The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John McCririck

Home Forums Horse Racing John McCririck

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I thought Regal Flush wants a drop back to 2m myself. Badly hampered by the fading Le Miracle early in the straight. If McCririck wanted to criticise a jockey in the race, he should have had a go at Ryan Moore or whoever decided it would be a good idea to give Allegretto so much to do. It was clear with half a mile to run she had no chance from where she was.

bucketnut
    • Total Posts 63

Didn’t see the ride so no comment on that one. However, big Macs credibility as a race analyst should be taken with a pinch of salt. It could also be argued however he’s raised the profile of racing more than anyone in the history of the sport. Also, IMHO, he the best interveiwer of a racing personality on TV by a country mile.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I think Shane Kelly got there travelling so well and just forgot what horse he was on and went for it a bit too early. Thats not to say the result would have been any different, but had he have just sat in Yeats’s slipstream until the last furlong or so and tried to deliver him late, instead of coming upsides him and getting into a battle, maybe he’d have got closer. That said it was a great performance by Geordieland to finish so far in front of the rest of them, and of course hats off to Yeats on what surely must be his best performance yet.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Didn’t see the ride so no comment on that one. However, big Macs credibility as a race analyst should be taken with a pinch of salt. It could also be argued however he’s raised the profile of racing more than anyone in the history of the sport. Also, IMHO, he the best interveiwer of a racing personality on TV by a country mile.

thats neither here nor there bucknut, most people on here like Big Mac, but he could have waited till later on to mention the ride kelly gave, and not after such a historic moment that to me will always remember it along with Big Mac’s over reaction rant!!!

bucketnut
    • Total Posts 63

Agreed. JM’C has a very astute brain but his mouth doesn’t always consult it.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

a) Big Mac had every right express an opinion, albeit I disagree.

b) G/Land would probably win 1/10 against Yeats under any jockey, racecourse, raceplan, or conditions…Yeats is simply far superior on all known form.

c) Let’s look at the horse and Mr Kelly:
    Horse acquired for approx. £15k
    Yesterday, it picked up a cool £54K, and beat, theoretically better
    Horses.
    Shane Kelly has won £133k on the horse, more than any jockey (so
    he must be doing something right!)

So the connections should not be too unduly worried by Big Mac, Stupid Carson and the nodding Darley’s joint comments! :)

regards,

doyley

batman
    • Total Posts 489

no one dissputing Big Mac’s right to voice his view Doyley it was the manner in which he did it….

• Total Posts 1415

no one dissputing Big Mac’s right to voice his view Doyley it was the manner in which he did it….

Thats just the way he is. Everyone knows what they are likely to get from Big Mac surely you don’t expect him to change at his time of life?

He’s a character in a sport that needs them (IMO).

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Thats just the way he is. Everyone knows what they are likely to get from Big Mac surely you don’t expect him to change at his time of life?

i love him myself (No not in that way :wink: ) but it was Yeats moment and i think he spoiled it by his rant if he had waited a couple of mins more that is all!!!

• Total Posts 1415

i love him myself (No not in that way :wink: ) but it was Yeats moment and i think he spoiled it by his rant if he had waited a couple of mins more that is all!!!

Fair enough.

Worry not though, Yeats’ win will go in the record books, Big Mac’s rant won’t. :wink:

A genuine great horse. It’ll be a long time before we see another stayer as good as him.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

We might just have seen one! (not seriously)……….Patkai very impressive in the Queen’s Vase.

Colin

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

We might just have seen one! (not seriously)……….Patkai very impressive in the Queen’s Vase.

Colin

The Racing Post seem not to agree, they have got Patkai about a stone below form!

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Colin

The Racing Post seem not to agree, they have got Patkai about a stone below form!

Get him in the Ebor!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

DJ, Yeats’s best RPR as a 3-y-o was 117.

Patkai was given 109 for winning a 12f. handicap at Haydock.

Not sure what I’m trying to say at the moment, as I wasn’t seriously comparing the two horses.

The RPR for the Vase (93) seems very low, what have your esteemed publication come up with, or, if they haven’t yet, what do you think it is likely to be?

Colin

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I was being rather tongue in cheek myself Seabird. A rating of 93 seems extraordinarily low. Personally I’d be inclined to have Patkai running to low mid 110’s and ignore the runs of Judgethemoment and Moments Notice who were almost certainly flattered by the steady gallop.

The Queens Vase is often a bit of a daft race, they never get strung out enough for the good horses to show their superiority, and the principals usually end up rated higher at the end of the season that they were able to show in the Vase. Last year’s first 2 an excellent case in point, the bare form is held down by the likes of Pret A Porter but Mahler and Veracity were rated 14 and 13 lb higher than what they ran to in the Queens Vase by the end of the year. It would be no surprise to me if Patkai has a 120+ effort in him at 14f+ later in the year.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

I was impressed with Patkai and I’d expect him to be aimed at the Leger. It’s the obvious target for a horse like him in the second half of the season whereas Tartan Bearer and Conduit could well go elsewhere.

They’d all struggle to give weight to Look Here, however.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Riding Geordieland to win a Gold Cup was always going to be a big ask.

It is difficult to see what Kelly could have done differently, he was almost bound to see too much daylight at some point.

Colin

Agreed Colin. Big Mac’s point would have been valid had there been somewhere for Georgdieland to hide…but the 3rd dropped out very quickly.

Geordieland looked to be going the better 2 furlongs and I suppose he could have checked him and sat in behind but his momentum would definately have suffered at a point where Yeats was just beginning to be wound up….once Yeats was in full flow I don’t think Geordieland would have the acceleration to pass him like he did 2 furlong out…..it was a case of nowhere to hide IMO and I think for a few strides Kelly thought he would swoop past but Yeats was just a bit slower to get going which really put GL at a big disadvantage……for me Yeats would have done what Yeats did no matter what and like you say not a lot Kelly could do about it.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 258 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.