The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Johnny Murtagh – Fame & Glory Ride Curragh 11-04-2010

Home Forums Horse Racing Johnny Murtagh – Fame & Glory Ride Curragh 11-04-2010

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Tracey Collins, Q&A anyone?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Why would she, apparently we are irrelevant :x

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think she really needs to take a long hard look.

To call punters irrelevant is like Gordon Brown calling the taxpayer irrelevant. Without punters there would be no horse racing, she and her staff would not have jobs.

As a trainer she is right to have her horses best interest at heart and her responsibility is to the horse and its connections but irrelevant, no thats just plain rude…

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Speaking strictly as someone who was watching the racing from behind a glass screen today (I’m in the loony bin, you know), I felt on two occasions today Johnny Murtagh completely failed to put two very short-priced Ballydoyle horses in the race.

The first occasion was on Mikhail Glinka. The second, and much more blatantly so, was September Morn. Possibly the former is debatable given the slightly quirky nature of the horse but I felt the ride on the latter was abysmal and unexceptable.

It also has to be mentioned that in both races the apparent stable second string and front-runner finished ahead of the Murtagh-ridden runners.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Joncol,

Have you stats to back that comment up, that it happens in Irish racing more so than the UK? Arcano ran in a Group 3 yesterday, and his trainer stated he would need the run, nobody here making a song and dance about it though! In relation to crowds being down I would suggest that the economic climate is more of a factor, rather than a trust issue.

Zarkava,

The Ballysax was a very messy race, I don’t think you can blame Murtagh for the ride, my view on the Sept Morn was that horse didn’t pick up in the straight and needs further.

JohnJ

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It could also be argues that he stood up and stopped riding yesterday at Naas when finishing fourth on Walk On Bye, they said yesterday on ATR that the filly got squeezed for room, not a chance she did, I seen the head on, there was plenty of room, Johnny just stopped riding simple as that. The distance to 3rd was a short head, not sure why he stopped riding, but if you backed his mount for a place then you must of been fuming.

Not my place to say why he stopped riding but just more reason why you should avoid himself and O Brien this time of year…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

John,

No I dont have facts regarding my opinion, then again it is an opinion rather than a factual statement I am making.

I would guess however that due to the 126 posts related to this topic that my opinion might be shared by others, than again I maybe wrong.

I also think you would do well to re read this topic in full. The whole argument at the start over Johnny Murtaghs riding is that people were complaining over the fact that Aiden O Brien failed to inform people that he felt he would need the run. Had he of made a comment similar to that of Arcano’s trainer yesterday this topic would not even exsist. I suspect you have not read the topic in full.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

John, you must have been watching a different September Morn to me. I thought he showed a great turn of foot from a long way back and could easily have been beaten by 2 necks had Murtagh not stopped riding 50 yards from the line. He was motoring home.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

wallace-no7
    11 Apr 2010, 20:46
    by wallace-no7 on 11 Apr 2010, 20:46
    If AOB has said before the race

"He will really need this to get sharp and could blow up"

Why not say this if it is clear Johnny was given instructions not to even touch the horse with the whip.

John please note a comment made at the start of this post. The whole point is people were annoyed Aiden didnt advise punters before the race.

Your point that nobody made a song and dance about Arcano is irrelevant to this issue as you have stated the trainer pointed out he would need the run.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Joncol,

Exactly, its your opinion that Irish racing is a little more bent than UK racing, opinion thats all. I presume you won’t be having a bet on your namesake at Punchestown this week.

It has been mentioned in this thread that F&G should not have run in the listed race as he wasn’t quite fit, I am just responding to these views, nobody seems to have batted an eyelid about the fitness of Arcano yesterday.

Zarkava,

I will look at the race again tomorrow, I didn’t think he was, he seems like a proper 12f horse being a half brother to Purple Moon.

JohnJ.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

John with respect I did not use that word.

For the record I dont bet on horses, wrongly or rightly, I dont think its an easy sport to win at, as there is so much doubt surrounding efforts of runners, i.e are they being prepped for an alternative target, they are entitled to do that but when you put all these things into the equation I feel there are easier sports to make money on with less variables to consider…

Your point regarding Arcano is irrelevant to this issue. The trainer advised the public of his thoughts prior to the race, Aiden O Brien did not and that cheesed a lot of people off. Its not my place to say Aiden O Brien should inform the racing punters/public of this but the fact remains he did not, Arcanos trainer did, therefore your point is lost.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Well lets hope no punters backed Arcano yesterday, I actually think some bookies refused to take bets on the horse as they knew he couldn’t win.

JohnJ.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well if anyone did then really they only have themselves to blame. What more do they want, the trainer was decent enough to tell you that his horse would need the run, although it could be argued the best thing to do is watch racing on mute, a lot of pro punters actually advise not to listen to connections and base your selections purely on form.

Anyone who listened to Henderson/McManus regarding Binocular surely could not have backed the horse and then he goes and wins like that. At the end of the day they are horses and horses can do strange things. Perhaps best only to listen to your own thoughts on no one eles. As a betting proposition there are just too many factors and variables in the sport which you have to consider, you dont get as many in other sports and therefore easier money to be made elsewhere..

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think the most obvious and glaring point staring us all in the face here is that if you are going to back an O Brien horse this season then do so in a race that you know is its number one target for the year, otherwise you might end up angry….

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I would say …Don’t back Ballydoyle horses until after the first classics.Since I have to believe nobody at Ballydoyle is backing them I wonder why they are starting at odds on?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Something for 5/2 backers on St Nicholas Abbey to ponder on.

If St Nicholas Abbey turns up as fit as Mastercraftsman did last year He loses!

Crap. Mastercraftsman, good horse that he was, is not in the same league as St Nicholas Abbey

Halfway! :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Reet dont put yourself in the "Numpty" class!This "Boat" as you put it won the Irish Derby in a faster time than The Minstrel, El Gran Senor, Generous, Sinndar and would just about have Dead heated with his father Montjeu,the horse is class,in fact i shall go as far to say he would be my King George pick at this moment in time!I"ll get 12/1 now! :wink:

Reet! :wink:

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.