The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 346 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So it’s been a good couple of days for the thread and more importantly for Lady Cecil. You probably won’t be surprised to hear that tomorrow is about one horse for me and that is

Hot Snap

. She was touted by the master trainer long before the season started and showed what all the fuss was about by winning the Nell Gwyn despite being green as grass. She then flopped in the Guineas running unaccountably poorly and the horse she beat easily in the Nell Gwyn won the blasted thing.

Now we have to ask EITHER what went wrong that day and is she over it? OR was the Nell Gwyn a fluke? Well given Sir Henry’s opinion of her I would say it was certainly no fluke so it must surely be the former. Nothing particular has come to light from that day apart from the ground being a bit quick and that she was not herself before the race. She has been given lots of time to get over that day and the ground is still just about good enough for her to take her chance but can she beat two classic winning fillies as well as two of my favourites from this year? Sajhaa won twice for me in Meydan and Integral is a filly with a huge future. In short it looks a fantastic race and not one I will be chucking lots of money at. My heart would love to see Hot Snap win but my head tells me it might be tough. I see she is attracting lots of support tonight though so I will have a little each way just for fun.

Elsewhere I think Lady Cecil can have a very good day with the likes of Court Pastoral, Autun and Spiritoftomintoul all having good chances but my other bet for tomorrow will probably have anyone reading this scratching their heads as I am going to back that useless old nag

World Domination

again! His form since the Dante has been appalling but why do they keep this horse in training? His work is always good but somehow he isn’t able to produce that on the track. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day, perhaps it won’t but at 16-1 I am prepared to find out.

£25ew Hot Snap – 7-1 – Goodwood 3.15
    £25ew World Domination – 16-1 – Doncaster 4.10

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

softie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 199

Nicely done Joni, hopefully Lady Cecil will continue pretty much in the same vein as Sir Henry had things and the status quo is maintained. Looking that way at present.

Best of luck today.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Nicely done Joni, hopefully Lady Cecil will continue pretty much in the same vein as Sir Henry had things and the status quo is maintained. Looking that way at present.

Best of luck today.

Thanks Softie! I was buoyed to see they had 7mm of rain overnight which has eased the ground to good. Should be right up HS’s street as well as suiting Just The Judge. The best fillies race of the season anyway. May the best girl win!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

softie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 199

Have to say that i am being torn 3 ways here Joni., big fan of both HS and JTJ, having followed them from early days, but i also have a soft spot for Integral who i first saw on debut at Goodwood, beating a good one of Henry`s Magic Of Reality in the process, then backed her at Sandown . where she looked oh so impressive, so would be no great surprise to me if she stepped up here either.

I feel a dutch bet coming on here as my loyalties are too divided.

Will be a cracking race though, looking forward to it.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I’m the same Softie. I like Hot Snap, Just The Judge, Sajhhaa, Integral AND Winsili! Have backed them all this year. You can’t back them all though (unless your Ginge of course :lol: ) so will sit back and enjoy with just a small interest in HS and JTJ.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A really messy race but delighted to see one of my old fav’s Winsili win. I always rated this filly and backed her both times this year. She didn’t stay in the Ribblesdale but has shown herself a top filly here. So why didn’t I back her!!! :evil:

Hot Snap ran a very promising race as TQ allowed her to be shuffled back at a vital time at the top of the straight without which I am sure she would have been there or thereabouts. One to look for next time though as she proved her Guineas running was not right.

The fav was clearly very unlucky but I am not so sure she was staying on anyway. Back to a mile for her surely.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£25ew Hot Snap – 7-1 – Goodwood 3.15

£25ew World Domination – 16-1 – Doncaster 4.10

Total – £2,347.54

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Check out Great White Eagle today at Naas. Very impressive. I have taken 20’s about next year’s 2,000 Guineas.

£50ew – Great White Eagle – 20-1 – 2014 2,000 Guineas

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Check out Great White Eagle today at Naas. Very impressive. I have taken 20’s about next year’s 2,000 Guineas.

Oh dear I’m afraid your King does not approve! First and Foremost he’s an

Elusive Quality

colt and that Sire does not throw Classic winners,he’s related to

Ravens Pass

and

Ghurair

but thankfully not trained by John Gosden who just cant get one ready for a Guineas,

Elusive Kate

springs to mind there too! He’s quite a rounded action which wont suit Newmarket on Guineas day and he lacks scope,I thought he looked a bit close coupled for my liking.Time will tell and Good Luck though,I respect anyone with the foresight to put one up 9 months prior to the race! :wink:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Oh dear I’m afraid your King does not approve! First and Foremost he’s an

Elusive Quality

colt and that Sire does not throw Classic winners,he’s related to

Ravens Pass

and

Ghurair

but thankfully not trained by John Gosden who just cant get one ready for a Guineas,

Elusive Kate

springs to mind there too! He’s quite a rounded action which wont suit Newmarket on Guineas day and he lacks scope,I thought he looked a bit close coupled for my liking.Time will tell and Good Luck though,I respect anyone with the foresight to put one up 9 months prior to the race! :wink:

Well for the last two years we have fundamentally disagreed on our 2 year olds so why should this year be any different?! So far it is 1-1 as you were right about DA but very badly wrong about the other one whose name I can’t quite recall. :)

Take it from me my Great White Hope has speed to burn and oozes class. He made those previous winners look very ordinary and a debut in August suggests he has taken a while to come to hand and can only improve. He ran to 3 figures on his first start which takes some doing. Even that horse I can’t remember didn’t manage that!

A long way to go but 20-1 won’t last much longer.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So I write to you as the proud father of a little boy born yesterday morning after three days of hell for my poor wife! 9lbs 7oz is a helluva lump to push out but she did it and we couldn’t be happier!

Racing has obviously taken a back seat but there are a couple of races this weekend that I will be looking forward to. The Jaques Le Marios looks a cracker tomorrow, I hope to see CDA resume winning ways today and there is also the next big thing running at Haydock. Apart from that non-event at Ascot, plenty to look forward to.

I want to take on Telescope. I fully appreciate he won his last start by 24 lengths and works like a champion but I think he is up against a smart rival today in

Noble Mission

who looks a big price at 7-1 in what is otherwise a very winnable race. I really think it is too early to be proclaiming Telescope as the next Frankel after just that one eyecatching performance against two very mediocre horses. If he wins by 10 lengths today then fine but until he does I remain doubtful. Noble Mission is very quirky and difficult to win with BUT he does always runs his race and he will certainly give the fav a race and a good benchmark as to how good he actually is. A nice each way bet in other words.

£50ew Noble Mission – 7-1 – Haydock 2.55

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Congratulations Joni.

What did you name him. Frank el Bake?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks guys – we haven’t got a name yet. We were so exhausted last night we couldn’t agree on one!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Congratulations to you and your wife Joni. Our son weighed in at 9lb 14oz and had to be delivered using forceps, so my wife can sympathise with yours. Good luck and health to all.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Congratulations to you and your wife Joni. Our son weighed in at 9lb 14oz and had to be delivered using forceps, so my wife can sympathise with yours. Good luck and health to all.

It was the same with us Steve – the dreaded Kiwi Ventouse – ouch! Not as painful as watching Homeric win unbacked though!!! :oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Congratulations Joni and Family,great news but you will have your work cut out again,particularly at your age!! :lol: :lol: I hope you did one of

our

horses today,you know which one! :wink: Thinking about it ‘Homer’ Simpson, ‘Homeric Bake’…….Got a ring to it methinks! Have a glass of Champers for me when you and the Missus do wet the babies head……………1/5 says he’s called Frank El Bake mind! :lol:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Cheers Gord. Must admit that thought went through my mind at 4.30am on Friday morning as the wife screamed and moaned in agony – "jeez I am too old for this". The hard work starts now though after the twins this should be a breeze!

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 346 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.