The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I don’t think even you could predict what AOB is going to be doing this weekend though oh Legendary One!!! I know you go on about John Gosden but really Aidan O’Brien’s behaviour is a sick joke. Are you REALLY telling me he still doesn’t know if his star filly is going to make the race? He does this ALL the time – fans, punters, pundits are left completely in the dark until the last possible moment. I miss old Henry – we always knew where his horses were going to run. There was none of this ludicrous “will he won’t he?” I hope he sends all his horses and they all get stuffed!!!

Sorry – needed to get that out of my system!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I don’t think even you could predict what AOB is going to be doing this weekend though oh Legendary One!!! I know you go on about John Gosden but really Aidan O’Brien’s behaviour is a sick joke. Are you REALLY telling me he still doesn’t know if his star filly is going to make the race? He does this ALL the time – fans, punters, pundits are left completely in the dark until the last possible moment. I miss old Henry – we always knew where his horses were going to run. There was none of this ludicrous “will he won’t he?” I hope he sends all his horses and they all get stuffed!!!

Sorry – needed to get that out of my system!

Fair comment Joni,Nobody wants to be sitting on double figure odds about a 3/1 fav for a Classic and still dont know if she’s going to run.I would be interested in what else sneaky old Aidens running in it.I smell another ‘Homecoming Queen’!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So I think I’ll take myself down to Ascot today for what looks a good card.

I have had three bets.

Gifted Master is very short but I was seriously impressed with him at Newmarket and I think he will win this er route to Royal Ascot.

Forever Now was reportedly quite immature last year but still ran some very good races and was 5th in the St Leger. He needed his first run this year and I think you will see a different horse today.

Johnny G could have a good day and I like his Tendu in the sprint. They have all got to beat Limato of course but I was a bit put off to read that he has not been working so well on the gallops and might need this. Tendu is an improving filly who ran very well behind 4 good fillies in the Cheveley Park. I think she is ew value. So:

£100 win Gifted Master – 5-4 – 2.20 Ascot loser
    £35ew Forever Now – 13-2 – 3.30 Ascot placed +£21.88
    £35ew Tendu – 7-1 – 4.05 Ascot +£14

+£394.58

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Gifted Master came under pressure disappointingly early Joni. That winner looked bound for better things though and I’d say that’s the best I’ve seen so far this season. Coventry material perhaps.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Couldn’t agree more Stevie. Gifted Master was a bit keen and ultimately very disappointing but the winner looks all class. It says everything that they started him off in this conditions event which looked a decent race, rather than in a maiden.

Elsewhere on the day I was really impressed with Sperry who is a big, rangy filly and should be up to group class. The Queen’s filly got first run on her but she picked up really well and won going away. I thought Mizzou looked a bit big in the paddock (shows what I know!) but even so I think he will improve a lot for that and has to come into the GC reckoning. I’d say the same of the runner up as well.

But the race of the day was obviously Limato v Tendu and I think they both have big futures this year. Limato is not very big but looked fit and won comfortably. He has to be fav for that new G1 sprint at RA and I think he’ll take some beating against his own age if not against his elders. I was equally impressed by Tendu. She was ridden like a good horse, settled in rear and asked to close just over 2 out. She was almost in a separate race to the winner as they were so far apart and she is probably in her box now thinking she won. She is definitely group class.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Couldn’t agree more Stevie. Gifted Master was a bit keen and ultimately very disappointing but the winner looks all class. It says everything that they started him off in this conditions event which looked a decent race, rather than in a maiden.

Elsewhere on the day I was really impressed with Sperry who is a big, rangy filly and should be up to group class. The Queen’s filly got first run on her but she picked up really well and won going away. I thought Mizzou looked a bit big in the paddock (shows what I know!) but even so I think he will improve a lot for that and has to come into the GC reckoning. I’d say the same of the runner up as well.

But the race of the day was obviously Limato v Tendu and I think they both have big futures this year. Limato is not very big but looked fit and won comfortably. He has to be fav for that new G1 sprint at RA and I think he’ll take some beating against his own age if not against his elders. I was equally impressed by Tendu. She was ridden like a good horse, settled in rear and asked to close just over 2 out. She was almost in a separate race to the winner as they were so far apart and she is probably in her box now thinking she won. She is definitely group class.

I was taken with Tendu’s effort Joni. She looks like a well made filly with scope. I had my eye on her first time out last year and was a bit disappointed by her but she was pretty green that day. She’s clearly come a fair way since then though and she seemed fairly confidently ridden by Frankie and didn’t quite find enough to seriously challenge the winner. For a second it almost looked like one of those races where something sneaks through on the opposite side of the track and “does” the front runner, who never saw it coming until too late but Limato looked good today and his light, flowing action saw him take it with a little bit to spare.

I’d probably be tempted to try 7f with Tendu but she can probably be competitive at 6f. I’ll be interested to see how she progresses compared to conqueror Tiggy Wiggy this season, as it’s a fascinating comparison of two young horses with different campaigns last year and different levels of scope for going forward at three years of age.

I think the Hannons are barking up the wrong tree with Twiggy in the 1000 Guineas but maybe they will prove that they know what she’s capable of. I am hoping Jellicle Ball can pull it off and reward a speculation at 40/1.

I haven’t seen Sperry yet, so I’ll check that out later. I haven’t been following Cumani much and the only one of his I fancied, Mount Logan, ran like a bag of rusty screw drivers. I’m not really too heavily into the races in excess of 1m 6f and normally end up scratching about for something to back in the Ascot Gold Cup.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Good luck with Jellicle Steve. I am hoping the rain stays away for Osaila. Stll guessing what Aiden is going to do….

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

On holiday in Weymouth this weekend so will keep it short. The 2,000 Guineas looks a tricky race to me with so much uncertainty regarding the two O’Brien horses. I have had each ways on two who tick many of the boxes in that they are race fit, have very good trainers, will like the ground and have good form in the book.

£50ew Estidkhaar – 15-2 loser
    £40ew Territories – 6-1 placed

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Great minds think alike Joni.
    Estidkhaar and Territories should be fav and 2nd fav in my opinion.

Happy holidays. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A top class performance by Gleneagles yesterday completely outclassing his field. Territories ran very well but not sure what happened to Eshdikaar who never travelled.

On to today and I think the Guineas looks wide open. Any horse could win it and it wouldn’t be a massive surprise. I am happy enough with Osaila who I think will finish in the first 3 and Terror could spring a surprise if she stays.

Elsewhere I have had 3 bets. In France I think Al Kazeem will take a lot of beating in the Ganay. He seems better than ever and his main rival, my dear old friend CDA, always needs his first run these days and is not quite the horse he was anyway. I think AK shuld be about 6-4 so the 9-4 is too tempting. I have heard good reports about Nigel of John Gosden’s and am annoyed for missing the 7-2 this morning. 11-4 will have to do. Finally I can’t let another good friend, Rizeena, start at 6-1 in a Group 2. I know she may need the run and Newmarket might not be her fav track but I still think she is too big for such a proven classy filly. I think she is an ew steel but I have also backed Fintry to win and done the forecast as I think Fintry could be a big improver this year and you have to back Andre Fabre horses in England.

£100 win Nigel 11-4 – 3.50 Salisbury loser
    £100 win Al Kazeem – 9-4 – 3.10 Longchamp loser
    £35ew Rizeena – 6-1 – 2.25 Newmarket loser
    £80 win Fintry – 15-8 – 2.25 Newmarket loser
    £15 rev f/c Fintry/Rizeena loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well I haven’t really been looking forward to writing this post! A disastrous couple of days for me at Newmarket has put me well into the red. Disappointing but these things happen and I ‘ll look to start turning things around this week at Chester. I believe that every race you lose is an opportunity to win next time if you heed the lessons from it and so I hope some good will come out of those two Guineas for me. There is no doubt in my mind that the two winners are proper Group 1 horses and I doubt I’ll be opposing either of them. The 1,000 showed how fraught AP betting can be though – I mean where did this Legatissimo come from?!!! As much as I think she will win the Oaks I got my fingers badly burned in the AP market for the Guineas so will keep a watching brief for now and hope she goes off at a backable price. Lucida will win Group 1 races this year and Tiggy Wiggy will be tough to beat back at 6f. There were also plenty to take out of the 2,000 with Ivawood and Celestial Path particularly catching my eye.

I will also be keeping a look out for Telescope (sorry!). He shouldn’t have got beat on Saturday and it was only tiredness that saw him get run out of it. I think he will win Group 1 races over 10.12f this year.

So disappointment but not despair and onwards and upwards as they say!

-£585.42

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Well I haven’t really been looking forward to writing this post! A disastrous couple of days for me at Newmarket has put me well into the red. Disappointing but these things happen and I ‘ll look to start turning things around this week at Chester. I believe that every race you lose is an opportunity to win next time if you heed the lessons from it and so I hope some good will come out of those two Guineas for me. There is no doubt in my mind that the two winners are proper Group 1 horses and I doubt I’ll be opposing either of them. The 1,000 showed how fraught AP betting can be though – I mean where did this Legatissimo come from?!!! As much as I think she will win the Oaks I got my fingers badly burned in the AP market for the Guineas so will keep a watching brief for now and hope she goes off at a backable price. Lucida will win Group 1 races this year and Tiggy Wiggy will be tough to beat back at 6f. There were also plenty to take out of the 2,000 with Ivawood and Celestial Path particularly catching my eye.

I will also be keeping a look out for Telescope (sorry!). He shouldn’t have got beat on Saturday and it was only tiredness that saw him get run out of it. I think he will win Group 1 races over 10.12f this year.

So disappointment but not despair and onwards and upwards as they say!

-£585.42

The 1000 G was a major disappointment for me as well Joni, just a poor third from 4 runners at huge prices, ranging from 66/1 to 20/1

My heart sank for you when I saw you picking Rizeena. Clive hasn’t had a winner this year and wasn’t so much on the Cold Trainers list as the F***ing Freezing list.

It’s been a tough start so far and I am having the knack of finding the trainer’s runners who are stinking the place out as the others from the yard are landing prizes at the smaller races I haven’t looked at.

I’m not sure this Chester meeting is going to throw up much for the Classics but am hoping to see one or two of mine enhance their prospects over the next ten days or so.

Good luck this week.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Stevie – yes it’s always wise to tread carefully at the start of the year but one can’t help getting excited after a long winter! Agreed it’s unlikely we’ll see a classic winner this week but I think there may be value to be found in the Cheshire Oaks tomorrow. I liked the way Banzari shaped last year, plugging on in the May Hill and then blitzing a maiden by 10 lengths on soft ground at the back end. Michael Bell is IN form and I liked the way his filly Touchline ran first time out last week. I am hoping she will at least run into a place as she is all about stamina and will love the conditions.

£35 ew Banzari – 8-1 – Chester 2.40 loser

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Well I haven’t really been looking forward to writing this post! A disastrous couple of days for me at Newmarket has put me well into the red.

Fear not Joni for you have the mentality to change things.I know that feeling too,its almost like a Girlfriend ditching you,your confidence takes a kicking and you even dread logging on.I contributed for 5 yrs my thoughts on Ante-Post betting and when things go well you just love doing it.I have been lucky that over those years I was untouchable as the King of foresight but in that time I was wrong very ocassionally too.Of course you are too much of a Gent to get abuse whereas I got some right stick for it,deservedly of course.I have said for several years now that the flat is tougher to succeed at than the jumps and this season could be just the same.I was one of those who thought Lucida was a good thing for the 1000 gns and one who should really have snaffled the 10’s on Gleneagles,those decisions hurt but thats part and parcel of this game and you know it too.Like I said if you take stock and re-focus you will deliver.Remember when one of my threads was £10k down and I returned a £10k profit? Thats what makes legends and if there’s anyone else capable of toughing it out its you pal…TAPK mounts his shiny steed and roars off into the sunset!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks for the encouragement my lord. I know I am merely the Baldrick to your Blackadder, the Les Dennis to your Dustin Gee, the Wise to your Morecombe but it still feels good to get praise from a true legend.

Are you going to Newbury on Saturday week?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Thanks for the encouragement my lord. I know I am merely the Baldrick to your Blackadder, the Les Dennis to your Dustin Gee, the Wise to your Morecombe but it still feels good to get praise from a true legend.

Are you going to Newbury on Saturday week?

You forgot “the Jerry Stevens to your Lennie Bennett” in that run through Joni.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A couple of bets in the Chester Cup. Two in form trainers with horses at decent prices:

£25ew Zafayan – 8-1 placed
    £20ew Famous Kid – 25-1 loser

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.