The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

Joni..Nathan Just told me on the compy thread you were keen on Western Reserve as he is my Nap.
    I was lucky enough to visit Warren Place last month, a couple of days after Western Reserve won at Chelmsford on 12th May.
    They had him outside in a fenced enclosure to stretch his legs and he looked magnificent a real black beauty and full of himself. I made a note to back him next time he ran which is tomorrow, so good luck with your bet.

Don’t forget to watch Sir Henry and Frankel on Ch. 4 tomorrow night 7.00pm.
    Jac
    :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Hi Jac! He ran really well didn’t he? Just beaten by a better handicapped horse. I would be interested to hear what you gleaned from your visit. Do they have a decent string this year? Do they have Frankel’s 2 year old brother? Hard to get any info about them these days.

I keep hitting the crossbar at the moment but hopefully my luck will change next week at Royal Ascot. I have kept the faith with SDS today and a couple of his have been well backed so:

£25ew Top Notch Tonto – 9-1 3.10 York – winner
    £15ew Rousayan – 7-1 – 4.20 York – loser
    £40 win Miniaturist – 11-4 – 4.55 York – loser
    £25ew Mon Brav – 8-1 – 5.30 York – placed
    £2ew Lucky 31 – all SDS rides at York today – -£54

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Karinga Bay
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

Good start Joni! :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks KB – he should have won the last as well but gave him too much to do. Still, a profitable day and onwards and upwards for next week.

-£617.32

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

Well done with your winners today Joni especially my old fav..Top Notch Tonto. :good:
    I thought Western Reserve had got the race when he struck for home but when you take into consideration his first run on turf, getting a bit hot before the race and the fact he was racing two grades higher he is definitely on the up, he’s a lovely horse.

Didn’t glean too much information from my visit Joni as there was so much to take in..I should have asked more questions. I can tell you that Lightning Moon trained by Ed Walker (who shares part of the yard and training facilities) is currently occupying Frankel’s old box, so Godolphin have already moved into Warren Place by the back door. ;) Let’s hope some of the luck rubs off on that one at Royal Ascot this week.

No sign of Frankel’s 2yo brother and he wasn’t mentioned, maybe they’re keeping him at Banstead Manor with Kind and Frankel, he seems to be under the radar at the moment, he must be worth a small fortune himself for not even going near a racecourse!!

Mighty Yar was there and recovering from a minor setback, he’ll be back later in the year. It was just surreal to be there and seeing the beautiful roses that Sir Henry loved and standing in his favourite spot at the top of Warren Hill you could really feel his presence. :rose:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks for that Jac. Fingers crossed Sheikh Mo will steer clear.

I have had a couple of bets in the Prix Diane. The fav looks different class and should win despite her draw but I am also giving Star Of Seville another chance at the prices. She looked amazing in the paddock at Epsom and wasn’t given a hard race after being hampered. I think this is her trip as well.

£100 win Queen’s Jewel – 7-4 Prix Diane loser
    £20ew Star Of Seville – 16-1 Prix Diane winner

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Great selection Joni.
    Good luck for Ascot mate…. :good:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Nath! Good luck to you too mate! Yes Frankie single-handedly won me that bet. That was a genius ride from that wide draw and the race played right into her hands. She had looked magnificent in the paddock before the Oaks but didn’t enjoy herself at all that day. As one of the commentators on Racing UK said, JG wouldn’t have sent her all that way if he didn’t think she has recovered well from Epsom and 10f is certainly her best trip. A nice way to start the week!

-£317.32

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Thanks for that Jac. Fingers crossed Sheikh Mo will steer clear.

I have had a couple of bets in the Prix Diane. The fav looks different class and should win despite her draw but I am also giving Star Of Seville another chance at the prices. She looked amazing in the paddock at Epsom and wasn’t given a hard race after being hampered. I think this is her trip as well.

£100 win Queen’s Jewel – 7-4 Prix Diane loser
    £20ew Star Of Seville – 16-1 Prix Diane winner

Oh No,No.No,No,You know what I’m going to say! If you want this thread to return to profit you need to bet to as close to level stakes as possible.A great e/w selection,she should never have been a 16/1 shot but you should have capitalised on that price with a £50 e/w bet.Remember our ‘Noble Mission’ discussion?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

Well done Joni with Star of Seville, what a great price.
    All money in for pot Royal Ascot and hope you can spin a profit on 5 glorious days racing.
    …Jac :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Jac and also Gord for your advice! Stay brave. Not easy when you are having a tough year but you are right.

I have had a little ew on Hugo Palmer’s in the last. He is no world beater but might just be well-handicapped on handicap debut and is a nice price.

£15 ew Persiflage – 14-1 Windsor 8.50 loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So it all starts tomorrow and what a week in prospect. This is what racing is all about – high quality fields from all over the world and I will be there tomorrow. I really can’t wait!!! I have loads of bets lined up for the week and will kick off with 4 tomorrow.

I have been mulling over the Queen Anne for a couple of weeks and I think it is the race of the meeting. Able Friend looks awesome in Hong Kong but he is an enormous horse who will find this track and these conditions vastly different from anything he has faced before. If he wins then good luck to him but it is taking far too much on trust for me. Toormore and NOT represent solid Group 1 form over course and distance and it wouldn’t surprise me if they both go close. I am looking for reasons to see why Toormore would reverse form with NOT and I can’t really find any. NOT improved a lot for his first run last year whereas Toormore regressed and I think NOT was idling a bit in the Lockinge. My worry with both of them is that they are good but not great and I think it will take a great horse to win tomorrow. I think NOT might well finish second but I am getting more and more confident about Solow as the race approaches. I think this horse is of the highest quality, my only worry has been is the 1m his optimum trip? Well it may not be but this is Ascot and the mile at Ascot is probably not dissimilar to 9f at most other tracks and there is enough pace in the race through Glory Awaits and possibly Toormore to ensure that his stamina as well as his searing turn of foot will come into it. He is a confident selection.

For the Coventry I am going to wait until I see the horses in the paddock. I really like Jim Bolgers horse and think he could even be a Guineas contender but he is very short in the market so I would rather have a peek at them first. However I have had a small ew on Ed Dunlop’s Qeyaahdah at 25-1. I LOVED the way this one travelled at Newbury and he won very cosily. He obviously has to step up a lot on that but he is an attractive price.

I hate myself for doing it but I am opposing Sole Power in the Kings Stand. I just think that this Muthmir is on the upgrade and, knowing that Hughesie will leave it late, I am thinking he might have too much to do to catch this young upstart. It is one of those races that I wouldn’t actually mind losing as it will be a remarkable training performance to get SP to win for a 3rd time but I think he will fall short tomorrow.

Finally I feel I have to take on Gleneagles in the SJP. He was quite brilliant at Newmarket but much less so in sticky conditions at the Curragh. He did so well to win that race but I wonder if it took a fair bit out of him. I know he will have his ground again tomorrow but it certainly appeared to me that he had a hard race the last time. In Make Believe he has a serious adversary. I watched the video of his French 2,000 Guineas win tonight and he seemed to do it very easily from the front. With no pacemaker for Gleneagles he may just get his own way again and I think they may struggle to go past him. If Gleneagles is back to his best he will win but I do think there is a question mark there. There is also Consort to consider but his price really does not appeal to me. He is all about what he MIGHT do rather than what he HAS done and, like Crystal Zveda in the Oaks, his price is purely down to the fact he is trained by the master Sir Michael. He could be a superstar but he will need to be to beat 2 Guineas winners. Make Believe is trained by another master and it is highly significant to me that he has been supplemented for this. I also think he is a very decent price.

£200 win Solow – 6-4 – Queen Anne winner
    £25ew Qeyaadhah – 25-1 – Coventry loser
    £50ew Muthmir – 11-2 – Kings Stand placed
    £100 win Make Believe – 7-2 – St James Palace loser
    £2 win Lucky 15 the above PLUS Round Two (£30 stake)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Perfect start but I was stuck in hideous London traffic so missed the bloody race!!!! Here now and like the look of Round Two so have had small win bet.

£50 win Round Two – 9-4 Coventry loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A good start to the week with a nice winner in Solow. I have just watched the replay and he was superb as they didn’t really go fast enough for him. Can you believe though – he was the one horse I wanted to watch today and I had to listen to it on the M4!!! You can imagine my language – Royal Ascot is not cheap!!!

I have never seen more disappointed connections than the Bolgers after the Coventry. Something was surely amiss – they looked like there had been a death in the family. The winner was very impressive I thought. Gleneagles was AWESOME. It will be some race of he takes on Solow in the Sussex.

On to tomorrow. I am leaving the Jersey alone as I think Ivawood will win but don’t like the price. With AOB’s horses running so well SIN could run well but he has so much to find on form I couldn’t back him and look myself in the mirror. Another who might run well at a price is the filly Devonshire.

I have been a big fan of Besharah since she won her maiden at Ascot for me at 14-1 and I see no reason to desert her tomorrow. If Stevie Caution is reading this – I’ll be thinking of you mate! He likes this filly a lot and backed her at bigger prices than I’ll be getting.

I have been waiting for Euro Charlene to run all season and she goes in the Duke Of Cambridge. Obviously she has Integral to beat but she will have the run of things from the front and I am hoping Frankie can continue his brilliant form of late. I really rate this filly and she will love the ground.

I am all over Ectot tomorrow and am expecting big things from him this year. No horse has impressed me as much as this one in the last few years and I am hoping he settles well tomorrow. If he does I think he’ll be very hard to beat as he is quick and has a killer turn of foot. I already have £75ew at 9’s.

Finally I have backed two in the Sandringham. As a fan of Sperry I have to back Touchline who ran her close first time out and has a light weight. I also think Osaila’s Guineas run was all wrong and she is the class filly in the race and gets her ground. She is also a big price.

£50ew Besharah – 11-2 – Queen Mary placed SP 6’s
    £50ew Euro Charlene – 6-1 – Duke Of Cambridge withdrawn
    £35ew Touchline – 7-1 – Sandringham placed
    £35ew Osaila – 14-1 – Sandringham winner
    £2ew Lucky 15 the above plus Ectot (£120 stake) +£56.25

-£258.45

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Back in the black thanks to a lovely 14-1 winner in the last. I was working so have only just caught up. In summary – glad I avoided The Jersey! Thought Besharah raced on the wrong side and would have finished 2nd otherwise. Euro Charlene is a monkey, my GingerTipster friend Mark is a bona-fide GENIUS!!!!! Ectot – all those people who thought it was easy to train a horse like Frankel need only look at a horse like Ectot. He has all the talent in the world but he will not fulfil any of it until he learns to settle. If he was mine he would be gelded. The winner did well off his first run of the season and TGG bounced right back. Osaila was way way overpriced and Touchline would have got closer with a half-decent start.

I’ll be back later with tomorrows bets.

£315.93

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So a couple of bets lined up for tomorrow. Me and Nath were very impressed by Time Test at Newbury. He looked like a Group horse in waiting that day and I think he will win tomorrow. He is no great price but I have taken the 5-2 still offered by PP. I guess Nath you are torn as you are a big fan of Peacock and of course that one has to be the main danger.

The Ribblesdale is all about the Bolger horse but with doubts over the stamina I am happy to take her on with Curvy who has done nothing but improve and who probably had her form franked at Epsom by GC.

I was at Ascot earlier this year to see Mizzou beat Vent De Force. I remember thinking in the paddock that Cumani’s horse really looked like he would need the run and there was no way he would win. I was wrong of course and I have been looking forward to seeing him run again as he is unexposed, loves the ground and handles the track. The only question is whether he stays. Obviously the fav is the one they have to beat but there are definite question marks over the ground with a hot day forecast for tomorrow likely to cancel out the watering tonight. I also like Tac De Boistron but again the ground has gone against him.

I have then gone for two in the lucky last. I liked the way Scottish shaped last time out and think he is a decent price. I also like Space Age who was very unlucky in Time Test’s race and will appreciate the conditions and the step up in trip.

With Aiden’s string in such sparkling form I have also done a cheeky ew Lucky 31 to cover all of them.

£100 win Time Test – 5-2 – Tercentenary Stakes winner
    £35ew Curvy – 7–1 – Ribblesdale winner
    £50ew Mizzou – 5-1 – Gold Cup loser
    £35ew Space Age – 12-1 – King George V Stakes winner
    £35ew Scottish – 10-1 – King George V Stakes placed
    £1ew Lucky 15 the above (£60) +£562.72
    £1ew Lucky 31 all of AOB’s runners tomorrow (£62) +£390.07

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Hi Joni, nicely done today. An interesting point you make about Pleascach’s stamina. She looked to be crying out for this trip when winning over a stiff 10f at Naas but that was of course before winning a Guineas. I think she’ll get it no problem myself, would love to see her go for the Irish Derby, all going well tomorrow.

Think she’s the pick (along with stablemate Lucida) of what look a decent bunch of filles, and have also backed Bocca Bociata whose form is tied in with the Bolger filly. These two along with Forgotten Rules my bets for tomorrow, good luck.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.