The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish racing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3467

Ruk have the rights from jan 1st 2019, that cant be good for helping the sport, what will ATR do lol?

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Atr is head and shoulders above RUK in terms of what they offer extra to the racing. Irish racing have shot themselves in the foot with this move

Participant
    • Total Posts 2027

This is really disappointing; enjoyed ATR’s enthusiasm. Not sure if many people will pay the extra for RUK

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

RUK is miles better than ATR but I will be annoyed if it raises its monthly subscription for a product that on some days will make its broadcasting of live racing too crowded (regular split screen and commentary for half a race is not on – there is RUK Extra online but this is not available on TV). Also the standard of Irish racecourse commentators is appalling.

Where do this week’s developments leave ATR? Nowhere. When contracts come up more and more British courses will make the leap to RUK, which will only exacerbate the problem of fitting everything in.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

I find RUK more professional, on the whole giving far better analysis both pre and post race of British racing than ATR. However, in my opinion at the moment ATR do a good job with Irish racing. This means ATR struggle to survive and RUK’s coverage gets worse, time spread too thinly on both UK and Irish racing. :negative:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

A statement of intent by Jockey Club Racecourses who effectively own RUK. They’ve also broken the partnership with Arena in which they jointly sold overseas racing rights. They are behind the new Tote for racecourses which begins operation on July 13 and it seems to me they have pretty big ambitions. Wouldn’t rule out a major online betting site at some point.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

RUK will not treat Irish Racing on equal like ATR does and I can see it going the same way as South African did, very silly of AIR/IHR.

This is why Sky did not rebrand ATR when they bought the controlling share.

I suspect ATR tracks will be merged in with Sky Sports Channel like Main Event and ATR will cease to exist.

RUK have got what they want they can now charge all they want and have complete control.

Irish Racing will eventually disappear from the screens as RUK won’t cope, Sky have never really been interested in horse racing to be honest.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3467

Not a fan of ruk myself,but on the whole like many have stated they will surely struggle to cope, i hate the overlap as it is of racing and you would imagine thag all british races lower grade or not will be prioritised on the day opposed to the irish regardless…. i hate those silly split screens especially when its a class 4 shown over a graded race

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A bad move for me. I watch loads of the Irish Flat meetings and I can’t afford to pay RUK subscription as it is. It was invaluable having the replays of the Irish meetings on ATR to catch up with the 2yo races in particular.

To be honest I just watch the actual races and some of the post race trainer interviews, so I don’t really have an opinion on who is the better broadcaster overall but you can readily form an opinion on the Free/Paid debate.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Apologies I have clicked report instead of quote to the above post.

If ARC decide to give the rights to RUK as well the channel will need two channels and this will cost money the fee will go up significantly.

If this happens RUK will just shove Irish Racing elsewhere and cherry pick the whole sport will go behind a wall and only itv will keep it in the public eye, if RUK courses get greedy with itv in the next renewal the whole sport could be taken away from free to air.

This is a very bad situation and the authorities should be talking to RUK about how they are becoming a monopoly.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Some people on Twitter are saying Ireland has sold itself to the devil and talk of a lot of money changing hands between RUK and Ireland.

Almost ultimate condemnation of the decision on twitter with people rightly pointing out that IHR have in effect put the sport behind a paywall.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Racing post discussion on the decision

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I wouldn’t agree that RUK have a better product. Yes they might spend an extra few minutes waffling on at length about every horse in a 12 runner race at Catterick, but their presenters are bland and the station makes little effort to provide anything other than just racing pictures. At least with ATR we have programs such as ontheline, the Monday view, Friday focus, get in, jumpers and bumpers, the final furlong podcast, etc. These engage people far more than a painstaking analysis of the 2:45 from kelso

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3467

I agree wex, i find racing uk very bland and i only watch it if i absolutely have to, ATR would be my first choice, listening to the ramble on about why a 100/1 shot might spring a surprise for 5 minutes is annoying

Atr has a much more “user friendly” view, although im not harvey and weavers biggest fans they atleast inject some character into what they are doing, ruk is like listening to an audio book.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3887

Dislike this news majorly…RUK will become even more of a rip off. I’ve got it for £10 per month on the BF deal….but many pay over the top for it, and to be honest, i don’t think they are perfect at all either.

I wouldn’t have their analysis as very good at all. Very basic and not worth £25 each month.

This will increase with Ire racing i am sure, and possibly a second channel.

There are many question marks about this announcement, like will they take on some of the Ire pundits?

It’s in their best interest to do a good job, but it is certainly going to be a very diluted product now.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Or pay for the rights to the irish to get rid of the opposition then when the renewals come up pay less for the rights next time as there will be no rival channel.

So in the end the IHR will lose out as RUK will just say “go away” when the next rights come up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

Terrible news. Although I prefer RUK’s coverage(better pictures, more analysis direct from race meetings and most importantly none of those bleeding postcode lottery adverts) I have consistently said that we need two dedicated racing channels for the amount of racing there is.

I do wonder if ATR will attempt to strike back. Are there any racecourse deals due to expire soon?

What I would say to those complaining about Irish racing moving to a subscription channel It’s already happened in recent years with Cricket, F1 and golf so racing is no different.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.