gears for a Group 1.

Looks like Dupre/Soullimon have it to lose

towerto
    • Total Posts 92

beheshtam will be clear favourite of the arc after tuesday permormance
    fame and glory isnt good enough
    beheshtam , conduit or casual conquest for the arc , the others arent good enough :twisted:

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I cant see how Fame And Glory isn’t good enough, bar his Derby 2nd he has easily defeated his opponents and ran a very credible race in The Derby in a race that didn’t suit, Beheshtam has to show what he is ccapable of because he seems a load of hype to me who has done nothing of note he has his chance on Tuesday.

Losing in a 1m2f race to even Westphalia, I can’t be to keen to be an Arc winner.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Eight declarations with Godolphin supplementing Derby Italiano winner Mastery.

Aidan O’Brien will run Black Bear Island, Hail Caesar, Freemantle and Age Of Aquarius – Johnny Murtagh rides the latter.

As Wallace mentioned, this really is Beheshtam’s race to lose, unless Cavalryman’s improved absolute truckloads.

A terrible advertisement for this race’s Derby status, let alone Group One status.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Next forfeit stage was today. A further 5 removed.

Beheshtam
    Almail
    Cavalryman
    Freemantle
    Wajir
    Johann Zoffany
    Liszt
    Age of Aquarius
    Black Bear Island
    Hail Caesar

Sea The Stars aside, this is simply dire. I mean what is this field. Black Bear Island will win the Leger so this is just a stepping stone for him. Beheshtam is going to absolutely murder this lot.

You’re serious as well aren’t you? :shock: I sincerly doubt if AOB has a horse capable of winning the St Leger among his entries and I would have thought BBI is the least likely of them to win.

SMS’s Harbinger is burning up the gallops and will be fav for the St Leger after his next race… mark my words. I would neither agree or disagree with you on Beheshtam as I think this is one bad race.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Beheshtam is a doubtful runner with the going.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I’ve went for Wajir at 14/1. He is very well bred, and won a group 2 here in his race before last in the Prix Hocquart. He didn’t give much of an account of himself in the Prix du Jockey Club, but i’m in a forgiving mood. And let’s face it, if the ground is fast Behestam and possibly Cavalryman might not run.

Wajir 1pt 14/1

Beheshtam 4pts 13/8 (just incase)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.