The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jonathan Neesom spot on

Home Forums Horse Racing Jonathan Neesom spot on

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

The best pundit on racing by a mile says as it should be said regarding Harchibald. He would like to see it ridden as if it is a Champion Hurdle winner in waiting.

Carberry riding a cocky, show off, quiet ride and being out gunned by a proper jockey on the run-in is not a good advert for racing.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

Also stated there should be an inquiry into the improved run of Honours Dream

Which was also spot on imo

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I think it is more of a case of Harchibald being one of those horses who doesn’t find much off the bridle. Carberry is a brilliant jockey in my opinion, and his tender handling and softly, softly approach with Harchibald is what the horse requires.

I recall backing Harchibald in the Champion hurdle a couple of years ago when he came to the last cruising, only to be out battled by Hardy Eustace.

Put simply, Harchibald doesn’t like to scrap and he and the Cheltenham hill are unhappy bedfellows.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Couldn’t agree more.

Harchibald has enormous talent, he just won’t stretch or fight, that’s all.
    He usually gets to the front by virtue of his jumping, then you can see him start to look around.

If a casual observer watched the CH in which he was runner-up to Hardy, (05?) they’d probably think the fix was in……..

I do enjoy watching him though, Carberry has an awfully difficult job trying to kid him into winning…….sometimes it works, sometimes not :roll:

I couldn’t have him carrying any of my money.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

The best pundit on racing by a mile says as it should be said regarding Harchibald. He would like to see it ridden as if it is a Champion Hurdle winner in waiting.

Carberry riding a cocky, show off, quiet ride and being out gunned by a proper jockey on the run-in is not a good advert for racing.

Are you/Neesom suggesting that Carbery is being cockey on Harchibald?

JohnJ.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Yes JohnJ, I think he is cocky when riding the horse and lots of others.

I know Harchibald is not straightforward but the exaggerated waiting riding style of Carberry looks stupid when it does not succeed. Swap the jockeys at Kempton and the result would have been different. McCoy is a winner and Carberry is a cocky show off.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5687

I can’t say I’m a fan of Paul Carberry, but on Harchibald he’s in an impossible position. Here’s a horse which would be best suited by being held up behind a group of horses to challenge very late, yet running in the sort of race where that simply doesn’t happen.
    In the Christmas Hurdle Harchibald was too good for all bar Straw Bear and hence was left clear with that horse. McCoy saw an obvious opportunity and exploited it, but I couldn’t see that there was much else for Carberry to do.
    Yes, ‘McCoy is a winner’, but as a winner he’s light years ahead of most jockeys anyway, winning races that others wouldn’t get anywhere near.

Rob

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Wallace, I couldn’t disagree more with you and Neesom. What are you suggesting Carberry should do? Has Neesom suggested an alternative method of riding Harchibald? Do you remember the Emo Oil Champion Hurdle of 2005, the race directly after the CH were Hardy Eustace beat Harchibald first time round? Below are the comments in running: –

Harchibald
    held up in touch, improved into 3rd 4 out, close up travelling best from 2 out, led last, soon ridden, headed close home

I remember this race distinctly, Carberry got slated for the ride he gave Harchibald in his previous race in the CH. He decided a change of tactics for this race and produced Harchibald over the last hurdle and still got beaten. So again, how do you think Harchibald should be ridden? I am puzzled you think this is spot on from Neesom, because I think he is talking rubbish.

JohnJ

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Neesom suggested the horse should have been sent on at the second last flight rather than coasting. I am fully aware Harcibald is not an easy ride but my point is Carberry does this kind of thing on genuine horses and if they make a mistake at the last they often cannot recover and lose a race they should have won.

Look back at the Kia Kaha/Roman Villa race at Cheltenham. Carberry was doing his usual stalking ride, sitting doing nothing approaching the last. The horse makes a small mistake, Carberry drops his whip and McCoy wins a race he should not have won. If I owned Roman Villa PC would never sit on my horse again.

Some people think Carberry is some kind of god but he is not in the same league as McCoy, Johnston or Dobbin. Three jockeys more concerned about winning than being cocky.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Sorry, I am confused, was Neesom commenting on Roman Villa or Harchibald?

JohnJ.

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 442

Wallace…they’ve tried to ride Harchibald from the front and it doesn’t work.
    The horse just travels and does nothing else. McCoy rode a great race on Straw Bear last weekend…he allowed Harchibald a lead going over the last. The result was inevitable afterwards.

I’d counter your argument by suggesting that Carberry is the best jock for this horse…and his success to date is down to Carberry rather than in-spite of him.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’d be prepared to sit on the fence somewhat on this one. Carberry quite clearly is full of self confidence and gets off on winning races on the bridle by short margins. However he is clearly one of the best riders when he’s motivated, see rides like Frenchman’s Creek at Cheltenham about 6 years ago.

I didn’t think it was a good ride at Kempton, but I thought he got there too soon rather than asking for it’s effort too late. I’ll be surprised if the horse is out of the first 3 in the Champion Hurdle but equally, I’ll also be a bit surprised if at least one is too difficult for him to get past. It won’t be Katchit or Straw Bear though.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Yes if anything Carberry came too soon at Kempton. In my opinion Carberry is riding better than ever at the moment. I don’t think McCoy would suit Harchibald.

Not sure how you make Dobin and Johnson better than Carberry.

I presume you think Champion jockey Spencer is just like Carberry, cocky

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Neesom was commenting on Harchibald but Roman Villa was another example of a woeful Carberry ride.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Wallace did you lose money on Roman Villa by any chance?

JohnJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.