The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John McCririck

Home Forums Horse Racing John McCririck

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Didn’t he tried to encourage people to come racing on Channel 4 racing.

Soon changed his tune :P

Salsabil
    • Total Posts 23

The odious, snot eating dinosaur should have been pensioned off ten years ago.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Thought he was also one of the people wanting Gloria Victis to run in the Gold Cup as well? However, we shouldn’t let the shadow of Gloria Victis hang over any decisions made about horses running.

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

Was he really calling the whole sport of horse racing "Barbaric", or just some small aspect of it?

Anyway, there are any number of people in racing who make fools of themselves, but where would we be without 10% of the jockeys, trainers, and owners; 20% of the commentators; 40% of the people in positions of authority; 50% of the pundits; 97% of the tipsters; and maybe one or two posters on TRF. This is not an industry where we can afford to throw out all the jokers, it would be far too serious and uptight a place to do business. We need all the variety that the jokers bring to the party, and it gives us something to debate.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

McCrirrick’s outbursts are ignored by "Racing" people these days. Trouble is whenever there’s a racing item breaking in to the front pages he’s the go to "racing man" for any News organisation. So the general public still listen to what he says.

Certainly a character, helped popularise racing in the past. Whether he has the same effect now is doubtful.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Surely all you whip mullah’s are in agreement with the big man.

No?

:?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

I’m for a

reduction

in use of the whip Cav, not abolition. I’d be very much

against

abolition.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Oh ya, I forgot that Ginge.

Eight strokes not barbaric.
    Nine strokes barbaric.

I stand corrected.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Are we going to make this yet another whip debate thread Cav?

Jockeys wanted a fixed number.

Of course it is not a case of 8 ok and 9 not, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. In F1 racing there is a speed limit in the pit area. Is 1 kmh an hour over that limit dangerous? If over the limit the driver pays a drive through penalty.

Although I do hope there can be some more discretion by stewards.

For example, if a jockey believes a horse needs a reminder a mile out and another half a mile out. Then turns in to the straight and uses his whip at intervals (ie gives the horse plenty of time to respond to every stroke) – yet goes one (or even sometimes two) over the limit… Then I would like the stewards to use their discretion.

If however, a jockey hits his horse 9 times after the last, 8 should remain the limit.

Can’t remember who on here first suggested this:
    I also believe a 100 day rule would be best. Where after 100 days the previous offence is either no longer taken in to account, or (if it was a more serious offence) is lessened in the totting up process.

Are you listening Silvoir? :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 750

To paraphrase Voltaire:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I know this is away from the topic but everytime I hear people say this it gets me. Voltaire never said that. It was a quote in a book about Voltaire by Evelyn Beatrice Hall. The author was saying that was the sort of thing Voltaire would think. Voltaire never said it. Just a popular misconception.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

To paraphrase Voltaire:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I know this is away from the topic but everytime I hear people say this it gets me. Voltaire never said that. It was a quote in a book about Voltaire by Evelyn Beatrice Hall. The author was saying that was the sort of thing Voltaire would think. Voltaire never said it. Just a popular misconception.

Gawd, I’m one for the popular misconceptions, am I not ? :roll: ( Erm, I said that ! :oops: ) :lol:

In my humble defence, I did say paraphrase. Anyhow, regardless of who actually said it, I still agree with the sentiment expressed.

`Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too.’ – the actual quote from Francois-Marie Arouet, later parphrased by EBH. :wink:

* Although, in his A Book of French Quotations (1963), Norbert Guterman suggested that the probable source for Voltaire’s quotation was a line in a 6 February 1770 letter to M. le Riche: “Monsieur l’abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.”

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

In my humble defence, I did say paraphrase. Anyhow, regardless of who actually said it, I still agree with the sentiment expressed.

Who disagrees with the sentiment? I stated the same in my opening post, it’s where he’s allowed to express the opinion that matters.
    Racing channels shouldn’t repeatedly allow him to keep knocking the sport by referring to it as barbaric when there is no truth in the statement and they should be promoting the sport.

If McCririck feels that way, why is he involved in the sport? How does he square it with his love of hare coursing and fox hunting?

By all means if News at Ten or Sky News want his opinion that the sport is barbaric let them but not ATR or C4 Racing.
    The C4 boss who severely restricted McCririck appearances on C4 Racing a couple of years ago was very much on the ball and ahead of his time.
    Pity others didn’t take the hint and follow suit.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

You are labouring under the misconception that racing is considered or is actually newsworthy by the general public. The racing channels are trying to attract as many viewers as possible, therefore having a debate where every party agrees is hardly likely to make stimulating conversation or even watchable television.
    However, one might argue that by allowing someone to express such "extreme" opinions, especially when they appear so contradictory to his other opinions, that he is actually doing more harm than good for the opinion he is purported to represent.

My first memory of racing is watching the 1973 Grand National, whilst I have learned that Crisp put up the greatest performance in the history of the race, it does not alter the fact that I cried watching it and my young mind could not conclude anything other than it was cruel and barbaric. When one considers that the Grand National is most likely to be an individual’s first racing experience, it sends completely the wrong message about the sport and its consignment to history might actually benefit the sport in the long term.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

You could ague that, if it wasn’t for the National, 99% of the British public would not have a ‘racing experience’ ever. It’s the only day in the year that I can mention racing to my work colleagues and they show any interest.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

You could ague that, if it wasn’t for the National, 99% of the British public would not have a ‘racing experience’ ever. It’s the only day in the year that I can mention racing to my work colleagues and they show any interest.

By Jove, that’s it…..a whip-free National !!

Jockeys may only use the whip for steering or a slap down the shoulder. No strikes after the last. Joe Public’s happy, BHA praised to high heaven, animal rights brigade appeased.

Then back to normal.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Jockeys may only use the whip for steering or a slap down the shoulder. No strikes after the last. Joe Public’s happy, BHA praised to high heaven, animal rights brigade appeased.

Then back to normal.

What about the dead horses?

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Then back to normal.

What about the dead horses?

Are there

always

dead horses ?

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 258 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.