The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

J H Bowman

Home Forums Horse Racing J H Bowman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

In the short time he has been riding over here, J H Bowman has won 10 of the 31 races he has ridden in (SR 32%).  Can we draw any conclusions from these stats?

Is he a good jockey and horses run well for him?

Does he have a good agent?

Has he been lucky?

I am firmly of the opinion that horses win races and far too much credit is given to jockeys for their part in the success.  When a new jockey comes on the scene like this and has a big impact and strike rate, I question if this is correct.<br>

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

I have watched his winning rides and IMO he is a very good jockey.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

I notice he has got a few horses into trouble but that stat shows he is a good jock no matter how good the bookings were. It is nice to see more foreign jockeys coming over and i believe he is over for 3 months. On the other hand for every ride he has he’s taking it from some poor lad who is driving up and down the motorway everyday to try and scrape a living together, saying that it is a dog eat dog world. BTW Freddy Johannsen can stay in Sweden as he is a shocking jock imo.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I think he’s an exceptionally good jockey, from what I have seen of him, and hope that his three month probationary stay is extended considerably.

Horses do win races, there’s no denying that, but there has to be some assistance from the saddle (a horse certainly won’t position itself) and class does tell.

Hpefully it’ll give the likes of Jamie Spencer and co. the kick up the a*se they need.

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Good jockeys are the same as good bricklayers; they make it look easy. You try it!<br>While it is true that there are many competent jockeys out there who could ride the everyday winners, finding a man with that little bit extra is more difficult. There is a fine line between a journeyman and a maestro. I believe this man is going to go home with a big bag of winnings (if he does go home). Good luck to him and all who follow his rides!<br>His record is in Oz is worth a look, if you don’t believe me, & it’s not an easy life out there.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Quote: from Purwell on 12:57 am on May 17, 2007[br]Good jockeys are the same as good bricklayers; they make it look easy. You try it!

Rubbish.

Frankie made a complete horlicks of my new wall.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Quote: from Alderbrook on 1:33 am on May 17, 2007[br]

Quote: from Purwell on 12:57 am on May 17, 2007[br]Good jockeys are the same as good bricklayers; they make it look easy. You try it!

Rubbish.

Frankie made a complete horlicks of my new wall.

That’s not the only thing he seems to make a Horlicks of these days….

He’s not a patch on Kerrin McEvoy IMHO.

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

Frankies a genius, its just that at the moment he has to ride Godolphins Donkeys!!

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Bowman isn’t strangling many, is he? ;)

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

As you know, Wallace, I’m a great believer in the importance of jockeyship. Their ability is often enhanced by getting the best rides, but I’ve seen enough over the last 50 years to be convinced that it’s often jockeyship that wins/loses races.

I haven’t seen very much of JH Bowman, but I doubt whether luck has played much part in his excellent start over here. I think we will hear a lot more about him.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4580

Quote: from Alderbrook on 1:33 am on May 17, 2007[br]

Rubbish.

Frankie made a complete horlicks of my new wall.<br>

It could be worse, you could have Fran Ferris as your tiler…….

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Artemis, I have been considering changing the weighting for jockeyship in my calculations and this example goes some way to confirming these thoughts.  

Separating out the jockey part in winning the race from the raw ability of the horse is not an easy process and people like John Whitley seem to have spent years on this.  Obviously a simple strike rate is not the best tool and a more sophisticated approach is required.<br>

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Why not use your eyes Wallace?

It’s a bit early to say yet regards Bowman but you couldn’t crib his start.

Never been a great fan of recent Aussie jockeys, seem a bit weak in the finish to me. Craig Williams and Kerrin McEvoy fall into this category. Some of the media have gone ott with regards McEvoy recently but thought he was powder puff in the finish at Chester last week in a race he should have won when outridden by Kinane. <br>Think Frankie would have won on Arabian Gulf :biggrin:

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Wallace,

I believe weighting jockeys is more subjective than objective and I agree with Yeats that you have to form an opinion about who you think is effective and who is less effective.  Also, you could take into account the opinions of those whose judgement you respect – certain journalists, perhaps and definitely a few trainers.

Objectively, several people such as John Whitley have tried to measure jockey ability and their results can be taken into account. Not many jockeys can be profitably followed by backing all their mounts over a long period, although some do have purple patches. These purple patches are seldom due to luck and any jockey who enjoys such a period or rides several winners at a meeting should be noted.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Horses win races, but jockeys are there to give them to the best chance of doing just that.

Thats my view anyway…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.