The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 346 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well done Joni, another winner in what has been an excellent thread. Will you be getting involved in the jumps this season?

Thanks THM – she is a really classy filly and I thought she had everything in her favour today. As soon as JTJ went and made it a true test there was only going to be one winner.

I will certainly be contributing to threads but won’t have my own one. As much as I love the jumps I am just not knowledgeable enough.

Total £2,652.55

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

You must have great will power: at the end of the flat season every year I say "that’s my last time betting on the flat season" then when Punchestown ends I think what the **** else am I going to do for the summer :lol: I’m determined that this is the year I learn though :?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

You must have great will power: at the end of the flat season every year I say "that’s my last time betting on the flat season" then when Punchestown ends I think what the **** else am I going to do for the summer :lol: I’m determined that this is the year I learn though :?

Oh I’ll be betting THM!!! Just not posting them – probably following the likes of you, Ginge and Gord.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hi Stevie! I am well thanks – have been busy this week so missed your post. It was a taking debut though wasn’t this it? Plenty of races in him I reckon.

I listened to the race on William Hill radio. Their paddock expert said Touch The Sky was small and lacked scope. He went on to say that none of the newcomers looked that great and he gave the winner as his each-way selection based on the lack of enthusiasm about the well bred debutantes. Touch The Sky was slowly away and come under pressure about half way but seemed to do his best work late on, as did the Godolphin horse. I am sure that, in time, both horses will leave their debut form well behind.

I will probably give the flat a miss at this stage of the season and dream about Toormore and Tapestry for next year and the Guineas.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A huge weekend and some brilliant racing in France.

I have had three bets this morning:

The ground may have gone too soft for The Fugue but Johnny G could still have a good weekend and the ease will certainly be helpful to

Gregorian

. I think he is a major player at this level and should be ridden prominently in what could be a messy race for hold up horses.

I am hopeful that the easier surface and drop in grade will bring about an improvement in

Riposte

. We have heard all year how well she works and she looked very good when winning the Ribblesdale. Everything happened too quickly for her at York and I have a feeling you will see a better horse today.

Finally another old favourite in

Noble Mission

who is a huge price. He is ultra consistent and, whilst he doesn’t win many races, he is rarely out of the frame. I think there are major questions about the front two in the market. Dear old Cirrus is not the horse he was and Planteur has never really done it for me. A one length win against Al Waab last time surely doesn’t justify odds of 9-2. This trip and ground will be perfect for NM who should get a decent tow into the race from the front running CDA.

£35ew Gregorian – 6-1 – Longchamp 2.08

£35ew Riposte – 6-1 – Longchamp – 2.40

£50ew Noble Mission – 12-1 – Longchamp 3.15

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Disappointing but I hope James Doyle learns from his tactics today in time for Al Kazeem tomorrow. He gave those horses plenty to do. Still I was delighted to see CDA back to his best. What an amazing horse!

Total £2,412.55

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Onwards and upwards after yesterday and a fantastic field for the Arc has me licking my lips.

To be honest there are probably 8 likely winners so picking the right one isn’t easy but there are two that I like in particular. I was seriously impressed with

Treve

in her trial and I think she could be an exceptional filly. Obviously the draw could have been kinder but I can see her flying up the outside off the back of a strong pace.

I also like

Intello

and think he has a massive chance if he can stay. I have liked this horse ever since he won at Newmarket and he is undoubtedly the speediest horse in the race having finished within a length or two of Moonlight Cloud. He travels really well and I expect him to be the last off the bridle – it will then just depend how he gets home.

Orfevre is a worthy fav but this is a better race than last year. Leading Light owes me nothing after the Leger but this race is an afterthought and those sort of horses don’t win this race. I didn’t rate the Kizuna race which rules out all those horses including Gord’s fancy who would surely want better ground. I also love Al Kazeem but his draw is a massive disadvantage.

All in all a race to savour and I hope Intello wins as it would also give me an outside chance of winning the TTTF.

Elsewhere on the card I have had two other bets.

Viztoria

has to beat the mighty Moonlight Cloud but she has her conditions finally and is very fresh. I expect her to go close.

When

Secret Gesture

won the Lingfield Oaks by 10 lengths I thought she looked a machine on that ground. She gets it again today so I think she looks value.

£50ew Intello – 11-1 – Arc

£75 win Treve – 5-1 – Arc

£25ew Secret Gesture – 11-2 – Prix De L’Opera

£35ew Viztoria – 8-1 – Prix De La Foret

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Great win for Treve and super run from Intello. That has to rank as one of the best performances in recent years. A lot of people crabbed her form lto as she "only" beat Wild Coco. But I knew how highly the Cecil horse was rated on that soft ground and Treve gave her a 10l head start and a thrashing! I just wish they hadn’t retired WC so soon. There were Group 1’s in her.

Total £2,755.05

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Get on this

Demonic

at Nottingham tomorrow. The money is coming already and I think he may be a shoe-in off a mark of 85.

£100 win – Demonic – 3-1 – Nottingham 4.30

Total £2,655.05

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

Get on this

Demonic

at Nottingham tomorrow. The money is coming already and I think he may be a shoe-in off a mark of 85.

Ran very green again Joni I know it was only his 3rd race but he was all over the place in running. Think JD is suffering from TQ’s missing the break itis!

I see Demonic is listed for sale at the H-I-T Tattersalls sales later this month along with the likes of Continuum, Venue, Autun, Disclaimer and the rogue! World Domination. I worry for Lady C as 2 or 3 of those horses have the potential to win races next year for her. I’d have hoped that Juddmonte might have kept a few horses with her. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Get on this

Demonic

Ran very green again Joni I know it was only his 3rd race but he was all over the place in running. Think JD is suffering from TQ’s missing the break itis!

I see Demonic is listed for sale at the H-I-T Tattersalls sales later this month along with the likes of Continuum, Venue, Autun, Disclaimer and the rogue! World Domination. I worry for Lady C as 2 or 3 of those horses have the potential to win races next year for her. I’d have hoped that Juddmonte might have kept a few horses with her. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come.

I read that he met trouble and that his tongue lolled out – he had worn a tongue tie the previous times.

I think I am right in saying that the list of horses being sold is often changed if the horse finds form. I would be surprised if they sold Venue. Saying that I share your concern about next season. Losing Mike Marshall is a huge blow and I hope they announce a replacement soon. There is an interview with her in the Racing Post on Sunday that could be an interesting read.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

There is nothing more annoying that when a horse you have followed all year wins without you knowing it was even running. So it happened yesterday when Cape Peron bolted up in a listed race at Chantilly. I have been waiting months to back this horse on soft ground and he showed how good he was yesterday. They allowed him to go off at nearly 5-1. And I missed him. Livid.

Only a couple of weeks left and I have a nice profit but I am not playing safe and in fact I am having 5 bets today.

I have backed

Great White Eagle

for the Guineas and expect him to beat this lot easily.

I will not desert

Tiger Cliff

in the big one.

Premio Loco

is far too big a price and could run into a place.

Lockwood

ran really well lto and I think this is an easier race.

Flow

should have won last time and runs off the same mark today.

£100 win Great White Eagle – 5-2 – Middle Park

£35ew Tiger Cliff – 10-1 – Caesarawitch

£25ew Premio Loco – 18-1 – Newmarket 5.25

£50ew Lockwood – 9-2 – Newmarket 2.05

£50ew Flow – 7-2 – York 5.10

Total £2,327.55

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

There is nothing more annoying that when a horse you have followed all year wins without you knowing it was even running. So it happened yesterday when Cape Peron bolted up in a listed race at Chantilly. I have been waiting months to back this horse on soft ground and he showed how good he was yesterday. They allowed him to go off at nearly 5-1. And I missed him. Livid.

Only a couple of weeks left and I have a nice profit but I am not playing safe and in fact I am having 5 bets today.

I have backed

Great White Eagle

for the Guineas and expect him to beat this lot easily.

I will not desert

Tiger Cliff

in the big one.

Premio Loco

is far too big a price and could run into a place.

Lockwood

ran really well lto and I think this is an easier race.

Flow

should have won last time and runs off the same mark today.

£100 win Great White Eagle – 5-2 – Middle Park
    £35ew Tiger Cliff – 10-1 – Caesarawitch
    £25ew Premio Loco – 18-1 – Newmarket 5.25
    £50ew Lockwood – 9-2 – Newmarket 2.05
    £50ew Flow – 7-2 – York 5.10

Don’t think the Tiger stayed joni

Flow run well but the 16/1 stable mate beats him. Lady C has learned well from Sir H it would seem :wink:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

One of those days BM! By the time it got to Flow’s race I was almost certain something like that would happen!

Very disappointing but some funny results this time of year and horses often lose their form. That was certainly the case for Lockwood and GWE and Premio Loco was just a hunch. Did the Tiger not stay or was he brought into the race far too early? He hit the front 3 out and it is a long way home from there. I am not saying he would have won but I do thing TQ has lost a lot of confidence since losing the KA horses.

Still I aim to go out with a bang at Champions Day next week and have a couple of confident selections lined up although much will depend on the weather!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well I’m a long way behind the Ginge but I am belatedly following him in on

CDA

for the Champion. It has been bucketing it down all day here in West London and I can only see the ground being on the soft side next Saturday. As Ginge says, if that is the case, who else is going to run? Trading Leather won’t, Dec of War, won’t, Toronado, Sky Lantern, The Fugue won’t. Will they run Farrh on soft ground over 10f or would they rather go for the QEII? I know which one I’d choose. The only complication is they have DA already. Even so CDA looks a good thing and I’ll take the 2-1 even though I am kicking myself that I didn’t take the bigger prices earlier in the week.

Today I have had just the one small bet but I likes the way

Squire Osbaldeston

won his maiden and expect him to go well today.

£50 win Squire Osbaldeston – 3-1 – non runner 5.15 Goodwood

£500 win Cirrus Des Aigles – 2-1 – Champion Stakes

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

Did the Tiger not stay or was he brought into the race far too early? He hit the front 3 out and it is a long way home from there. I am not saying he would have won but I do thing TQ has lost a lot of confidence since losing the KA horses.

You might have a point there joni about TQ maybe hitting the front too soon on the Tiger. I wonder about TQ’s long term future with Lady C. Even taking out the KA horses situation Lady C has not been afraid to put other jocks up on her horses which certainly isn’t how Sir H liked to do things. Maybe it’s other owners having less confidence in TQ as well….

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So a fantastic days racing in prospect but some tricky looking fields and making money won’t be easy.

I expect the fav to win the first. Sh is ultra solid in my book – course form, acts on the going and campaigned with this race in mind since the Gold Cup by a master trainer.

I have no idea about the sprint but Maarek is clearly in great form and I have always liked Viztoria. Is she going to be quick enough though?

I would love to see Hot Snap win the fillies and mares and I do think she has been crying out for this trip but will she handle the ground? I also like Waila. I think the fav had a hard race in the Leger and could be vulnerable.

I’ll be cheering on DA in his last race but think he could be vulnerable on this ground to the mud loving Maxios.

I am all over CDA in the big one. He has his conditions and looked like he was back to his best lto. The danger is another favourite of mine Farhh who goes very well fresh and seemed better than ever in the Lockinge. I have done a forecast with the fav.

£50 win Estimate – 9-4 – Ascot 1.45

£25 REV F/C CDA and Farhh – Ascot Champion Stakes

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 346 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.