Is "ladies day" condescending?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is "ladies day" condescending?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Archipenko
    Archipenko
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Women and men have been treated equally in other horse sports for decades. The way the horseracing industry gets excited over women jockeys is silly. Jockeys are jockeys. End of.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8285

Being very PC Newmarket holds a Ladies Day, Gentlemen’s Day and Couples Day on the 3 days of the July Cup Meeting and guess which day is always sold out and has Gok Wan dancing round the girls and the tv cameras dishing out advice and hoping he’ll get asked back to be the fashionista at Royal Ascot…please never again :wacko:

Are Ladies Days condescending? Not really the ladies seem to enjoy them often without even seeing a horse except on the in house TV suspended above the bar all their bets put on The Tote before the first race is off.
    IMO the horses are often much better turned out and they win a prize every race :yes: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7685

I know I’ve said this before but Ladies Days at racecourses are usually the only time us laidees can wear the expensive outfits we’ve bought for weddings that we will never have a chance to get our moneys worth out of. .

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

I bought a kilo of Anchor butter for £2.50 or €2.90 at the 5248 store last week. I thought it was a good deal but was surprised how butter straight from the fridge seems to dissappear more quickly than small wedges stored at room temperature.

As I resurface Barry Dennis’s famous words, now buried deep beneath the deep crust of these pages,

‘ Racing is soooo boring’

to ring them out to echo a worryingly new reality, I look to the coutiers wardrobe for some contrasting colour and pop and pizzazz.

Well I would be more than happy to take off my white straw brazilian belted hat and bend down and place Bachelor Hall’s discarded veggie burger wrapper on its rim, point with my turn of the old century cane at the bin, and so disturb some white laced underwear parasols and bubbly fasshionista inspired ladies underneath, some showing an ultra curvy S silhouette, provocatively provoked by a tight mono bosom corset, others with more rounded figures inspired by the comfort of lace undertrimmings, as I launched it to the bin.

” By God he’s got it ” (laughter)

” Dressed with a view to a kill,and keep your hats on laidees…. I am S M O O O O K I I I N ”

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8285

@moehat
    As much as I love it I’d be so uncomfortable in mine Moe, it’s much too restrictive and my hat would obscure the view of the horses for myself and perhaps those standing behind me, so I sadly leave it in is plastic covers and venture out to the races dressed more appropriately in clothes that enable me to move swiftly from paddock to bookies,up and down the stairs to view the race and hopefully back to the bookies to collect my winnings.
    One visit like that in my expensive wedding outfit would see me shoeless and hatless sitting on the steps sipping a pink gin and taking a selfie just to acknowledge the fact that I did actually go to the races in my mum of the bride outfit. Oh and good luck to the Ladies that do, very brave but most of them don’t move an inch from the first seat that they find and those that do are hunting out the flip flop lady extremely quickly before she sells out. ;-)

Gamble LOL you’re certainly Smooookiiin yourself whatever it is. :bye: Jac

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

Smokin is a shortened corruption of the slang catchphrase smoking which means in a heightened state of excitement or exhilaration and my own interpretaion – on your game. Jim Carey used it in the 92 film the mask. :good:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7685

Me too, Jac . The only time I dressed up for racing was when we went to Newmarket that time and there was torrential rain; and I hadn’t even taken a brolly with me ! Thankfully the water ran through the gaps in my strappy shoes. But DIL had her hen do at Market Rasen and they all loved getting dressed up.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8285

Newarket can catch you out like that Moe, one minute it’s hot and balmy and then suddenly the black clouds decend and torrential rain pours down to ruin many an expensive outfit. :rose: Jac

JJMSports
    JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2019

Not condescending at all. Is good marketing, as it works!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2121

Great interview with Katie Walsh there in the Opening Show. To paraphrase:

Oli Bell: Katie, it’s ladies’ day. We’re standing beside a jump. You’re a jockey, and also a lady.

Katie Walsh: Yeah. Stop going on about it. It’s been done to death and nobody actually cares except the telly.

Btw: Why does every male racing presenter have to use the patronising bingo phrase “her smile lit up X racecourse” during any discussion about female jockeys? They don’t say this about male jockeys except maybe James Bowen riding his first big winner at the age of 9.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1124

Being very PC Newmarket holds a Ladies Day, Gentlemen’s Day and Couples Day on the 3 days of the July Cup Meeting and guess which day is always sold out and has Gok Wan dancing round the girls and the tv cameras dishing out advice and hoping he’ll get asked back to be the fashionista at Royal Ascot…please never again

whats the couples day all about?

Swingers?

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 972

Day dedicated to backing two in a race?

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25856

Only two, Kev?

value is everything
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.