The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Johnny Murtagh – Fame & Glory Ride Curragh 11-04-2010

Home Forums Horse Racing Johnny Murtagh – Fame & Glory Ride Curragh 11-04-2010

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1511

His website and his interview with David Duggan on ATR today.

David Duggan asked him about F+G and he said "we hope for a nice run"

Here are his thoughts on todays runner

http://www.aidanobrien.ie/news.html

This new open up is welcome by all i must say.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Aidens comments after the race

"I wouldn’t be disappointed with that, We needed to start him off and it was very tough going out there on very holding ground. He just got tired," O’Brien said.

Nothing wrong with that, the horse got tired and holding ground and Johnny didnt want to ask him too much with the Ganay just three weeks away.

"We hope for a nice run" To me, and just my view, "A nice run" indicates prep for future plans. "A nice" run is almost like Rooney having "A nice run out" to get fit…

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

I don’t dispute the fact that it was a prep run. As I said it wasn’t a matter of money for me, I assumed that it was a prep and watched.
    As David says it shows a lack of respect to racing but I’d also add to its supporters. If it was genuinely trying then the jockey would have encouraged it unless he felt it was injured. To me it was a non tryer. Because it’s Ballydoyle (or any other of the ‘top’ yards, let’s not pretend that this was an isolated incident) it’s a prep, for other stables it’s a non tryer.
    We accept it because we know it happens and that a horse having a third run is getting a mark. If you’re one of the public going racing once or twice a year and you see this then what impression does it leave?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thats a fair point regarding because they are a big stable they get away with it. Unfortuantely you are right there, but its like anything in life, unfortunately money and power talks. Life aint fair…. this goes for sport too.

Look how much power Ferguson has, how he can talk about referees and get away with it. Managers in other clubs would be fined, he is at it all the time.

Sorry about all the comparisons to football but I just want to get the point across that its not just horse racing where power influences the authorities, its in every sport. Horses racing is no worse or better than any other. Just a fact of life..

• Total Posts 629

He will prob win the

Sorry to quote you Wal – but isn’t that the point – back him when there’s money & prestige up for offer?! :?

It’s when it counts that the money should go down – otherwise back the short priced odds on shot in the bandit race @ Southwell!

You don’t suppose that it might be too soft in France too?!

"Now listen", If he wins that fair play…but you’ll get a better price come then for sure! :lol:

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Joncol, that is a very good analogy.

• Total Posts 185

O’brien managed to get another favourite beat in the last race.

His second string ran well enough at fourth favourite first time out though. :roll:

They are all at it. Same excuses year after year run after run. If you cant handle it then don’t play.

Racing for change., LOL. You would not be able to trust them to change the Bog Roll.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

I can handle it but it doesn’t make it right. As I wrote I was thinking more of the occasional racegoer. You’re right the whole Racing for change concept is a joke, addressing the wrong issues altogether.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Johnny Murtagh gave the horse every chance, was he not in front hitting the final furlong?

The horse was rightly turned over by horses running towards the finish quicker, if he smacked F&G i seriously doubt he would of beat the winner inside the final furlong, did he really think he had to get that serious considering how he was running in the first mile

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Something for 5/2 backers on St Nicholas Abbey to ponder on.

If St Nicholas Abbey turns up as fit as Mastercraftsman did last year He loses!

Crap. Mastercraftsman, good horse that he was, is not in the same league as St Nicholas Abbey

• Total Posts 1511

I just wished Johnny had been a bit more animated. Maybe gave him a little tap with the whip.

I hate see horses eased up before the line such as today.

Christy Roche got a non-trier ban and 2k fine for a horse running like that a few weeks. I bet he is looking at Aidan and wondering how come JP can’t get those bans overturned like Coolmore.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Something for 5/2 backers on St Nicholas Abbey to ponder on.

If St Nicholas Abbey turns up as fit as Mastercraftsman did last year He loses!

Crap. Mastercraftsman, good horse that he was, is not in the same league as St Nicholas Abbey

Mastercraftsman had won 2 Group 1"s at the same point of their careers Halfway.St Nicholas has won 1. I sense you may have backed him for the Guineas and Derby! :lol: Shame Workforce will do you both times! :wink:

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Johnny Murtagh gave the horse every chance, was he not in front hitting the final furlong?

The horse was rightly turned over by horses running towards the finish quicker, if he smacked F&G i seriously doubt he would of beat the winner inside the final furlong, did he really think he had to get that serious considering how he was running in the first mile

Racing Post results comment
    "soon mid-division, progress to track leaders and pushed along from 2f out, chased leader over 1f out, closed and kept on same pace inside final furlong".

The horse was never in front. Two out he was 2nd behind Popmurphy then was passed by the winner and stayed on. like the report says he was closing at the end.

• Total Posts 2390

….the whole Racing for change concept is a joke, addressing the wrong issues altogether.

What issue would you like ‘Racing For Change’ to address regarding an O’Brien horse running at the Curragh?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Same thing happened with previous Irish Derby winner Frozen Fire in a 3 horse race last year. So i can’t imagine anyone who watches racing often being suprised.

The hoo-ha over Murtaghs ride then filled up HYS the next day.

Also got to agree with TAPK, i’d be surprised if the ballydoyle string are race fit on guineas day.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

By the way nobody is questioning wether this is wrong or right, we all know its wrong to use the course to prep their horses for the future but its just a fact of life. Trainers do this from time to time and it does benefit their horses long term….

You just have to know which horses to avoid, and Aiden O Brien on so many occasions has always informed the public that his horses will more than likely need the run.

I dont see why people are having a go

Maybe it’s the fact that it’s against the rules?
    There’s no excuse for not running a horse on its merits, no matter how widely it’s broadcast beforehand, and FAG clearly wasn’t encouraged to show his merit today.
    Just because the authorities turn a blind eye to it (Much the same as they have to Venetia Williams telling all and sundry that she used the Gold Cup as a prep race for Mon Mome), it doesn’t make it honest or legal.
    The irony is that, had it been British and someone passed on information about it, the full force of the BHA’s wrath would have been wheeled out against them. :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Oh come on!

A horse should be doing his best. His best at that time. O’Brien (as is often the case at this time of year) is in crap form. Think he’s only had one or two wins this season. That info is out there for all to see. Fame And Glory was never going to run "to form". The only thing that counts is whether he was given the opportunity to win. And in my opinion he was. There is absolutely nothing in the rules to say a horse must be 100% fit, or hit with the whip. There’s no point in hitting him, because he was never going to make up that much ground in the final furlong. Might’ve been a bit closer, that’s all.

There is nothing wrong with not being 100% fit, as long as he’s trying to win the race. This was not a non-trier. What possible reason is there for connections not to want F&G to win?

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.