The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ITV – your dream presentation team

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV – your dream presentation team

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

Just looked at yesterday’s ITV listings for Saturday afternoon as an example. They were showing repeats of the tea time game shows for most of the afternoon. It doesn’t really bother me which channel it’s on but for the price they are paying, if this is the normal TV schedule for a Saturday afternoon, then you would think that they would rather show live sport than repeats of crappy quizzes on their main channel :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 533
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/18/itv-matt-chapman-betting-ring-reporter-punters-horse-racing

Ooops Mr Chapman says “if Ed has had a stomach ache the previous day, I have to be able to take the mickey out of him for spending 10 hours on the toilet”.

Someone tell Mr Chapman about Ed’s stomach cancer, a better example might have been more appropriate :wacko:

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

I am quite pleased that Chapman has been given the job. Racing journos generally appear to be cringing sycophants who are scared to ask questions that may fall into the “awkward” category. Chapman would appear to be less likely than most to fall into this category.

Over the moon that Matt had got the gig. Will definitely make the coverage far more interesting. I assume as he is contracted for 80 days he will continue with most of his are stuff including the sunday forum. Line up not perfect but much better than the current presenting team.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Does he know much about betting and does much happen in the betting ring?

Dave Yates makes a good point about Chapman in todays paper, something he correctly states is the scourge of modern broadcasters and something no one has more of than Chapman. A weakness for interminable self-reference.

He does it in a self deprecating way. He is very subtle as well with his humour on occasions. I think the moaning about Matt’s appointment is more to do with him outshining others while presenting. Has a great racing knowledge through him being the dazzlers agent for many years. He also genuinely loves the sport unlike a few just now who seem to be just going through the motions.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I’m pleased Matt Chapman has the gig with ITV and I think he will do well, getting the break he deserves.

I have been his biggest critic over the years – he once famously asked me “why do you hate me” (for the record I’ve never hated him – he just frustrated me because his buffoonery and ego got in the way of his being potentially one of the best interviewers / presenters in the business) he also accused me of showboating by using my blog to criticise him (the irony of that one was not lost on me)

He has mellowed / matured over the years and has reigned in his excesses but not to the detriment of saying what he thinks – you may not always agree with him but, at least, he doesn’t sit on the fence with a backside full of splinters.

He was MC at Ascot on Shergar Cup day and he was much more bearable than he was a few years ago – I actually came away without earache or wanting to throttle him.

Say this quietly but when I used to go to Towcester I actually got to enjoy he raceday presentation, he could still be mischievous at times but some of the interviews he managed to get with trainers were informative – as I alluded to earlier he is a very good interviewer when he doesn’t manage to pi$$ off his interviewee and that’s something he seems to do less and less.

I long gave up with C4 but (and this is something I thought I would never say) Matt my just tempt me to watch the ITV coverage – I just hope it’s to see him show his true potential and not take part in car crash TV.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

The problem is that Chapman will be wasted, limited as he is to a betting ring role. He should be the main presenter or interviewer; Ed Chamberlin is, I’m sure, a very nice chap but he’s dull as ditchwater.

Participant
    • Total Posts 350

I agree, Chapman is much better presenting and provoking good if sometimes controversial discussion rather than being out in the “field”. That said I’m glad he’s on the team.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Chapman has his foot in the door
    it’s a matter of time

Blackbeard to conquer the World

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

The problem is that Chapman will be wasted, limited as he is to a betting ring role. He should be the main presenter or interviewer; Ed Chamberlin is, I’m sure, a very nice chap but he’s dull as ditchwater.

Read the Guardian article and he says he has been ringing itv with ideas for the programme so he is not going to just be in the betting ring.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

he has been ringing itv with ideas for the programme

What’s the number?

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

ITV racing will show 40 days of racing on its main channel, the broadcaster has announced.

The commercial broadcaster, which takes over from Channel 4 as the sport’s exclusive terrestrial partner from New Year’s Day, had already committed to showing a minimum of 34 days on its main channel.

Sandown’s Tingle Creek meeting, the Coral Welsh National and Cheltenham Trials Day are three of the most high-profile absentees from the schedule and will instead be broadcast on ITV4.

ITV will not broadcast a day of racing on its main channel between Cheltenham on New Year’s Day and the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival, almost two-and-a-half months later.

The July Cup plus valuable meetings from Ascot and York will all be shown on what ITV have billed ‘Super Saturday’, for now ending the possibility of any of those fixtures moving to a different date on one of the most congested days of the season.

Another winner is Newmarket, whose Craven meeting in April, not shown by Channel 4 in recent years, will be broadcast free-to-air on ITV4.

Newmarket has also benefited with two of its key days, the 1,000 Guineas on Sunday, May 7 and the Saturday of its Future Champions meeting on October 14, among the six added to ITV’s original roster for its main channel.

Cheltenham’s New Year’s Day fixture, Sandown’s jumps finale, Super Saturday and Haydock’s Sprint Cup are the other four days added to the original schedule.

A total of 14 days of jumps and 26 days of Flat racing will be shown on the main channel.

ITV main channel schedule for 2017

January

Sun 1: Cheltenham & Musselburgh

March

Tue 14: Cheltenham Festival – Day 1

Wed 15: Cheltenham Festival – Day 2

Thu 16: Cheltenham Festival – Day 3

Fri 17: Cheltenham Festival – Day 4

April

Thu 6: Aintree – Grand National meeting Day 1

Fri 7: Aintree – Grand National meeting Day 2

Sat 8: Aintree – Grand National meeting Day 3

Sat 22: Ayr & Newbury (Scottish Grand National)

Sat 29: Sandown & Haydock (Jumps Finale)

May

Sat 6: Newmarket & Goodwood (2,000 Guineas)

Sun 7: Newmarket & Hamilton (1,000 Guineas)

Sat 20: Newbury & Newmarket (Lockinge)

June

Fri 2:Epsom – Derby meeting Day 1

Sat 3:Epsom – Derby meeting Day 2

Tue 20:Royal Ascot – Day 1

Wed 21:Royal Ascot – Day 2

Thu 22: Royal Ascot – Day 3

Fri 23: Royal Ascot – Day 4

Sat 24: Royal Ascot – Day 5

July

Sat 8: Sandown & Haydock (Eclipse)

Sat 15: ‘Super Saturday’ (Newmarket, Ascot, York)

Sat 29: Ascot & York (King George)

August

Tue 1: Glorious Goodwood – Day 1

Wed 2: Glorious Goodwood – Day 2

Thu 3: Glorious Goodwood – Day 3

Fri 4: Glorious Goodwood – Day 4

Sat 5: Glorious Goodwood – Day 5

Wed 23: York Ebor – Day 1

Thu 24: York Ebor – Day 2

Fri 25: York Ebor – Day 3

Sat 26: York Ebor – Day 4

September

Sat 9: Haydock, Ascot & Kempton (Sprint Cup)

Sat 16: Doncaster & Chester (St Leger)

October

Sat 14: Newmarket & York (Dewhurst)

Sat 21: Ascot – British Champions Day

November

Sat 18: Cheltenham & Lingfield (Open meeting Saturday)

Sat 25: Haydock & Ascot (Betfair Chase)

December

Sat 2: Newbury & Newcastle (Hennessy/Fighting Fifth)

Tue 26: Kempton & Wetherby (King George)

So on New Year’s Day racing will burst on to ITV with Ed Chamberlain telling us that it’s the dawn of a new era blah blah blah and then the millions of TV viewers who only watch BBC and ITV won’t see hide not hair of the sport for 10 weeks.

Way to sell the sport guys!!

And before you start saying what difference does it make whether it’s ITV1 or ITV4 if the viewing figures are to be believed there will be a massive drop off in viewers when the racing drops of the main channel. That may be ok for us diehards but how does it attract new people to the sport?

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Have to agree patriot1, big blaze of glory and then nothing for weeks. That’ll really get both racing and casual viewers tuned in. :wacko:

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Even discounting ITV4, 40 days live on a mainstream channel is still something fans of most sports would bite your arm off for. I say fans because the powers that be of certain sports can hardly complain about coverage when they sold their soul to the pay TV devil. If you can’t people interested in racing with that level of coverage you never will.

What do other sports get on free to air? 2 weeks of Tennis (plus Davis Cup if Britain are playing). Rugby Union gets Six Nations and World Cup. Cricket is long gone, right after a fantastic 2005 Ashes IIRC. Boxing very occasionally crops up on 5 but is essentially gone although you can sell a big fight on PPV. Golf is now recently fully departed although for years it was only the Open and half of the Masters but that’s probably all most people wanted to watch.

If we can get people watching Cheltenham, the National, Royal Ascot and the Classics perhaps we should be happy.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

So on New Year’s Day racing will burst on to ITV with Ed Chamberlain telling us that it’s the dawn of a new era blah blah blah and then the millions of TV viewers who only watch BBC and ITV won’t see hide not hair of the sport for 10 weeks.

Way to sell the sport guys!!

And before you start saying what difference does it make whether it’s ITV1 or ITV4 if the viewing figures are to be believed there will be a massive drop off in viewers when the racing drops of the main channel. That may be ok for us diehards but how does it attract new people to the sport?

I agree with those sentiments.

If anything is going to hold the attention of the casual viewer surely it has to be a jump race over a flat race?

Not sure who is pressing the buttons but there seems to be quite a bias towards the Flat. Even the announced personnel show a distinct leaning towards the Flat. In fact there doesn’t seem to be a National Hunt team at all. Channel 4 went through a period of using Down/Plunkett for National Hunt coverage and for the most part I thought it worked reasonably well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

By that TV schedule does that mean Newmarket’s Cambridgeshire meeting 28th-30th September 2017 will be shown on ITV4.
    5 top class Group Races…
    …they won’t be too pleased with that at HQ. :unsure:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Not bothered that there’s loads on ITV 4. Racing is fortunate it,s had so much live on free to air and I would think eventually only the big meetings will be on ITV or whoever has it and atr and racing UK will be where you will need to go to see most of the racing.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.