The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Johnny Murtagh – Fame & Glory Ride Curragh 11-04-2010

Home Forums Horse Racing Johnny Murtagh – Fame & Glory Ride Curragh 11-04-2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

Don’t know if many of you were watching the Alleged Stakes race today. Very frustrating to see the ride Johnny Murtagh gave Fame & Glory. Hands & heels for the last 100 yards when he looked like he held every chance. He clearly wasn’t going to go hard on the horse in the finish. Why oh why can’t Aidan O’Brien come out before the race and say that we are just getting a run into the horse and this race isn’t the target and if he is first three he’ll be happy. Instead he goes off 2/5 and is eased home and the bookies are quids in. It seems to me you are better laying O’Brien’s horses all year long apart from Group 1 contests.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Don’t know if many of you were watching the Alleged Stakes race today. Very frustrating to see the ride Johnny Murtagh gave Fame & Glory. Hands & heels for the last 100 yards when he looked like he held every chance. He clearly wasn’t going to go hard on the horse in the finish. Why oh why can’t Aidan O’Brien come out before the race and say that we are just getting a run into the horse and this race isn’t the target and if he is first three he’ll be happy. Instead he goes off 2/5 and is eased home and the bookies are quids in. It seems to me you are better laying O’Brien’s horses all year long apart from Group 1 contests.

With all due respect, Aidens horses always run like this at the beginning of every Irish flat season and it is down to you to make the judgement on how long that run goes on for.

Normally they are back in full flow around the time of the Guineas and the Derrinstown.

Fame & Glory was out of contention for the win by the time Murtagh stopped working.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Why oh why can’t Aidan O’Brien come out before the race and say that we are just getting a run into the horse and this race isn’t the target

Did you really need to be told that this race wasn’t his target?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

There aren’t many no brainers in racing, but surely not backing a Ballydoyle Group 1 horse in a Listed race in early April at 2/5 is one of them.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Doesn’t make it right though. I would not have taken those odds but if a horse is running it should be given every opportunity to win or do its best.
    If that was a Wigham, S. Williams or Curley horse there would be hell on.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If that was a Wigham, S. Williams or Curley horse there would be hell on.

I think 3/4 of punters have given up trying to air their opinions regarding the above mentioned as the BHA just dont want to listen, its easier to just to avoid their mounts at all costs.

I cant really comment further on whats been said but regarding your comment on saying "it doesnt make it right", Johnny Murtagh most definatley could have put more work into the finish but he gave the horse every opportunity to win its race untill finishing tired in last 250 yards. This horse would of probally got up hands n heels on faster ground.

Also would like to mention, Your not going to beat up a £1.5m winning horse for €27,625. I think Aiden O’Brien would be embarassed to have F&G tuned up for such a race as its something the smaller yards can really have a go at

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Surely its a golden rule not to back an O Brien horse first time out at this time of year.

Regardless of this Aidens responsibility is to the owners to ensure he gets the best out of their horse and campaigns it how he sees fit. It is not Aidens responsibility to look after punters.

Why would Johnny be hard on his horse to win a small race like this and perhaps interupt his schedule for much bigger prizes.

Surely anyone who watches racing knows that Aiden uses these prep races as exactly that, prep races…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

By the way nobody is questioning wether this is wrong or right, we all know its wrong to use the course to prep their horses for the future but its just a fact of life. Trainers do this from time to time and it does benefit their horses long term….

You just have to know which horses to avoid, and Aiden O Brien on so many occasions has always informed the public that his horses will more than likely need the run.

I dont see why people are having a go

• Total Posts 1511

Its looked shocking visually and i not going to lie i thought it was a disgrace. No whip not even pushing it out to the line.

I would never back AOB this early in the season. I don’t mind when they take it easy on the 2yr olds but Fame and Glory is a very good horse.

AOB/JM have no responsibility to Punters as such as the horse was given a chance to win but please please stop this none effort in the final furlong. It gives the sport a very dark cloud.

I just hope Johnny realises that the eyes are on him with his lack of effort. The stewards have to start taking a stand with all Trainers as its simply non effort in F+G case.

• Total Posts 629

Is there a chance that he could be over rated?

When you look at the form from last year (the classic crop) – non of it was well represented at Santa Anita in the Breeders’ Cup.

I asked before – but surely not all of those 3yr olds that had interlinked form ran below their worth in the states?

It’s true they had all been on the go a long time…but look at what’s come from there (US horses) and run in Dubai.

Golden Sword also – followed he & Sea…and came up short against two (Spanish & Dar) with fairly close/locked form.

Today I thought that the cut in the ground would suit…he’s not meant to like jar…

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I think it shows a huge lack of respect for Irish racing and the people that support it when O’Brien fails to get a horse like Fame And Glory into sufficiently capable physical shape to win a listed race. Bigger targets or not it was a poor show.

That said, it’s something we’ve become accustomed to seeing with them over the last few seasons. Magna Cum Laude, Psalm, Golden Sword to name just 3 in recent years, even the Dewhurst for Rip Van Winkle and The Guineas last year for both Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman were ridden with an eye to the whole season rather than one big day.

Something for 5/2 backers on St Nicholas Abbey to ponder on.

• Total Posts 4293

Use your brain bhigg.

Why is the Group 1 Fame & Glory running in a Listed race?

It is because it needs the run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

It doesn"t matter what way you look at it,Fame and Glory was given a poor ride today! Irrelevant of "He needed it" "Aidans always come on for their first run" "This wasn"t the target"! The horse is head and shoulders above the opposition and he should have won like a 2/5 shot even accounting for being 80% fit! Very Poor show!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Something for 5/2 backers on St Nicholas Abbey to ponder on.

If St Nicholas Abbey turns up as fit as Mastercraftsman did last year He loses!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Its not good to see but punters need to accept responsibility, if they back an O Brien horse this time of year they must be prepared to accept instances like this have, do and will happen…

Betting these days is not about just reading the form, you also have to take into account trainer proilfe and history in race.

As mentioned already we have seen numerous instances where Aiden’s horses have been ridden with the future in mind at this time of year, BUT have went onto reap the rewards later on.

Regarding stewarding of it, I dont think it will ever change, best just to accept it and move on and be wary of O Brien runners this time of year..

• Total Posts 1511

If AOB has said before the race

"He will really need this to get sharp and could blow up"

Why not say this if it is clear Johnny was given instructions not to even touch the horse with the whip.

He will prob win the Group 1 Ganay in a few weeks and we will all look back and laugh at this thread.

But you simply can’t do this time and time again early season and expect us to laugh it off.

I know he is dealing in the most stressful job in racing to produce Stallion after Stallion from massive outlays but a bit of "word play" wouldn’t go astray

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Perhaps he was not approached by any of the racing publications regarding his thoughts on the race????????

Are you asking him to purposely contact ATR and advise them how he feels he will run?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.