The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jon of Gaunt stakes 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Jon of Gaunt stakes 2024

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

“Mike, Witch Hunter needed two runs to get him fit for the Lockinge.”

Hannon said this before his run in the Haydock race… “He’s improved a lot for his Sandown run and comes into this with plenty in his favour.”

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

He improved again from Haydock to the Lockinge

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

The Lockinge was a funny race. I don’t completely trust the form.
    Not saying Witch Hunter can’t win tomorrow its just not a done deal imo back a furlong from the Lockinge on good to firm.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1929

Pogo will defo go for the lead but I can’t recall ever seeing him going hell for leather setting it up for closers, just lacks a class edge at times. Point Lynas is a curveball, he could be the one to tear it up as a miler dropping to 7f, alternatively they may ponder changing tactics but the former option is what I expect.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Noble Dynasty a non runner.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Brilliant, now lumbered with around a 25p deduction in what was a tight race, and remains a tight race. Not sure what ground they wanted, or expected. It’s form is on good/firm and good.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

“Who are you expecting to pull out? Both Pogo and Point Lynas are better on better ground”.

Any of the front runners, including Notable Dynasty.

It’s not the ground that would make front runners come out, it’s the number of front runners that means they have less chance of winning.

Value Is Everything
    ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3467

Pogo @13/2 e/w now that ND is a non runner, very happy with that price, id have him about 7/2 on his last run here

If theres no more pull put id be surprised of by the time of the off the market hasnt completely changed with pogo the outright fav

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Its a bit of blow a pace angle getting taken out
    My horses will get hit with a rule 4 and probably go off bigger prices than what I have taken… :wacko:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Ginger, thanks for confirming after the horse had already been taken out. The reason on the BHA update is ‘going’. I haven’t noticed anything being pulled for ‘too many front runners’ before.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Do you believe everything trainers say, Stilvi?
    Connections are not going to say “our horse needs to lead and therefore we are taking him out”.
    I said a front runner or two may well come out and one has, it’s not aftertiming.

On good-firm Notable Dynasty won a handicap at Newmarket in July 2022, which was a better performance than anything he’d done prior to that… And yet he’s been taken out due to it being similar going tomorrow… And that is even with some rain forecast.

Value Is Everything
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Noble Dynasty taken out because of ground sounds about right. He missed 2023 and Appleby said after his last win that he ‘likes to get his toe in so was pleased the rain came.’ The rain forecast today isn’t very much, a bit of drizzle 6am – 8am.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Ginge are you saying that Appleby is conning people into thinking Noble Dynasty doesn’t like good to firm

Participant
    • Total Posts 1442

I’ll stick with Bless Him in this at 20-1 ew 4 plcs

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Single figure draw has been key the last ten years so jumping off Point Lynas to Ramazan not a low single figure draw but Fahey is in form.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Certainly don’t buy everything trainers say, particularly when drawn high at Chester, but ‘too many front runners’ when you are a well supported favourite, no.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

“Ginge are you saying that Appleby is conning people into thinking Noble Dynasty doesn’t like good to firm”

The problem trainers have is by saying “we need to lead” is tipping off rival connections how to get your horse beaten. Especially when it’s a Group race where there’s a chance it might one day run in a Group 1. The opposition just has to put a pacemaker in the race and you’re XXXXXX!

It is possible Notable Dynasty has had leg problems since that win on good-firm. Been lightly raced of late, with 50+ days between all his last 4 starts. So although the horse may well “act” on the surface, it may put more stress on the leg. If that is the case with ND I can understand them pulling out. More of a chance of injury… But again, “I’m frightened of the horse getting an injury on that ground” is not something trainers come out with for a reason not to run.

I just think it’s more likely to be the fact there’s so many front runners, or it contributed significantly to being a non-runner.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.