The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jockeys switched at the eleventh hour

Home Forums Horse Racing Jockeys switched at the eleventh hour

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

On a day where 48 hour decs had made a farce of the published racecards, we had an interesting situation at Haydock last night.

Tom Tate switched the jockeys on his two horses in the 8.10. With Micky Fenton getting off the rank outsider and onto the fav, with Paul Mulrennan switching in the oppsoite direction.

Does anyone else find this unacceptable? The excuses given were feeble from what I hear. They were along the lines of Welsh Emperor (who was the strong fav at around evens throughout the day) was suddenly in with a better chance than Balcarve Nov (who had been rank outsider throughout the day) now that the predictable rain had come and Fenton had changed his mind.

Is there even going to be a token fine for this? How can you bet early these days with 48 hour decs, clerks of the course and now trainers moving the goalposts at the eleventh hour?

doublethetrouble
    • Total Posts 233

seems you can make the rules up as you go along

bluechariot
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

I am surprised this was allowed, maybe Silvoir can enlighten us.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Wasn’t there something odd about the jockey booking on Welsh Emperor in this very same race last year?

TC definitely had his first winner since his ban on WE – but if I remember correctly he wasn’t originally scheduled to ride it? Anyone recall exactly what happened?

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

I can answer my own question as I have just googled it – TC was given the "chance" ride after Callan got stuck in traffic apparently…

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Did he get stuck in traffic in the same way that Wallace apprentice, who was set to ride Hatton at Brighton, got stuck in traffic?

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3136

At declaration time the going at Haydock was good to firm which suits the other horse while WE prefers soft.
    Can’t see what difference TC being declared to ride it instead of NC would make to punters .
    I’m afraid situations like this, combined with loads of non runners and horses being declared with the useless proviso of "will only run if going suitable" are a product of the farcical 48 hour decs.
    Rather than making money for racing I wonder how much they are losing for racing from punters backing all these non runners, no wonder the levy is down.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

The rule should be that you can only change a jockey if it means for example that your chosen rider cannot make it in time or the chosen jockey is injured.

On a similar note if your Number One Stable Jockey becomes available then they should be aloud to change if the Stable has a runner in a race.

I dont think they should allow changes just for the sake of it as it makes a total mockery of it.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. I suppose it’s just another rule that’s missing, it only cheats punters, so I suppose those in charge won’t see it as a problem.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

The rule should be that you can only change a jockey if it means for example that your chosen rider cannot make it in time or the chosen jockey is injured.

On a similar note if your Number One Stable Jockey becomes available then they should be aloud to change if the Stable has a runner in a race.

I dont think they should allow changes just for the sake of it as it makes a total mockery of it.

I agree with your first bit.

But not with your second. I hate seeing people jocked off because the stable preferred jockey is suddenly free.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

What i meant in the second sentence was say for example their are two evening meetings on say Leicester and Sandown and a Stable had runners at both meetings declared and the Stable Jockey was booked to ride at Leicester for his retained yard.

Now in the morning Leicester gets abandoned but the Retained jockey gets told to go to Sandown and ride only the horses that his trainer has declared.

I too am not in favour of jockeys being given the push because all of a sudden a so called better one becomes available.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.