The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish racing

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

I wouldn’t agree that RUK have a better product. Yes they might spend an extra few minutes waffling on at length about every horse in a 12 runner race at Catterick, but their presenters are bland and the station makes little effort to provide anything other than just racing pictures. At least with ATR we have programs such as ontheline, the Monday view, Friday focus, get in, jumpers and bumpers, the final furlong podcast, etc. These engage people far more than a painstaking analysis of the 2:45 from kelso.

Depends what the punter wants, Wex. You can keep most of the stuff you mention as far as I am concerned, although Jamie Lynch is good and Hugh Taylor under-used, some good points on the Sunday Forum etc… Mug punters ringing in to moan doesn’t interest or entertain me. Those that want to be entertained/engaged may well prefer ATR…

Can see information/“waffling/painstaking analysis” is sometimes “bland” to those not interested in those things. Personally, I want to learn and/or be informed/given the best chance to profit – so prefer RUK.

Value Is Everything
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

I do wonder if ATR will attempt to strike back. Are there any racecourse deals due to expire soon?

Most of the deals have been done like Stratford, Leicester and Taunton.

The link I posted stated Sky were going around the courses with the begging bowls but the Jockey clubs courses are obviously not going anywhere, the Yorkshire tracks have stated previously they do not like Sky after the debarcle in 2005 and after that there is not many left to beg from.

RUK deals are secure we know how much far they went when Doncaster left the channel I think most deals have at least another five years to go.

Sky have sat back for too long, they left the HD languishing, have allowed courses to walk away and let RUK take control, they should have rebranded as Sky Racing last year and sold themselves to the courses now they find themselves in this situation.

When RUK started and John McCririck on the first day of the revamped ATR stood at Southwell and chastised people for called ATR All The Rubbish the people who ran it never fought back and maybe have themselves to blame.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I understand that point of view Ginge but in retort to that all I’d say is that if a punter is waiting to hear the opinion on a race from whoever happens to be on RUK that day, then they could only be described as a casual punter at best. Any serious punter would have a better system than listening to the pre-race ramblings of pundits.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

I understand that point of view Ginge but in retort to that all I’d say is that if a punter is waiting to hear the opinion on a race from whoever happens to be on RUK that day, then they could only be described as a casual punter at best. Any serious punter would have a better system than listening to the pre-race ramblings of pundits.

I’m always learning, Wex.
    On the whole, yes, it would probably now suit me if there was absolutely no analysis at all – because I’ve already done my own analysis and come to conclusions only for RUK and now Timeform 1-2-3 analysis often ruining the odds for me. However, it’s no good ignoring what’s said. Nice listening to either like minded or those of opposing views to myself. Even occasionally making important points/comments which need taking in to account. In recent seasons must say have learnt from the likes of Willo (and Rowlands) on sectional times.

Value Is Everything
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

This is a dreadful move. Racing on both sides of the sea NEEDS an audience. Ive always believed that if the JC had any foresight at all they would have made RUK free to air anyway. A sport that is only accesible to fanatics dies

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

This is a dreadful move. Racing on both sides of the sea NEEDS an audience. Ive always believed that if the JC had any foresight at all they would have made RUK free to air anyway. A sport that is only accesible to fanatics dies

From what I have read this is all to do with SIS and not necessarily RUK.

When SIS signed up to RUK they own the rights to the tracks in Ireland and as a result of them doing this RUK deal which begins in April SIS seem obliged to provide RUK with the pictures and they have extended the deal with Irish tracks to 2023 from 2021.

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

I thought racing was trying to reach out to a new audience. All these tracks moving to a PPV channel is really going to work isn’t it.
    I hope ATR show real sour grapes over the coming year and scale back or even drop their existing coverage of Irish racing.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

I’m with Ginge. I much prefer the likes of Rachel Candelora (what a find she has been) doing the low-grade form in detail on RUK verus ATR’s ex-jockeys telling us what a ‘grand big sort’ a horse is or what an ‘absolute gentleman’ a trainer may be. RUK is intelligent and appeals to people who want to learn and challenge themselves as punters. In contrast, ATR is loud, crass and low-content. The Irish racing has perhaps been the exception with Gary O’Brien and Kevin Blake fairly sensible presenters, but even so Blake is considerably stronger in print and O’Brien is rather easy to tune out from.

The worry for the new world must be that RUK taking the Irish racing will mean some or all of the following:

– Increase in costs to fund media rights, new presenters and second channel – more advertising, more bookmaker segments and increased subscription fees

– Less analysis and more of a betting shop TV feel with a presenter doing rushed voiceover as they hop between races

– Lack of exposure for the lesser Irish meetings – which could be behind a red button or banished to the second channel more often than not.

– ATR with just a handful of UK tracks and whatever international stuff they can cobble together will no longer be viable at all.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

This article on the changeover suggests two British racecourses other than Ascot are considering moving to ATR?

Anyone have any idea which two courses are wanting to move?

https://www.racingpost.com/news/media-rights/key-questions-and-answers-about-ruks-poaching-of-irish-racing-from-atr/318117

Participant
    • Total Posts 566

I’m interested to see how this goes. Irish racing is pretty much the only reason I would watch ATR, but even that’s a bit of a struggle with ATR’s appalling picture quality. I’m hoping RUK uses this as an opportunity to improve their services and remove some of regular presenters/analysts who are far too dry and uninformative (David Cleary, anyone?).

Participant
    • Total Posts 82

Depressing. A better quality picture (if broadcast in full screen) but another barrier to any keen novice developing an interest in a minority sport

How much money the Irish courses got out of this deal vs the ATR offer would be interesting to know

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

Some bullet points:

. RUK is meant to be UK racing but I can envisage it giving Irish racing equal prominence.

. I agree with everything Ginger and Lost Soldier say on this topic!

. I can understand why Irish racing fans are unhappy.

. Surely in Ireland it is part of the fabric of the nation, not a minority sport?

. Big money is involved and RUK is elevating its position, therefore, it damn well ought to be be willing to make the necessary investment to cover the increased amount of racing properly, e.g. by creating a second channel.

. If RUK do lose Ascot and two other significant Jumps tracks it will be a major blow from my perspective. On the other hand, if the two tracks (which wouldn’t be Jockey Club racecourses) were the likes of Bangor/Chester, Goodwood, Salisbury or York I’d be delighted! It would give more space to summer jumping, which is particularly strong in Ireland.

. David Cleary is as dry as an overcooked turkey in the Sahara, however, he is a shrewd judge and I’d rather a low-key personality than Chapman.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I’m all for this if this leads to an improvment in picture quality which mars the majority of ATR’s coverage. Really don’t see why Ascot want to move back to ATR with this news.

I am concerned however if this leads to RUK upping the price for their coverage, odds-on I’d guess.

Participant
    • Total Posts 82

. RUK is meant to be UK racing but I can envisage it giving Irish racing equal prominence.

Any chance you voted for Brexit?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

It is a worry, Phil, but RUK will have to balance the risk of losing existing subscribers against how much new business can be gained from inhabitants of Ireland. Any significant price rise will increase the risk of the former while also reducing the potential amount of the latter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

Any chance you voted for Brexit?

I make that point to counter concerns expressed that, for example, a Grade 1 race in Ireland would have to play second fiddle to a Class 5 handicap at Bangor. With the growing and excessive focus on the Cheltenham Festival, RUK will be all over the opportunity to show racing from the country that dominated it in 2017. I have no opinion regarding membership of the EU.

Participant
    • Total Posts 82

Its good to know a Bangor class 5 would not get preference over an Irish Grade 1 was the point you were trying to make in your bullet point.

Re: the minority sport comment, the reality is Horse racing is a minority sport in every jurisdiction bar probably Hong Kong

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.