The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Japan Cup  Sun 26 Nov 6.20 am

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Japan Cup  Sun 26 Nov 6.20 am

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Wit,<br>     Many thanks for all the links, I’ve just watched the race on ATR                 😮

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Frankie outridden by the much maligned Yutake Take I thought, otherwise she might have finished second.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

He won it but it was hardly breath taking. OB has shown that she is around the 122 mark and DI was all out to win. Dettori suggesting she is the best mare in the world (Pride is IMO) so it automatically means (in his mind) that DI is the best colt in the world over that trip. Maybe someone should show Frankie the Arc video…

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

You’re entitled to your opinion Aidan, as long as I’m entitled to mine:D<br>

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Absolutely Zorro. He is obviously a very good colt but this mornings race did not confirm the absolute superstar status we have been told about. He struggled a third place in a decent Arc but would have been floored by the like of the recent European greats such as  Montjeu, Peintre Celebre etc.

Maybe the trip to Europe took the edge off him (it seems to have had a bad effect on Hearts Cry as well) but I guess we will never know now.

Where you very impressed with his win?

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

<br>kind of sounds like it – see lead article on RP site at the moment.

best regards

wit

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Agree with Aidan more or less. Ouija Board is for me a 124 – 125 horse which doesn’t make Deep Impact 130 even. It’s difficult to get Deep Impact above 128 overall.

Best horse in the world? He’s up there with the best over a mile and a half but IMO there are no outstanding middle distance horses around. He’s certainly no super horse and I again agree with Aidan he would’ve been blown away by Peintre Celebre and Montjeu at his best.

<br>

(Edited by The Market Man at 6:14 pm on Nov. 26, 2006)

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Reading Zorro’s piece now, how on earth could that performance be called a "scintillating winner". For sure he has been that impressive in the past but his win today was workmanlike at best.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

On all known form (ignoring the everyone loves Ouija Board hype) Deep Impact should’ve beaten Ouija Board, it’s no surprise on any form.

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

Aidan’s parsimony in regard to Ouija Board is regrettable,at best.You would have to deny any form of largesse at the hands of Coolmore, before I could trust the impartiality of your opinions.

We are all condemned by our prejudices,but to confuse what Dettori does on a horse with what he says on the ground is elementary.God forbid that anyone might do that in Keiran Fallon’s case.

Personally I beleive this to be Ed Dunlop’s penultimate hurragh.I don’t rate him at all as a trainer and given his altered circumstances,the upcoming season is likely to be challenging.To carry that opinion  when assessing OB would be dillusional.She’s come up four seasons in a row,been nursed through a shaky patch during the spring of 2005 and not had break for the bigger part of 18 months.Great job,well done to both the staff and trainer.

Numerical ratings are an arbitrary construct and deserve a lot less attention than they receive here.Reward for labour in this world is similarly feckless and about as reliable as a guide to performance.<br>We can talk about any consultancy work when you swing an invite to Ballydoyle for me.

Until then I’m fairly busy knockin out the rent week in week out.

regards,bzm  

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

the references to Montjeu raise an interesting question:

would El Condor Pasa (on 134) be regarded as Japan’s best ever horse, if only he had not spent his whole time as a 4 year old racing in France ?

best regards

wit

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 259

"He struggled a third place in a decent Arc"

Perhaps reverting to his customary running style contributed to his victory in the Japan Cup. Why they changed a well worked formula for the Arc I don’t know. He could have settled at the rear and come with a late scintillating run down the centre of the track and mowed them all down………then got disqualified.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

Japan Cup video up (scroll down to list of races closing 10 October):

http://japanracing.jp/information/list2006.html

<br>meanwhile, i’ve been watching the 1999 Arc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnxYhvdx3n8

against the 2006 Arc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t0IC0uF_l4

<br>IMO, 2006 doesn’t hold a candle to 1999 –  Montjeu was 135 and El Condor Pasa 134 by IFHA reckoning, while they can’t get any 2006 runner out of the 120s:

http://www.horseracingintfed.com/resour … Horses.asp

<br>best regards

wit

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

report from Vic Zast:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15906639/

vs report from Yomiuri:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20061127TDY24002.htm

<br>visitor more impressed than local ?

best regards

wit

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

If he had been out the back at Longchamp, Take would be just as vilified for allowing Rail Link and Pride first run.

Not sure why the Japanese report claims "the 4-year-old colt overpowered a classy international field" when there were only 2 foreign runners, and one of those was a 90/1 shot.

(Edited by Gareth Flynn at 9:28 am on Nov. 27, 2006)

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3708

<br>Perhaps the explanation for the Longchamp tactics is simply that Take had a ‘Steve Harmison first ball’ moment and succumbed to the pressure of the occasion and his previous problems riding in Europe.

Back on home territory, Deep Impact and Take, like the Aussies, resume their rightful place in front of adoring fans.

AP

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Why are people lauding DI as some type of superhorse?

He had his chance in the arc, had no excuse whatsoever, and was found out. Very good horse, but nowhere near the pantheon of greats.

Imho 😉

And … how annoying is it for people to claim OB as the best mare in the world? OB is a credit to herself, with her finishing kick, attitude and ability to take her racing. But, Pride is 5/6 pounds better than her. Now, that is what I call overreacting 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.