The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is this healthy for Racing ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is this healthy for Racing ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1225

There is a 6 runner Group 3 race in Ireland tomorrow at 6.15 that is a St.Leger Trial.
    I am not implying that anything is inappropriate.
    However all 6 runners are trained by either Aidan or Joseph O’ Brien.
    Is that what we really want to see ?

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 545

The overall Coolmore domination is such that they are providing most of the runners for various pattern races, partly because I think the will to take them on is diminishing.

The Derby this year is a perfect example.

Coolmore have a skilful knack of retaining the cream of the stock they breed and I would imagine the global pool they sell into, if not diminishing, isn’t getting any bigger.

potato
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 832

I don’t want to see it happen but bearing that in mind it is up to me to train and own a racehorse and put it in the race and take on the family.

If I don’t do that then I have no ground to blame any trainer who has also not put a horse in the race and taken them on.

It is as it is there will always be somebody who is at the top of the food chain. That’s the great white shark in the ocean and the o’briens in Irish flat racing.

Every now and again everyone will be scared off by the predator but at other times they will come and play and some times David will beat goliath.

Dahlia1973
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

Not quite like Michael Dickinson though with the first 5 in the ’83 Chelt Gold Cup.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26376

O’Brien’s dominate the staying breeding division so this is going to happen from time to time. Could even get worse as although Galileo’s time is limited, his two sons Australia and Camelot look strong staying influences.

value is everything
    KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 457

I see that Aidan O’Brien has 11 of the 12 remaining entries for The Futurity Trophy on Saturday.

I know that this will probably correct itself over time, but it does take the shine off just a little from what is one of my favourite races of the year.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2217

Aidan is prepared to run his horses far more than any other trainer. We see it in Ireland when he dominates group races numbers wise + now we are seeing it in England too.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1199

Mark Johnston would say otherwise Jack ;-)

Kristaltips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 38

@Gingertipster Camelot isn’t by Galileo, he’s by Montjeu.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8773

11 of the 12 in the Futurity. I don’t think I can remember a domination of entries like that in the UK for a group one race. Will end up, you would expect, with maybe five running. We could still see a top class horse(s) in all probability but it does take a bit of gloss off the race.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2400

I dont see it as a negative towards obrien in the vertem, its a massive negative to the british scene, where did taking a chance with a 2yo go? I mean aidens hardly dominating the 2yo season this year is he? Why isnt there a few group 2 types being thrown in at this with the idea of just collecting prize money? Crazy, if obrien wasnt there what would have happened to this race, its hardly like he has a “pinatubo” everyones running from… crazy stuff

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2217

I dont see it as a negative towards obrien in the vertem
    I don’t see much negativity towards AOB – just to the British trainers tbh.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2217

I dont see it as a negative towards obrien in the vertem
    I don’t see much negativity towards AOB – just to the British trainers tbh.

It really doesn’t help that the best British trainer doesn’t hold 2yo races in the same regard as some- John Gosden. PS i think he’s a fantastic trainer + am not necessarily against the way he trains them, as the blossom brilliantly with his training. The rest need to catch up.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7767

Out of interest are the O’Brien horses bred by Coolmore or is it just that Coolmore are very good at knowing which Galileo’s are worth purchasing as yearlings etc.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1332

Was hoping to see Juan Elcano in this race as he has been crying out for this trip ever since his debut win over 7F on heavy ground at Haydock, so unless he is injured it is disapointing that he has not been declared.

In general this situation is not on AOB, more of an enditment to other trainers as I find it hard to believe none of them have a staying type 2yr old suitable to run in this race and it is not as if going into the race AOB has a red hot favourite that people want to avoid either.

Feel a bit sorry for the sponsors that whilst they may get a decent field size it is not going to be asdiverse a feild as you would expect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.