Johny G. Not Impressed.

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2015 Johny G. Not Impressed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 182

I read today that after the Hardwicke, John Gosden was very critical of Adam Kirby’s ride on Postponed.
    He said that a jockey is employed to ride his own horse and ‘spent the entire race riding ours’ or words to that effect in an article on the ATR website Ascot section.
    It probably did not cost Eagle Top the race but it certainly kept the horse’s attention off a race and trying to avoid being constantly hassled by Kirby.
    I’d love to have heard the post race exchanges in the weighing room after and I don’t think we’ll be seeing Kirby getting legged up by Mr Gosden any time soon.
    It rather reminded me of Bowlby doing the same to Scudamore on Carvill’s Hill in the Gold Cup years ago.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

If you write a post on here today, suggest you “copy” it before posting. Wrote a long post only for “Error” to come up.

value is everything
    Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 182

Saw the ATR post Ascot show today with Jim Mcgrath (Aus.) with Sean Boyce and another racing journalist who spoke about this so I looked on the ATR website referring to Snow Sky’s win on their homepage.
    I posted this thinking it would be a topic of interest and apologise if I am not competent enough to ‘copy’ and that you found an error.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Not what I meant at all Blue, nothing to do with you.
    Wrote a long reply only for the site/server to crash and lost it when trying to post. Had I “copied” it first could have just brought it back and post it again. As it was lost the lot.

value is everything
    Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 182

I understand now Ginge and it seems there was a lot of trouble with the site yesterday as it took me many attempts to get on when the ‘HRTL not found’ kept appearing.
    That article with Gosden’s comments is on the ATR Royal Ascot 15 Microsite front page of their website if anyone is interested.

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Think Gosden needs to take his blinkers off. Dettori was purposely trying to keep Postponed from getting any cover, he could easily have tucked in a bit tighter to the rail but seeing Postponed racing keenly with no cover and little option of dropping back to get cover, he held his line 2 off the rail and kept him exposed. Maybe Dettori was hoping he would bite the bullet and push the horse up and put some pressure on the pace, if not he would keep him racing keenly outside of the field with little cover.

Kirby does not come across as the sort of person who would race with intentions suggested, I would pin Dettori as a more likely candidate to employ racing tactics at the detriment of others.

All that said, that is racing, tactics play a big part and with huge sums of money involved and competitive professionals as they are having to make decisions in the moment, you win some lose some. Someone hand Mr Gosden a hanky and tell him to get on with it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Think Gosden needs to take his blinkers off. Dettori was purposely trying to keep Postponed from getting any cover, he could easily have tucked in a bit tighter to the rail but seeing Postponed racing keenly with no cover and little option of dropping back to get cover, he held his line 2 off the rail and kept him exposed. Maybe Dettori was hoping he would bite the bullet and push the horse up and put some pressure on the pace, if not he would keep him racing keenly outside of the field with little cover.

Kirby does not come across as the sort of person who would race with intentions suggested, I would pin Dettori as a more likely candidate to employ racing tactics at the detriment of others.

All that said, that is racing, tactics play a big part and with huge sums of money involved and competitive professionals as they are having to make decisions in the moment, you win some lose some. Some hand Mr Gosden a hanky and tell him to get on with it.

Exactly tb, I backed Postponed (main bet) and Eagle Top (saver) and was not pleased when both went for the same position. But can understand why. Dettori wanted to keep Kirby out wide, in a position where Postponed might be too free. Kirby wanting cover for the same reason. Added to that, Dettori did not want to be right on the inner, because that would compromise his own chance if (as expected) Telescope went for home and Snow Sky went backwards… As it was, the opposite happened and both Dettori and Kirby needed to manoever around Telescope. Just a case of race riding.

value is everything
    Lingfield1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32

Cumani similarly not impressed by Dettori’s tactics against his horse. Kirby is not the neatest rider but to me it was just race riding. We saw Dettori do Spencer (The Great Gatsby) no favours and Soumillon trying to keep Moore in. It is Ascot and everything is trying.

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 182

We saw Dettori do Spencer (The Great Gatsby) no favours

Last night on ATR at Leicester, Spencer was interviewed about The Great Gadsby and laughed when he said ‘the Italian got payback for me by Kirby’, never seen Jamie so happy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.